Suggestions for current hardware - DSD512, ECv2

Here’s a copy pasta elsewhere from me…

Maybe with better cooling and/or overclock you can do PCM>DSD1024 and ASDM7ECv2.
I wasn’t able to with 13900k/4090 in Meshlicious case with Z63 280mm NZXT Kraken AIO. For the brief 30 sec. or so before stuttering I could hear, I found I preferred 1024 w/AMSDM7EC 512+fs which I could do with just 13900k alone.
Returned 4090.

This can do 512 and sinc-MX with short delay if that’s all you want. Not good enough for me though.

1 Like

I can tell you that I would have installed Linux a long time ago, but I have to stick with Windows, at least for now. And I don’t have any problems with the combination of Windows and HQP when I’ve run through all possible scripts that all telemetry and bloatware have been removed. And there are a LOT of them.

Next I thought I’d try “Tiny Windows”, only takes 2gb of ram when running. A friend has it on his htpc and said it works fine.

At least for now, I don’t think it’s worth giving cuda anything other than filters. :smile:

I think too that you can do everything much easier with a processor. Cuda only helps with convolution.

CUDA can help freeing up CPU for the more complex modulators…

1 Like

Yes, if you don’t have enough power in the processor, I don’t need it for any modulator. It’s much cheaper to buy the most expensive processor.

1 Like

I go back on my word and yes that cuda helps in many things…

It probably got out of hand, so to speak. In addition to water cooling, I ended up buying a new case where I got the radiator directly on the side and also the video card. In addition, 3×140mm, 5×120mm fans and 32gb ddr5 6000mzh cl36.

In addition, I bought €1.5k speakers, anti-mod for the subwoofer, 24× Kontos acoustic panels, acoustic curtains and speaker stands…

If here for a moment. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I acquired a i9-13900k, thinking I would be able to do 192PCM—>DSD512/EC7v2/Sinc-Mx. (I also have a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB). Apparently, it is not sufficient, the music stutters every 3-5 sec. or so. (Gauss-XLa runs perfectly well). I tried plenty of overclocking tweaks, but no luck so far.

Has anyone been able to do it?

I was able to do it with an i7-13700K and the music didn’t stutter, the screen was a bit sticky during the time I tried it. I recommend trying the Intel Extreme Tuning application and pressing optimize now if you don’t want to go into the bios to adjust.

Edit.

No dropouts

sincmx

1 Like

I have to say, even if it’s a bit embarrassing… But an incredibly big improvement in sound when I bought the iFi Merury 0.5m usb cable between Neo Stream and Neo iDSD. Best buy ever.

1 Like

Do you have the CUDA offload enabled and becoming active?

Yes, but I’ve noticed that on this new build, it stays below 20% load. On a previous i9-9900k build, it could jump to 90%. Also, it would seem that some core are less active than others.

Edit:
Here is another example with XLa (changing between family rates). The 13900k can’t do it. I must be doing something wrong.

For me it was better without cuda, but it works with it to.

Congrats on the 13900K. I found sincMX worked better with multi grayed instead of checked.

I recommend everyone to learn and try the application Fancontrol. With it, you can adjust all the fans as you want and make your own for heavy use, for example. Practically anything. I have all the fans that could fit in the case’s fan hub, so that’s why you can see so few fans in use. I will move them to the motherboard as much as possible so that the program can see them individually.

2 Likes

With my 9900K ASRock board and 11900K Gigabyte board - both can do DSD512 + 7ECv2 + gauss-long

I copied what Jussi does - both have same big Noctua NH-D15 fan and I set my fan profile to ‘silent’ for both

I’m in a hot country too

Both running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and HQP Embedded.

Never had a single stutter.

Noctua fans emit same SPL when HQPlayer is running and when not running (barely audible)

2 Likes

I think my GPU (3060) is underutilized by HQP. This may explain why the CPU is struggling. I have tried every possible combination for CPU and CUDA (enabled, disabled, grayed out). It’s utilization never goes above 10-20%. Any idea why, @jussi_laako ?

On my previous i9-9900k build, the Nvidia 3006 (12GB) could go up to 100%. I liked it better because it produced less heat than an i9-13900k.

Right now I’m trying to do DSD512 / ADSD7Ev2 Sinc-Ll.

Edit: I just played Gauss-XLa, it works fine (without rate family conversion), but although CUDA is checked, it is not used.

Display driver version is too old. Please make sure you use latest Studio driver, unless you do gaming in which case you can use latest Game Ready driver.

Best way to check GPU utilization is to run “nvidia-smi -l 5” from terminal.

This was the first thing I did. Are there any other drivers to check than these?

I also tried that but it shows the same values as task manager and Aeorus (gigabyte monitor - around 10% with XLa, which is very surprising, since it’s an extra long filter).

Always download driver directly from Nvidia, never from the card manufacturer. They are always behind.

2 Likes