The beer drinkers meet and greet

I must have missed decent beer in England where I lived…lol.
We had three largish breweries.
Kimberly (I lived 5 miles from this brewery).
Mansfield (about 14 miles away)
Shipstones ( 12 miles)

Our local pubs were a mix of Kimberly and Shipstones.

Kimberly was the better IMHO but nothing to write home about.
But Shipstones?
Blurgh…we used to joke that they used to just pump direct out of the Erewash and serve that up as the Mild.

Craft brewery or “real ales”?

We had no clue just being country bumpkins who knew no better that going to the local and getting quite merry on a £1 a night.

Well, yes, in college, I would get by on 64 oz pitchers of Bud for $2.

I was born in Bredbury just down the road, many years ago

You missed Home Brewery :joy:, smallish breweries BTW , big is Bass Burton

A £ a night must have been a while back …

A night out at the Trip to Jerusalem was always a treat . I lived in Burton for 10 years, often visited Nottingham area.

1 Like

Not when you’re over six foot. :face_with_head_bandage:

Halton Village. About 30ish miles from Hyde, in the direction of Liverpool.
We had a big Bass Charrington brewery not far from here which ceased production in the mid eighties. Almost everyone I knew that worked there ended up being permanently half-cut! :beers:

Hmm, this means either 1) being an alcoholic or 2) on the dole?

In my part of the world it refers to someone who is never sober :woozy_face:

1 Like

I used to take my free issue in Peroni, we brewed it under license . SAB owned the the brewery :joy:

It’s tough being a brewer all that free beer

1 Like

Now that used to be a fantastic pint. I’d regularly drink Special, and when in season, Winter Warmer (by the half in the 1980s.) It’s no longer brewed in the Ram Brewery, Wandsworth, and it’s a rare find here in the Midlands.

The last pint I had was on Lamb’s Conduit Street, but alas, like many London pubs these days, don’t seem to know how to look after beer.

1 Like

Preston Brook was still brewing when I left the UK in 1996 , sadly like most breweries it was dry.

It was common practice to allow 2 pints a day and to have “wet canteens” , the Health and Safety act put paid to that.

In SAB random breathalyser on entry/exit was mandatory, it was an instant dismissal offence , no debate, The tasters had a “get out of jail free card”

In my youth (1970s), in the UK, it was not uncommon to request a pint that was a mix of draft and bottled beer. A popular choice was a ‘light and bitter’ which a half pint of draft bitter ale and a bottle of light ale. Typically, the landlord would pull a half into a pint glass and give you the bottle of ale to add. To us teenagers, we would seek out the pubs where landlords would pull significantly more than a half pint into the pint glass, thereby getting more than a pint for your money.

One of our favourite mixes was known locally as a ‘brain damage’ comprising a half of Greene King Abbot ale and a half of bottled St Edmunds ale, both very strong beers. The drink lived up to its nickname!

2 Likes

Mid 70’s…so yes…a while back😎

I do remember being outraged when it went up to 21p a pint and I couldn’t get my five pints for a pound anymore :relaxed:

1 Like

Snakebite as it was sweeter when you are 15.

2 Likes

I became a degenerate spendthrift and started slurping Black Velvet.
Cider and Mackeson cos I couldn’t stand Guinness!

1 Like

Black n tan. Yum.
Banks’ mild on draught. Doesn’t travel but a real treat when I’m on home turf.

1 Like

I think the brewing site was finally closed in 1991 and the site was completely demolished by 1993.
Part of the site now houses a Diageo bottling plant.

1 Like

The view from a ‘micro pub’ opposite, a few weeks ago

Micro pub means converted shop that sells odd beers to predominantly old men

We enjoyed it
Burp

3 Likes

Lidl beer, outside hotel, Sisteron France
32c
Lovely

3 Likes