The beer drinkers meet and greet

A beer-fining agent that is suitable for vegetarians is Irish moss, a type of red algae containing the polymer chemical carrageenan.[8] However, carrageenan-based products (used in both the boiling process and after fermentation) primarily reduce hazes caused by proteins, but isinglass is used at the end of the brewing process, after fermentation, to remove yeast. Since the two fining agents act differently (on different haze-forming particles), they are not interchangeable, and some beers use both.

1 Like

Very nice, I’ll be paying them a visit on my next trip over from Adelaide to Melbourne.

We had Arkells Brewery in Swindon and the Brewey itself was in the suburb/village where I grew up in Stratton St. Margaret. I’ll never forget the smell when they were making their brews.

I hated the stuff itself, never got the taste for Real Ales but the lagers they served on tap in the UK were also dreadful. I ended up drinking lots of Belgian Beers at home.

You have to love the craft beer scene for bringing much better tasting brews to the pubs now.

1 Like

Having a nice triple ipa tonight!

4 Likes

5 Likes

I’m about 70km North of Melbourne, so if you’re doing public transport, the v-line out of Southern Cross Station is about an hour and then it’s a 3min walk to the pub. If you’re driving, I recommend overnighting in their hotel so you can take full advantage of the taps.

As you’re in Adelaide, might I recommend you drop into my wife’s family brewery? It’s a little place in Regency Park that you may have heard of: https://coopers.com.au/ :rofl:

1 Like

Really!!!

When I emigrated here in 2002 I rarely drank anything other than Coopers Sparkling or Pale Ale. I’m glad they are branching out more, I guess they have to, to survive.

Oh yeah!!!

1 Like

Yep. She’s 6th gen A-side of the family and a shareholder.

Yeah. The current c-suite there are a bit set in their ways, but Mrs Tel’s cousin is Export and On Premises Manager and is in-line to join the exec in the next few years. We’re fairly close with Andrew - he stayed with us for a bit when we lived in Singapore and he came up to finish his MBA and do a stint in industry so he could take back valuable real world experience to the family business on his return (family do not get an automatic role in the business - it is a stipulation that you go out for a decade plus and learn something useful before joining the brewery). He’s been back in Oz a few years now and was instrumental starting and continuing to push the product diversification. He’s a smart lad; the business is in good hands.

1 Like

Seeing as we are titling this a meet and greet…and drinking alone is a fairly dangerous passtime - and a bit boring even with great sound and music…

Anyone into the Frothy stuff in Singapore please ping (PM) me and maybe we can catch up at a brew house befitting of the topic - Craft beers ideally. One Roonie I already share beers with every friday availability permitting - OH that’s tomorrow :beers:

They are derived from Fish , its the swim bladder which is a floatation sac within the fish that fills and empties with water and assists the buoyancy of the fish.

It is 100% pure protein - collagen

Depending upon your definition of vegetarian ,probably no.

BUT , the whole process of fining is the agglomeration of collage protein with oppositely charged yeast cells so properly fined beers contains NO carried over collagen (it wouldn’t be doing it’s job otherwise), so I guess it counts as vegetarian.

Its all down to processing aids (those that DON’T persist to the final product) and processing additives (those that are physically ADDED to a product) . Food products are rife with additives , MSG etc but beer normally has zero additives even if processing aids are used in the process.

The only likely additive in beer in Sulphur Dioxide but that is rare these days , even so it would be i part per million.

@ged_hickman1

I assume you copied that from somewhere ? It is actually wrong according to the normal brewing practice.

Carrageenan is used only in the boiling process , it is a negatively charged particle that reacts with the positive proteins during the boiling process and assists in the removal of proteins during wort cooling .

I not used those proteins would potentially cause hazes even in filtered beers later.

Not all brewers use carrageenan. I amnt aware of anyone using carrageenan in finished beer , the pH of its action is all wrong . It works at pH 5.3 - 5.5 not in beer pH’s at 3.8 - 4.0 typically.

Is filtered clear beer even a thing anymore? :smiley:

1 Like

not here anyway in reference to the filtered clear varieties

1 Like

Where doesa browser search first, w_k_p_d_a!

Yes , definitely . Craft Beers tend not to be filtered because the of high cost of the filtration unit , there are even journeyman filtration units for hire around the place for micro breweries

I would hazard a guess that most US big brand beers are filtered , in SA for example SAB filters 2,700,000,000 litres a year. AB etc will beat that . easily as will many US brewers

Other than UK and other traditional draught beers all major brewers filter

Triple IPA? That’ll put hair on your tongue.

I only drink my ‘Double Dog’ on special occasions.

1 Like

Since this is a meet and greet. Anyone in the Balt/Wash area up for a beer night?
PM me and we can arrange!

@Mike_O_Neill.

Thanks for this. The main reason I asked is that in the past I have tried a few of those home brew wine kits. They contain a sachet of Fining A & Fining B, which are both added after fermentation. It mentioned that Fining B contained crustaceans, so if you are vegetarian just use Fining A.

True. Anyone London area ditto on meet and drink.

(Not Ontario)

1 Like

Not sure what crustaceans they would be. Wine finings are very different than beer finings as the pH is that much lower. Proteins are very pH sensitive.

BTW I note Cheshire , where ? I was born in Hyde , many years ago :grin:

Haha, I might have a triple once a month here. Every night is a special occasion :joy: