The Room Treatment Polava / Fixation?

I recently acquired a set of speakers that are exceptionally accurate and direct. I’ll be moving in a few months, so for the time being have skipped any room treatment, opting instead for room correction via REW.

While there are several ways to go about it, last weekend I followed the guide for creating convolution files via the “inversion” method available in the preview version of REW: Creating convolution files for Roon in the new Room EQ Wizard (REW) with Inversion

The process is based on first measuring a sweep up the frequency spectrum from 0 Hz to 24,000 kHz. What I found most astonishing was the variation I heard with my own ears as what should be an equal-level tone passed through all the various room-induced peaks and dips on its way up the sweep. Some movement of the speakers (and adjustment of the speakers’ own onboard DSP room integration settings) helped a few things, but it was crystal clear that the room was adding an enormous amount of “color” to the sound.

Not having tried it yet, I can’t say from experience, but I feel confident that physical room treatment would address at least some of what was going on in my in-room response. And given the magnitude of the perceived (and measured) room issues, I’m sure it would make a very noticeable improvement. I’ll definitely be measuring and physically treating my new listening room in a few months.

1 Like