TEAC NT-505 Roon Ready?

It is dead stable and works without any issues. And because it’s streaming module is Lumin based, and in the Esoteric streamer too I think support shouldn’t be a massive problem going forward. Ultimately if it stops working with Roon it will still be an excellent DAC and work with DNLA.

Greetings,
I have owned the TEAC NT-505 for about a month now. I bought it specifically to use as a RAAT enabled Roon endpoint.

It was an expensive purchase (for me), but integrates seamlessly with the Roon core, and sounds really great, so I anticipate years of enjoyment out of the device.

Note that I had to make two updates to the unit to enable Roon integration: First, a firmware update via USB stick to the streamer itself, and second a software update via the TEAC ‘HR Streamer’ iPhone app. It was after the second update that “TEAC NT-505” appeared in the Controller app.

This is my first post to the Roon community, so hope that helps! :smiley:

S.

5 Likes

Works great fo me…nice piece of gear.

Hi guys, reviving this because I’m considering buying this streamer. I am a bit confused about the specs.

It says it only does 192 kHz /DSD128 over LAN. Is this the case if using my computer as a Roon core and connecting both the PC and the NT505 to my router?

I also read it’s not good over USB, why is that?

For the samples rates: Yes for using the network connection, for Roon or its native app.

@Dexter_prog you have piqued my interest in this device as well as it can be found for around £1,000 in som online shops in the UK.
Looks like the perfect dac/headphone amp, even though I have bought 3 this year. The. LAN feature is exactly what I am looking for.
Has anyone got any recent experience with one and is it as good as it sounds

Thanks

Mike

The streamer and DAC is better and refined than the very good Topping D70 - with similar dual AKM 4497 chipsets - that I had before. The Tidal MQA conversion over the streamer is very, very good.

The headphone amp - although decent - is the weakest point: it also has an unusual 3.5 mm balanced jack connection in the front. My SPL Phonitor 2 is better headphone amp.

I have upgraded my TEAC NT-505 with the accompanying 10 Mhz central clock: this gives a small improvement in the details.

The streamer connection via ethernet is in general slightly better than the connection with USB to the NUC. According to the specs, the latter connection provides higher upsampling to DSD512, but the streamer connection is capable to DSD 128 and 384Khz upsampling internally the TEAC.

Hint: make your full system balanced with XLR connections to the main-amp and/or to your headphone, because this TEAC NT-505 is internally fully balanced.

My TEAC had the new firmware, and it is fully ROON Ready (over ethernet and USB) from the box.

All in all, for around £1,000 it will be very hard (if not impossible) to find a better streamer - DAC combination.

@Johannes_van_Leent thank you very much for the detailed response. Ideally I want something with network connectivity and this ticks that box nicely.

Does it not have a quarter inch headphone socket as well. I cannot see it on any specification page.
Sorely the tempted by this even though I have bought everything I needed this year :roll_eyes:for two rooms already

Regards

Mike

My version of the TEAC only has 3.5 mm mini-jack in the front panel. But this connection is fully balanced with ground separation between left and right. Better than common ground but less than fully balanced 4 pin XLR. It will be hard to buy a cable from 3.5 mm four connection male, to 4.4 mm four connection female (or to 4 pin XLR headphone)

@Johannes_van_Leent thanks for that additional information. I would only use it as a headphone amp with my Hifiman Sundara’s so that might be a bit of a concern. I assume it should work unbalanced as well.

Maybe the current setup with multiple Pi’s and Amps with high quality cables and power supplies as they work great, but I really like the idea of something like this and it already sounds great.
I am amazed that there are not more of these on the market.

Mike

I have 2 NT 505, just got Teac CG-10 very happy. You should get CG 10, you can connect all your 505 to CG 10.

Of course the 3.5 mm balanced female jack does operate as an usual 3.5 mm unbalanced female jack by connecting both ground connectors. But in this (near?) hi-end region, balanced connection for headphones is the norm; it provides a significant improvement of the soundstage that is comparably inexpensive. Hifiman provides replacement cables, including balanced 4 pin 3.5 mm see: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/headphones.html
I would be amazed that amazon does not deliver these kind of cables for Sundara for half the price.

There are similar streamer/dac/upsample combinations by other companies available for well above € 2000,- to € 3000,-

Thanks @Johannes_van_Leent I will take a look at these cables. I was already looking at a 4.4mm balanced for my IFI DAC, now you have me seriously thinking about this :wink:

Mike

Hi Joahannes I remember looking at these before, Hifiman only offer balanced to 2.5mm and not the 3.5mm on the Sundara’s. I have also seen quite a lot of negative feedback on many of the 4.4mm balanced to dual 3.5mm used on the Sundaras as well, which is what has put me off from purchasing an expensive cable the many feel is worse than the unbalanced. Difficult decisions but more research required I think

Regards
Mike

The NT-505 should come with a plug in adaptor to allow a larger headphone plug.

I’ve been running one since just after they released the Roon Ready update. Cards on the table, I bought it because I wanted to downsize. What surprised me was that it improved on my previous multi-box setup. I use it balanced direct into Hypex NCore power amplification. I also have the CG-10M, I was able to get both for less than the retail of the NT-505 alone.
It integrates beautifully with Roon and talks back so if I invoke DSD 512 upsampling in the DAC it shows on the signal path. That is relevant with regards to the streamed sampling rate ceiling because you can just ask the DAC to take up the slack. In my case I send everything to it native and it upsamples. It is also perfectly happy letting you do MQA processing and DSP on your core and simply rendering the result so it is very versatile (thanks to the streaming modules Lumin DNA). This DAC streamer is something of a hidden gem when used in conjunction with Roon.

Thanks Henry I read some of your original posts from early in the thread, they were very helpful.
I am tempted by this in the near future when some spare money passes through my hands

Regards

Mike

FYI: this is the wiring of the 3,5 mm mini jack. Bear in mind that “ears” for a mobile also have the same connectors available, but these use on connection for the microphone; only R- in this figure is “ground/neutral”.

Fully balanced has the advantage that the left and right will not interfere with each other in case all other components are correctly implemented. This provides a better definition of the sound stage.

With fully balance, several users of the Sennheiser HD-800 complain that the soundstage will be to wide (the soundstage can be fully stretched arms on both sides); these users prefer a more compact/coherent soundstage (halfway elbow on both sides).

Anyway rely on your own ears and preferences within your budget. And most important, don’t forget to enjoy the music.

My main focus has always been the music! :wink:
The headphone issue is mute for me as I have a AAA789 headphone amp. The maximum out of the NT-505 is 500ma and my phones like 2 amps at 42 ohms. I noticed the adaptor with the handbook while trying to find a receipt the other day. I’ll double check this evening.

Thanks Johannes I have found a provider that look to do both 4.4mm and 3.5mm balanced for the HIFIMAN Sundaras and contacted them this morning. If confirmed I will order 4.4mm to test my current amp and then think about getting both this amp and a 3.5mm balanced cable.

Thanks for all your help

Regards

Mike

Henry thanks for that I appreciate it.
Regards

Mike