The Evolution Of My Listening Room

Grills off for me, nice!

1 Like

What are those stands…looks like a couple of coat hangers and very far from solid or secure if you ask me - my ns1000m’s would flatten those in a heartbeat :blush:

1 Like

I would agree. The stands speakers are on are very important to give the best out of the speakers.You don’t have to spend much to get a decent set either of you look at the pro studio end of the market.

1 Like

They look fine to me too.

1 Like

I just made these for free. Not perfect, but close enough. Scraps of wood I found in my BIL’s shop at my MIL’s house.

I just did a little shimming of the top plate to get them totally level, side to side.

3 Likes

If that’s off cuts wait until the real ting turns up :smiling_imp:

1 Like

8 Likes

Lovely corner. Enjoy.

1 Like

Looking good Jim

1 Like

Playing with distances and ratios a little. Trying 1/5 room dimension for distance of speakers and listener from front and back wall. 5:8 ratio of speaker from side wall and back wall. And, of course, still a 7 foot equilateral triangle with speakers and listener. They still sound great.

Hopefully, this is the final positioning…

Waiting for “Abbey Road” …

5 Likes

My work here is done. Well, except for a couple bass traps I am building and will finish tomorrow.

So now, I guess I’m obligated to listen to my 216 track Beatles playlist again.

7 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

Not sure I really need these or they will actually do anything, but my attempt at building some bass traps. I’m going to wrap the mineral wool in black cloth and leave the wood frames exposed.

Glued and screwed

Panels cut down from 48 inches to 40.5 inches

Each slab is two inches thick, so I am using two slabs per. I will wrap each slab in black cloth. They fit snug so I think they will not fall out the front. I’ll need to play around with it a little to see what works best.

I only have natural stain, so that is what I am using on the wood, along with some polyurethane spray. I’m trying to keep my listening room to a minimum expense.

I used Roxul Mineral Wool boards. I don’t know if that is what I should have used or not but it was certainly easy to work with. I used my wife’s electric kitchen knife to cut down from 48 inches to 40 1/2 inches. Width is 24 inches. I wanted it short enough to fit under my “Jay Dees” poster.

5 Likes

Wow. Black and the wood exposed I think are going to look super. As I imagine them in your room. Very curious on your impressions about the sound after mounting them.

1 Like

That garage floor is unnaturally clean! :grin:

I just took a look at their site. Which product did you get?

1 Like

Finished product. We shall now see if they make any difference in SQ pro or con.

Fabric is held in place by the snug fit of the panels. Front panel was easy. I laid the frame face down and stretched fabric across it, then pressed the panel in from the rear. The rear panel was much more difficult because the snug fit tended to loosen rather than tighten the fabric as I pushed the panel in from the rear. If I ever need to redo the fabric, I’ll cut down the length and width of the rear panel a tad so it just drops in and lays in place. Then, I’ll devise something to hold it there.

So far, I think the bass is much more crisp and well worth the effort.

EDIT: This sounds so freaking good, I may never leave this room. Everything seems so crisp and clear. :guitar: :drum: :musical_keyboard: :notes:

Going to Home Depot tomorrow to get some corner protectors for the top rear corners so they don’t scratch the wall. They are just sitting there, not attached to anything.

EDIT: Did some leveling and installed corner protectors.

11 Likes

Nice job Jim.

1 Like

Back at the MIL’s for two weeks. In the basement this time. I miss my speakers.

2 Likes

Speaking of minimalistic:
My Setup in our small guestroom. For the one who wants to listen himself to sleep.

Raspi 4 plus Hifiberry Dac Pro with my Sennheiser HD 430 from the Stone age

3 Likes

Back home after two weeks at my 100 year old MIL’s. I really missed listening to my new 50 year old Pioneer speakers. Did a little more leveling of the bass traps and settled in for two weeks at home before back to the MIL’s.

8 Likes