Sync Issue with Powernode and Uniti Atom

I am afraid I am still having a sync issue despite the update.

I have two zones — a Bluesound Powernode 2i and a Naim Uniti Atom. Both using wired Ethernet connections to a Nucleus+.

They drift out of sync within five minutes of grouping. They are relatively close to each other, so the echo effect means I can’t group them at all.

I have confirmed the Bluesound update, and the Uniti is running current firmware as well.

Could this be a Naim implementation issue? Any other suggestions?

Hi @Dan_Sherrick,

Can you please let me know if you are able to group these two DACs with other zones properly? If you try grouping the Powernode 2i with “System Output” or a non-Atom zone, do those stay in sync? What about the other way around, the Atom zone with a non-bluesound zone, what is the behavior then?

– Noris

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried with my System Output on my laptop.

When the laptop and Bluesound are grouped, they stay in sync nicely. But when only the laptop and Naim Atom are grouped, they quickly drift out of sync.

And, of course, as originally reported, when the Bluesound and the Atom are grouped, they drift wildly out of sync pretty quickly. This happens regardless of whether the laptop is also in the mix. With all three in the mix, the laptop stays in sync with the Bluesound.

So, it does seem like it’s the Naim Atom that’s not keeping up.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Hi @Dan_Sherrick,

Thank you for running those tests. Yes, it does appear to be localized to the Uniti syncing with other zones. I’d like to take a look at the diagnostics from your Nucleus when this issue occurs.

Can I please ask you to group the Uniti with your System Output again and then note the exact local time in your country (e.g. 2:18PM) when you start playback and when they de-sync? Once I have this info I can enable this feature and ask the technical team to take a look at the diagnostics.

– Noris

Starting with the Uniti playing, I grouped with my laptop at 3:31 PM Central Time today (May 1).

Right off the bat, they were badly out of sync.

I paused playback and re-started it. That was about 3:32. They were in sync after that pause-and-resume move, and stayed pretty well in sync for more than 10 minutes.

They jumped out of sync at 3:45. It happened all at once (so “drifting” is probably not a good word to use). One song ended, then there was what seemed like a longer-than-usual silence before the next song started, and when that song started they were badly out of sync. (A simple pause and resume of playback again restored the sync at about 3:47.)

Hope this helps. Thanks.

One more data point. At 3:53 PM Central time, the pattern repeated itself. There was a long period of silence between songs, and when the next song finally started they were very badly out of sync. This time both elements of the pattern were even more pronounced — the extra silence was much longer, and the degree to which they were out of sync was much greater, than the earlier instance.

Hi @Dan_Sherrick,

Thank you for letting me know those timestamps! I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action does is automatically upload a set of logs from your Core to our servers for analysis. I have been keeping an eye out for the aforementioned diagnostics report, but I am not seeing anything reach our servers. Can I please ask you to do two things here?

1. Reboot your Nucleus core in the hopes that it re-establishes communication with our diagnostics servers.

2. Manually send me a copy of the logs from your Nucleus using these instructions (<-clickable link)? The best way to get them over to us would be through a shared Dropbox/Google Drive/Firefox Send link.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @Dan_Sherrick,

I just wanted to reach out again to you here and let you know that the diagnostics report from your Core came in and has been reviewed, so no need to manually send them.

It does look like the Uniti Atom is getting out of sync from your System Output zone. I have been discussing with our hardware team and we’re going to try to schedule some internal testing on our end to see if we can reproduce this behavior.

I’ll be sure to keep you posted on any developments.

– Noris

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.