Syncing between Roon and Tidal

Hi - I’m new to Roon so not sure what I should expect, but; when I add new artists as favourites in Roon, add new albums etc I can’t see these added in Tidal - should this be the case…? It works from Tidal to Roon but not from Roon to Tidal.

Any ideas…?

Regards

Hi Michael. Welcome. I’ve been using Roon with Tidal and Qobuz for about 7 months. It is my understanding that the sync feature is all one way.

If you favorite a song or album Tidal it will show up in Roon. If you unfavorite it in Roon it will still be a favorite in Tidal and won’t change.

If you like a playlist in Tidal it will sync to Roon. If you make changes to it in Roon the changes will only occur in Roon, not back in Tidal.

If you create a Playlist in Roon from Tidal songs it will not appear in Tidal.

Probably not want you wanted to hear, but can’t give you any reasons why this happens/occurs. Just does.
If you search Tidal Sync in the forum you will see lots of incidents.

Hearts mean different things. To add Tidal content (albums) to Roon you heart them in Tidal or Add them to the library in Roon. Either way, in the Tidal app that album will have a heart. In Roon, it will not unless you add a Roon Favorite heart (this heart has nothing to do with Tidal it is only used by Roon). If you then remove the album from Roon’s library, it will remove the heart in Tidal as well.

Artists hearted in Tidal mean nothing to Roon. Roon only adds artists when you have content (aka an album) in your library, then it will add the artist. If you heart the Artist in Roon, like with albums, it is Roon only and means nothing to Tidal.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

This seems like a large gap in Roon’s user experience. If, like a lot of users, I want to use Roon at home and Tidal on the go (car, etc) I want to have access to the artists I discover in Roon (as that’s what I’m mainly using it for). Not sure if any of the Roon UX team monitor this but consider this a customer request - please sync my recently played tracks automatically without the need to ‘add to library’.

Thank you…!

Michael

1 Like

Bumping this. Can’t believe there’s a way to sync Roon to Tidal. I currently have to do things 2 times, one for each app. Then what’s the point of having Tidal in Roon other than playing it through Roon?

Have to admit I keep finding more reasons to drop Roon

Thanks all for bringing this up.

I have the same case here — I use Roon at home, and Tidal on the go: iPhone, CarPlay — and things discovered in Roon should be back to Tidal so I can listen to them outside of home. Shouldn’t be too hard to accomplish this sync.

Otherwise, I would like to have a decent Roon app that works outside of my home — it’s okay for home-local tracks to be unavailable unless downloaded, but I don’t see a reason why listening Tidal on the go shouldn’t be allowed. But I believe that it’s not gonna be easy to accomplish considering the current architecture of Roon.

I believe that for now what I can do is to use a playlist sync service such as tunemymusic.com

Happy listening, All!

#1 - when you add Tidal items to your library, they will be marked as Tidal favourites in Tidal. Synchronisation is bi-directional.

#2 - Roon ARC will play both Tidal and your local tracks outside your home.

Thanks for clarifying, reading these reference materials helps.

I checked and it works: I understand now that albums and tracks added to the library are synced back to Tidal, but not playlists nor artists. At least this what I see after experimenting with Roon & Tidal apps a little bit.

Would be interesting to see if I can use ARC to replace Tidal on the go. I will let you know once I test this.

Thank you.

One caveat if you use offline playback in Tidal app you can’t do that for Tidal albums in Roon/ARC only network playback, no 3rd parties are not allowed to this is a feature of the Tidal app only.