Synology SPK-Package: Development

Still can’t get Roon to detect my iTunes library while running on the NAS. Anyone has an idea what’s up?

713+ works fine.

1812+ working fine too.

So long as the cpu’s in question are 64bit Intel RoonServer should run on them.

Dear All,

I am using a 1813+.

1. I created a Roon_Database folder on my Synology, say, onto /volume1/ConvoFS
  2. I copy from original Win10 Roon Server PC two directories RoonServer & RAATServer directly into the Roon_Database directory. Is it correct?
    2-1) Or should I just copy the 6 directories under RoonServer into Roon_Database directory?
    2-2) RAATServer also has 2 directories within, named “Settings” and “Temp”, which overlaps with names of 2 directories under RoonServer, so I am quite confused.
  3. After installaing the SPK, specifying /volume1/ConvoFS for temp database, RoonServer seems to be running on the Synology. However, My Roon Remote on another PC, keeps on saying “LOOKING FOR REMOTE LIBRARIES”.

Where did I do wrong? I have more than 7000 albums, can that be a problem here?
Thanks,

Hi evand,
that is also the info about the cpu that i had in mind. As 2-3 people had issues with the server on synology (both with D2700 cpu) I am just trying to gain more information. At least I know now, that it had nothing to do with the cpu as it runs on a DS713+ (thank you Paul_Kwan for that info)
:wink:

@Peter_Hsieh

You need to tell your Roon Remote about the new library. You can go into settings on the PC running Roon ( remote), choose the General TAB and in the top left corner you will see an option to disconnect from current Roon Library and then you can choose a different RoonServer. I don’t have Roon in front of me to tell you the exact name of the option in the General Settings section but it is in top left corner.

Works on DS713+! Tried the Github repo first but the package manager mentioned the generated spk package was unsupported. Switched to the one from the download link mentioned earlier and that one works just fine.

The github repo should work again on the ds713+ from now on. It is my “work in progress repo” and I took the cedarview architecture out of the installer script a few days ago. It is back in there again.

If I were to manually start stop the service from the command line (using ssh), which commands should I run?

Try:
sudo /var/packages/RoonServer/scripts/start-stop-status start

I reported the same problem on my 713+ DSM 6.0. I got a RoonSpeaker.spk sent over from another member and then it worked flawlessly!

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you to @crieke for the contribution you’ve made to the Roon community. Your efforts have helped many Roon users. It’s wonderful to have a community where users assist one another in the way that you have.

Is it an idea to start an install script for each of the Synology systems (eg on GitHub). So if you run the script, it checks the dependencies and installs them if needed, including the Roon Server packages. This way it is possible for others to install Roon Server on their system with running just 1 script.

This is actually how the spk file works:
For Synology devices you’ll need a spk-package to be able to install it easily with the “Package Center”. A requirement is that this spk file includes an archive with the files that should be installed. So I decided to just put an empty dummy file in there, which will be deleted at the end of the install process. The actual RoonServer files will be downloaded from the roonlabs website during the installation. A spk file contains multiple files: A .tgz archive, PreInstall, PostInstall, PreUpgrade, PostUpgrade, PreUninstall, PostInstall scripts and files for additional info windows during install/uninstall process. It also contains one info file which will give your Diskstation the information on what kind of cpu the package can be installed. This file also includes all the information required by Synology’s “Package Center”.
You could of course just write everything in one bash script, but that would require an ssh access to the disk station and this is probably not very convenient for everybody.

Thank you Christopher!

I migrated from a NUC i5 Windows 10 to Synology 1815+ DSM today and all is well. I ran into a couple issues coordinating the change of authorization, but worked through it.

1 Like

Help unable to upload the package to my Synology
I package centre I have tried to upload file package.tgz but told Invalid File format
Any help will be gratefully accepted
Thanks Neale

You should be using “RoonServer.spk” when performing manual install in the Synology Package Center.

Did you follow this step to create the RoonServer.spk?

Howto use

This is the content of the .spk package to install RoonServer on your Synology DiskStation. To create the .spk file, download it and enter the SPK folder by terminal. The .spk file is basically a .tar.gz file.

You can create it by executing the following command: tar -cvf RoonServer.spk *

Ok confused here.

I have a 1513+, 4GB ram and version 6 of the synology software. The package installed OK and is running.

However using remotes, an iPad and macbook pro, I cannot connect to the core on the synology. It appears on the "Choose your library screen in Roon, saying version 1.2 (build 123 stable) and fluctuates between an amber connecting light and a red failed connecting light all the time, with the occasional message of “last seen x seconds ago.”

Prior to coping my existing library, RoonServer & RAAT folders to a shared location on the volume1 of the NAS and entered that location in the path box in the expectation that my existing library would be picked up.

Anyone any ideas ? I can’t find any log files to see what is causing the failure to connect. Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times, each with the same result.