The "I didn't know that one" PIANO TRIO mega-thread

Here’s a few recommendations from me. Maybe you’ve heard them all, maybe something new for someone, but they’re some of my favourites:

5 Likes

The list is getting long and I may have missed an entry, but I don’t see that anyone has added Lynne Arriale’s trio with Jay Anderson and Steve Davis (the drummer not the trombonist). This is my favourite of their 7 releases. Arriale has more trio releases with other bassists/drummers.

RoonShareImage-638051354941129740

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure we didn’t have anything by Joachim Kuhn, time to fix that

3 Likes

• Bass – [Jesper Bodilsen]
  • Piano – [Carsten Dahl]
  • Drums – [Ed Thigpen]
3 Likes

A little holiday music in the piano trio format, available on Tidal and Qobuz:

4 Likes

Laszlo Gardony, newly released piano trio
RoonShareImage-638067508792447200

4 Likes

Available on Qobuz (24/88.2 with full hyper-linked credits as well as a pdf) and Tidal:

6 Likes

Listened to this yesterday Dan. A good listen indeed.
Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

New album by a trio led by drummer Steve Davis, who is not new to this thread. Sadly Roon thinks this is by trombone player Steve Davis and I don’t know how to edit that. But until someone more savvy is able to correct that, we can still enjoy this album :slight_smile:
I wasn’t able to find the credits online so I don’t know who the piano and bass players are. If anyone knows please share
RoonShareImage-638069173827227790

4 Likes

From Bandcamp:
“This is a mix of modern jazz with a nod toward the classics with Ben Coan playing bass and Nick Schlueter on piano. It is my desire that this music touches you.”

2 Likes

Another recent find, and an utterly superb recording. Should sound amazing on a decent system.

4 Likes

Jessica Williams was a greatly under-rated pianist who nonetheless managed to put together a great number of albums (Lord lists 131 sessions as leader) though many were solo albums and too many were on obscure labels. She did have several trios she regularly recorded with; my favourite is the trio with John Wiitala and Kenny Wollesen as on And Then, There’s This

RoonShareImage-638071411747463308

Williams and Wiitala also have a number of trio albums with other drummers.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, we have only part of a piano trio album with Dick Twardzik who sadly od’d in a Paris hotel room at 24 while on tour with, yes, Chet Baker. Fortunately we have at least this much because it is really good.

RoonShareImage-638071453041654931

And, also fortunately, the rest of the album is really good, too. Russ Freeman (not the Rippington guitarist) was Baker’s usual pianist at this time but he didn’t want to make the European tour so he recommended Twardzik. This is one of only a handful of dates where Freeman was leader though he played on many, many west coast dates as a sideman (Lord lists 204).

1 Like

Thanks for posting these! Jessica Williams is great, she used to play with Stan Getz among many others. I just learned that she passed away in March, here’s her obituary Pianist Jessica Williams has died | WBGO

Sadly, Williams’ final years were not kind to her, both physically and fiscally. Most of her final recordings were solo and released on her own Red + Blue label, though there were 8 releases on Origin (one a trio session), including her final album in 2014…

1 Like

I’ve never heard about Dick Twardzick… I couldn’t find the album you posted on Tidal but I found this one, sounds interesting
RoonShareImage-638071757293044940

1 Like

Absolutely stunned this one hasn’t been posted. STUNNED.

I have listened to this at least 200 times. I always hear new things I love or fall in love with all over again. Expertly engineered and the playing is as good as it will ever get.

Enjoy it for the rest of your life! Start today!!

RoonShareImage-638072537142993180

PS - this is an awesome thread that I’ll keep coming back to read. Thank you.

8 Likes

I messed up and posted this message in the wrong thread but please have a look Marcus Roberts

And here’s a new one from Chihiro Yamanaka. A nice up tempo outing with some great work by the drummer and bass player, who are not given credit on this “identified” album. Currently only available on Tidal but I suspect that it will be available before too long.

7 Likes

While the usual release day for albums is Friday, this seems to have been released on Wednesday the 21st.

https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/products/9415042--today-is-another-day

It is also available for download at 7 Digital but adding the link to there includes a big ad for 7 Digital in my response; you can also find it at iTunes. I didn’t see it at arkiv or amazon.

The personnel are (courtesy Presto)

Chihiro Yamanaka (rhodes)
Yoshi Waki (electric bass)
LaFrae Olivia Sci (drums)

Presto gives the recording date as 31 August 2022 at Eastside Sound Studio, New York City

2 Likes

Strong from start to finish

3 Likes