The Selecter... anyone into Ska?

I see Cock Sparrer in the foreground. GREAT album. Nice guys too.

1 Like

Yeah - love Cock Sparrer and all related…

Went to see the Mighty Mighty Bosstones yesterday - were great !!! :v::blush:

1 Like

Great band! Always good to find a like minded punk and ska fan who also cares about the audio gear!

1 Like

I‘m actually into a lot of punk - but more Oi! related… ska & punk are very closely related 4 me though & both share the same subculture… i probably prefer the 2nd and 3rd ska wave as punks influence is stronger… love to dig into the early roots too though… :v::blush:

1 Like

I am an Oi! fan as well. Sham 69, Cockney Rejects, The Blood, Blitz, lots of classic bands. I also love The Toy Dolls but can’t figure out how they’re lumped with Oi!

They can sound pretty good on decent gear too!

2 Likes

Tons of good Streetpunk out there - the classics but also many new bands have come up…

Talking new stuff & Ska/Reggae - the new “The Aggrolites” Album is fantastic…

1 Like

love Aggrolites.

1 Like

Been digging really deep into the Trojan Catalog lately… great stuff!

2 Likes

All 0f them​:wink::joy:… I like the „This is Trojan Roots“ a lot but not only the compilations - also some great full artist albums…

Anyone listen to any newer Ska stuff? Been getting into it a lot lately. This is my current favorite:

RoonShareImage-637632531893101693

1 Like

I will have to check them out.

Needle drop on Qobuz

1 Like

The Trombone Man - good early ska - I haven’t found any of the newer stuff to come close to the late 60s-early 70s and the early 80s revival.

I used to hang with the Mods in Sacramento in the early 80s and see the ska bands that played the circuit, along with the punks, good times.

Well it’s great that the spirit of SKA continues but (and it may be an age thing) what I’m hearing is here is a Weezer “Buddy Holly” moment.

Having said that at the time (1980) Madness were my SKA of choice in Dublin and they wouldn’t be considered seminal.

So whatever (SKA that ) gets you through the night :smiley:

.sjb

@Sloop_John_B John, are you referring to ‘We Are the Union’, Prince Buster or Rico?

I think you mean ‘We Are the Union’ but replied to me. It is not my idea of ska either.

Meanwhile this 2021 remaster/remix is well done.

3 Likes

There is a box set CD called staring at the rude boys by cherry red records, fab buy.
Careful if you go on cherry red though as if you like punk and post punk you may spend a fortune. Some of the older sets are cheaper on iTunes but make sure they are the full set as they are sometimes less.

I have also been listening to the skints recently.

3 Likes

The 3CD set is out of stock but the 2CD set is on Qobuz. Dangerous site. Found the 3 disc on Amazon.

How’s the sound quality in general?

I have always found them very good, bare in mind it’s a NAD m10 and tannoy dual concentrics that I’m listening to it on.

RoonShareImage-637633601891418051

Another great one from this year