Synology SPK-Package: Development

Oh interesting. So it seems to be a Linux issue then?

Iā€™m runinng RoonServer on Atom D330 with 3GB RAM and Intel 320 Series SSD on Ubuntu14.04 inside docker container and Roon is very usable except the search function which took 5-10 seconds to start showing results.

RoonAppliance is occupying about 620MB or RAM and there is still about 600MB RAM free and 500MB of cache in RAM. Tried to disable swap completely but no change (swap was anyways barely used when enabled).

Library is located on NFS NAS connected via GLAN and storing about 75k mostly flac tracks / 7000 albums.

Roon is connected also to my Tidal HIFI account

Quick question: If I were to install this spk on my Synology and import a Roon database that I copied over to a share on that Synology, can I remove that folder after the installation? Or does this folder become the actual location of the db?

It will copy the database to your installation volume.
Iā€™d still recommend to keep the original at the moment as the spk is still in a testing phaseā€¦ :slight_smile:

I have installed the pck on my Synology 713+ containing 2x500GB SSD and canā€™t notice any lag of significance, but I have a small music library onboard.

Christopher,

Thank you very much for sharing this work. Iā€™m running on a DS415+. So far it all seems to be working fine. Itā€™s now playing through a Raspberry Pi Roon Bridge coming out of the analog output using a headphone it is ill equipped to drive, just to verify itā€™s there. Iā€™ll report back after Iā€™ve done some serious testing through my main system.

Maybe Roon can supply a Synology package in their next releases soon.
Would be an amazing improvement if they are able to do so.

Hi.

I need some help. Im probably being dim and not done something, but I cant get the spk to work.

It installs on my Synology DS412+ fine and says its running,. Am I understanding correctly that this server is then configured from any remote roon installl? If so the problem is I dont see the NAS in the server list. My existing core is (on a laptop) is visible.

You could try by manually adding the ip of your nas in the server connection screen (i believe there is a drilldown allowing you to do it)

Thanks but I tried that to no avail

Could you check in the Synology Package Center if the Status of Roon is ā€œrunningā€?
krjtx had issue as well with errors of the mono framework. As the DS412+ uses the same cpu, this could indicate a general incompatibility to the cpu (Intel Atom D2700).

As 2 users with an Intel Atom CPU have already reported RoonServer is not starting. Was anyone here successful in using the spk with one of the following models:

CPU: D410

• DS710+

CPU: D510

• DS411+
  • DS1010+
  • RS810(RP)+

CPU: D525

• DS411+II (working)
  • DS1511+ (working)
  • RS2211+
  • DS2411+

CPU: D425

• DS712+

CPU: D2700

• DS713+ (working)
  • DS412+ (working)
  • DS1512+
  • DS1812+
  • DS1513+
  • DS1813+ (working)
  • DS2413+ (working)
  • RS814(RP)+
  • RS2414(RP)+

CPU: C2538

• DS415+ (working)
  • DS1515+ (working)
  • DS1815+ (working)
  • DS2415+
  • RS815(RP)+
  • RS2416(RP)+

If this is a general incompatibility with certain cpu-types I will modify the spk to not install on those machines.

So when you feed Roon the IP it searches for a while then says it canā€™t find it? Are you attempting to connect over a wire or wrelessly? If the latter, I suggest going wired first, then worry about getting it to work wirelessly. Also, if Roon does see the server youā€™ll have a conflict since you canā€™t have more than one machine managing your library (unless you have another license).

When I first got Roon Server up and running on my NAS and looked for it on my iPad, I first had to decertify my Roon Core machine, even though it was turned off. When I turned it back on I then had to tell Roon I was now running it as a ā€œremoteā€. If all you have is your Core and your new NAS server install, Iā€™m not sure what the exact scenario would be. You might have to demote your core to a remote before you can see the NAS as a ā€œlibraryā€.

I take it youā€™ve already pointed the Roon server on your NAS to where your music files are. This can be tricky as there is no way to browse for them (yet?) and itā€™s not obvious what the paths are. On mine, the network paths are various subdirectories of \[server name]\media\music. On the NAS this translates to ā€œvolume1/media/musicā€¦ā€. If you donā€™t have any music mapped to the new server you wonā€™t see it as a library in Roon.

It started fine on my DS415+, as I reported above. Please donā€™t blacklist it! And thanks again for sharing all your work.

Thatā€™s why I am asking. I just want to find out if it an incompatibility with Atom in gerenal or if it a specific CPU (like the D2700 used for the DS2413+ and DS412+). :slight_smile:

1815+ is working!

Just for testing purposes i also, next to my ds415+, installed it on my old ds411+II and found it installs and runs there as well.

DS1813+ working.

Thanks. And yes, Iā€™m not an idiot. I intend to have a backup copy of the database :wink:

Working fine! :slight_smile: