The The Search Crash

After every update (Thanks) I always wonder why can’t this search issue be fixed?
Is it a Roon Remote (Windows 11) or Innuos Server issue?
I think, small problem for sure but why is it unfixable?

I read all kinds of reports about „the the“ being slow to search, yielding no results, or causing a „can‘t connect to Roon“ message, but can’t recall or find a forum thread about it causing a crash. Did you report it in Support or do you know of an existing post/thread about this issue?

1 Like

I have just finished looking at this problem as well.
I having finally gotten to the bottom of it and have a working solution for the first time in months where searching for The The not only connects to search but returns results in less that 15 seconds (most other searches return in under 5 seconds).

Because I was unhappy with the visibility of what search was doing I wiped ROCK from my NUC and put DietPi (X64 version) onto it.

Searches for The The were taking 100% CPU on 6 of the 8 cores and stopping music playing and skipping tracks. It was very frustrating and annoying.

I then found an old thread talking about fanless cases on NUCS causing performance issues so I told the NUC BIOS that the NUC had a high performing fan and to ignore it. After tweaking the settings on DietPi and BIOS I now have a fast searching Roon.

The bad news for anyone with a quite low powered CPU is that I do not think this can be fixed without changes to the Roon search algorithm as search seems to take over all of Roon and unless you have enough CPU power to manage it then it stops basic functions running. Hopefully this will be addressed in future updates to Roon.

4 Likes

Interesting. I have just a 10i5 NUC, so not the fastest, and never an issue with that (15 seconds for „the the“ was the worst it ever got). However, it will depend on other properties of the library and mine is probably not the most complex.

In any case, you surely are onto something. As Innuos products are generally considered underpowered and are therefore not supported by Roon as Roon Servers, it’s very possible that a demanding search like this brings them to their knees

Very interesting, and another hint many of the performance issues actually have to do with CPU power (or lack thereof).

Just made a test, and ´The The´ search is letting all my 4 cores peak around 80% for 10 seconds but the stream keeps playing without loosing contact to a zone or anything.

My old Rock based Roon core almost always failed to connect to Roon search when searching for The The and timed out, then eventually delivered the local searches. I am now thinking that this could be related to the BIOS settings that I found in a previous thread.

I think as @Suedkiez has said it is very much based around the library but there is a CPU performance element that I was not convinced existed from previous posts, and I am now fully on
board with that.
I think there was a serious performance issue with DietPi on the first install the the 10th gen i5 as the cores were all staying at a low performance value. The BIOS reset and the performance tweaks I made after that are currently working great. I may be using more power than I need but the Akasa case keeps the machine nice and cool and as soon as I search or anything else it is running the best it has since I bought it.

Well I forgot to say that I was upsampling to DSD128 which I am sure had an impact, so I will add that now. When I turned off the upsampling I got a warning about slowly loading track but it kept playing.

I can concur with @Michael_Harris I see exact same behaviour for Roon search on this query it pushes very high cpu use across all cores. I too have moved away from ROCK for more visibility and to cut down on machines. No other search query so far shows this high cpu usage, all search’s though do seem to be multithreaded and uses all cores to some degree, this one uses all you have without much leeway for other activities. I think this needs looking at. No playback issues here with or without upsampling when I do search.

1 Like

But this issues also affected Nucleus users and other up to spec devices so does question the motives behind this approach to multithreading as it seems a little unchecked. Search should not bring a machine to its knees really on any hardware.

2 Likes

Yes I see this as something that needs to be looked at by the Roon development team and better understood.
I have to say I am really liking DietPi after spending the last 4 years on Rock, which I found really good until Roon 2.0 was released. (some of this might be related to my BIOS settings as mentioned above so I may well be culpable for that, though it was never an issue before Sept 2023)

But it is good to have some options for installing some additional packages and web visibility on performance etc. As long as I get multi channel audio out of the HDMI when I put it back into the media cabinet then I see myself sticking with this for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Crashes my server software, not hardware every time. Sonic Transporter.

Talking about it here in Roon Software Discussion will have little effect, is my point

1 Like

It didn’t have much affect in the support thread before where all this was reported by other users seeing same behaviour. All these symptoms were flagged in the search thread that grew and grew.

I haven’t seen a single one IIRC speaking about crashes, and I searched when this new thread here was opened and that didn’t turn anything up, either - like I wrote.

It may not have fixed it completely when opening a thread about “the the” in Support, but (1) undeniably there were improvements, which were also commented on in the older thread(s), and (2) even if chances for a full fix may be slim in Support, they are practically zero here in Roon Software Discussion.

Whatever, I don’t care as I don’t have any significant issues with “the the” nor would I have ever searched for them in my life if not for analytical interest after the behavior with this search was brought up. It was just a suggestion for those who seem to care.

Dear Matt Johnson

Please can you change your band’s name from ‘The The’ to something more searchable. The The forks up Roon’s search function for many of us who like your music and is causing us distress.

Maybe try ‘The Them’ which oddly found your current bands name quicker and without an error :rofl:

Yours sincerely

The The Appreciation Group

2 Likes

Is it a crash or just Roon server running out of power and timing out when connecting to the Roon web search component.
I wonder if the Roon server was under power enough that it could turn into a crash.

I have personally never seen a Roon client crash, just many a timeout while searching. Not only for The The, but a number of other bands mainly with The in the band name and I have many hundreds of bands with the in the title, so not sure if that makes it worse or not.

I don’t know, I’m going by what the OP wrote in the title „the the search crash“.

Yes I agree, but it is unclear whether there is an actual crash, or a failure to complete the requested process

BTW you are missing out if you never listened to The The as they are a great Indie band with some excellent albums and individual songs. I would have lost interest in this topic long ago if I wasn’t a fan and was mostly unable to search for them
It felt like a form of censorship :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah they are not entirely out of my ballpark, but Roon users have ruined them for me :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

Sorry man :face_with_peeking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, it should in the support section but I thought I’d bring it to the attention of a few ingenious souls to see if it could be crowd fixed so-to-speak.
Yes, the said search ends up with the circling wheel of slowness looking for the Roon server (Innuos) & proceeds to freeze completely. I then close the Windows remote, restart and all is fine unless a the the search is required.