The pros and cons of Onzow Zerodust and record cleaning in general

What do you use that Brasso on?

I’ve seen some recommend it too :sweat_smile: Why try all these hacks when you can, for little money buy something which is intended for vinyl lovers.

I mentioned both Blutac and Magic Eraser right at the start with a reference to being barbaric but people will be people :grin:

2 Likes

To polish his knob?
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Not on my vinyl! It’s the best CD restorer / cleaner I’ve found.

1 Like

Ahh ok. Was confused for a second :rofl:

Here’s my cleaning “paraphernalia”.

3 Likes

I use the fluid, natural fibre brush, microfibre cloths, and a Karcher WV 1.

I had to Google this :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Well, that had you fooled. :laughing:

But the Brasso is for real.

1 Like

But at least it’s sort of on topic :joy:

1 Like

True. We’re discussing… cleaning.

1 Like

It did. For some reason I thought it was going to be one of these massive pressure washers :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve never owned or used a record cleaning machine. Are they worth the money? This is a serious question. I have on occasion cleaned with mild soap and water a very dirty used LP but don’t, as a rule, clean most LPs.

I concocted my own US cleaning rig following information I found in the Audiogon forums.
IMHO it is a very worthwhile endeavor and does successfully reduce a considerable amount of surface noise from older dirty and well used records.
And as I am the proverbial treasure hunter in them thar bargain bins is pretty essential :innocent:
And sometimes even brand new pressings as well.

2 Likes

I had a disco anti stat before an ultrasonic one. The anti stat performed very well to be honest for the reasonable price.

Thanks! I will look into getting a record cleaning machine.

Tbh, the whole record cleaning machine and regime is another huge rabbit hole that just gets deeper and wider the more you explore.
And if course as it’s Audiophool related everyone has an opinion :grin:
Tread carefully…lol.

At the risk of starting another sh*t storm.

I have this -

I think this is probably better -

Is it worth it? Why not?

There’s currently a controversy (ironically similar to the ZeroDust kerfuffle) as to whether machines who advertised cavitation, the VPI doesn’t, truly cavitate.

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll will have to put off buying one of these until at least Wednesday since the Mega Millions lottery is on Tuesday night. Of course then I would get a record cleaning machine and hire a full time record washer assistant. :rofl:

5 Likes