Synology SPK-Package: Development

Tried again with my existing database properly copied over to a share an the nas and its now got its knickers in right twist.

“Arthurstone” is the name of my linux box that has the original once working core on it. 192.168.1.1 is the ip address of the synology, I’m trying to create the new core on.

If anyone has issues at the moment with RoonServer not showing up at your Roon clients, please check if “VPN Server” is also installed. If OpenVPN is enabled, please disable it and check if RoonServer runs afterwards.

Christopher
The only things running n the nas according to package manager are roon server, hyper backup, hyper backup vault, java7,storage analyser and text editor. So no VPN server of any kind as far as I know. Thanks Paul

Have you tried to install without database Import?
Can you click on the log button of roonserver in the Synology Package Center?

Ok sorted out the nonsense with names and wrong IP addresses, by uninstalling and reinstalling without trying to import my existing library. It appears that the core has been installed in volume1/@appstore/RoonServer/Roonserver, as that is where the scripts are. Running check.sh returns fails for alsa libraries and ulimit -n 8192. So despite the nas responding that it did install ok, perhaps it didn’t? Running the start script returns several more errors. Ulimit cannot be modified and the appliance/ mono/server folders cannot be moved to .previous… As permission is denied.
So perhaps this is Roon issue rather than anything else?

The alsa error is normal it will be fixed in the final Synology package and it won’t stop roonserver from starting. Did you use sudo when executing the start.sh script in the package location? RoonServer needs root privileges.

In the time it took me to do the above, I left Roon running on the MacBook and it magically connected without the database copy. It’s now asked for my username and password, accepted that and asked me to add a folder. I didn’t, just pressed next and got an empty Roon library, with the offer to upgrade to build 128, which I accepted and now wish I didn’t, as the nas version of core has disappeared.

Package manager says that RoonServer status is stopped and it will not restart. The logs say the update succeeded and that the instance is licensed. RAAT server has found all my end points. The last entry is a whole series of “watchdog port got goer-ping” lines.

Christopher
No I didn’t use sudo doh. Now after the update it’s no longer where it was in the @appstore/Roon… folder.

What happens if you type “cd /var/packages/RoonServer/target”? Are any files there?

I just created a spk file with my latest github files. One thing I still would like to implement is a “Confirm to delete the database” if no export path is entered. But I have not figured it out completely.

But with this spk it will check the import path (if RoonServer and RAATServer folders are present), and it will also check the export path (during installing process) if the specified directory exists (if it does not exist, it won’t proceed with the uninstall like before).

Christopher

I first must thank you for your time and help, especially as I think that this may be a Roon issue.

I have a RoonServer and Roon_Database folder in the location you suggest. The Roon_Database is owned by Roon, but the RoonServer is owned by “1000”. In the Roon_Database folder I have another RoonServer folder along with RAATServer. Too many RoonServer folders?

I’ve downloaded the new package and will give that a go now.

You should see the following contend at “/var/packages/RoonServer/target”

RoonServer folder (the files from Roonlabs untouched)
Roon_Database folder (It contains RoonServer and RAATServer folders with your settings and Meta information to your library).

As Roon is running as root there should be no issue regarding the folder permissions.

That is exactly what I do see.
However as I specified a folder on volume1 for the location of the database and copied by existing database in there, I am now back to the messed up IP addresses and computer names again with the same old unable to connect.
Trying again with a database location on volume 1, but no existing database files.

@crieke - after the initial success yesterday of getting RoonServer running on my Synology 2413+, today I re-installed but this time importing my database.

Once installed and I had connected from the client I saw that all my local files had gone from the database and just the Tidal tracks remained. One thing to note I had already upgraded the RoonServer to Build 128 on the PC before moving the database to the Synology, but when I looked at the ‘about’ it stated that the RoonServer installed on the Synology was still Build 123.

Hoping you can help again.

@krjtx - it would be easier to troubleshoot if you could detail what steps you followed. For example, after you imported you database and launched RoonServer on your NAS, did you set the proper path to you music files within Roon storage settings? If not this would indicate why your are only seeing Tidal tracks. Did you have any playlists, do you see them?

Have you checked in the About section of Roon to determine if there is an update available for RoonServer that you have running on your NAS?

If your music files were hosted on the Synology device before, you probably need to adjust your “Storage Settings” in Roon.
When RoonServer (running on a different device before) needed a network path, it requires a local storage now.
Other users reported that you can simply add a local folder in the RoonSettings and remove the corresponding network entry after scanning is finished.
Please make sure to enter the path correctly as it differs from local paths on Windows/OSX. It will look like this

/volumeX /share/folder-to-add

where
volumeX : is the volume your share is hosted on. you can find out the volume number (X) in the settings for your shares in the diskstation manager.
share: is the name of the shared folder
folder-to-add: the folder you would like to add in that share

The RoonServer package for linux on the roonlabs website is still build 123 and can be updated within Roon. I did not experience any issues with that.

I didn’t explain myself very well in the previous email. I moved the RoonServer files from Windows PC to a Synology NAS, I was expecting to see all my local tracks in the library, but, with the local tracks being unavailable until I ran the scan when entering the new local path in Settings, then it would match the files again. I am reasonably certain the database files copied OK because the ‘History’ view does show local tracks with them marked as ‘unavailable’.

My main concerns being that I was hoping not to lose my ‘play counts’ or the work I have done on identifying albums correctly. I have started the rescan and albums are imported as ‘new’. Is this the behavior others have seen when moving to Synology Linux from Windows.

Maybe this topic might help (it is about moving from OS X to Windows but the process should be the same):

I decided on a fresh approach to my errant nas. Rather than keep fiddling, I decided just to ignore it for 24 hours. Guess what, the remotes decided they could find it and connect to it after all. Happily playing music from it right now.

What changed? Nothing, just left it sulking in the corner and went to the pub.

Perhaps it got something to do with the nas going to sleep and Roon not waking it, who knows.

So Christopher thanks again for your help and the package works on a 1513+, at least for now.

Just like to say thanks Chris for this thread. Using your SPK package, I was able to install Roon on my Synology DS415+ and copy across successfully all my database settings. First Class!

My NAS now runs Roon, output to HQPlayer, which does all heavy lifting of up sampling, DSD etc… Before feeding my DAC.
Still using spinning discs on my NAS, and Roon still feels pretty responsive from Roon iOS on my iPad. Oh and and absolute plus; music sounds even better having Roon and HQPlayer on separate hardware devices…

Once again many thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Chris, that was the answer. I needed to remove the “old” paths from “storage” before I re-added them as “local” paths on the Synology. Its now busy loading all my local files and keeping the play counts etc.

Your help has invaluable over the last couple of weeks and really appreciated.