Mac mini (Late 2012)
2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
macOS 10.15.7
16GB DDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Mac mini connected to NetGear switch via ethernet
External SSD connected for Backups
Synology NAS has music library. This is connected via ethernet through the switch.

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

51,357 files
Qobuz
Tidal

Description of Issue

Followed the macOS / Windows / Linux RoonServer instructions here 8 times in a row. One for each back up I had. Screenshots of what I experienced included.

Is there a way to revert to an older Server build?

I have the same exact issue. I have a i5 transporter with the latest version of Roon. A few months back my database got corrupted. It coincided with a Roon update. Restoring a previous database did not work. I had to rebuild Roon and then use a previous update. On Tuesday another Roon update was available and after installing this update I received the same error reported in this thread. I then rebuilt Roon and tried restoring a few previous backups. All died in the the conversion to the new database. I’ve been a lifetime member for at least 5 years and have my own collection integrated in with Tidal. I now do not have access to Roon and that’s upsetting because I really gotten use to the ease of a large digital collection playable in many zones throughout my house. Roon we need your help. We are without our music and that is a big issue for music lovers. I love Roon and can’t be without for days. Please respond back to us ASAP with a solution.

After messing about, I am so highly annoyed right now.

I am starting from scratch and the library load time is brutal.

What is the best way forward? Name the server a different name and hope for a fix where i can load my old backup?

@Pyrexia I am pretty sure this is a problem with converting our databases to the new format. I rebuilt the server and it’s ok until I try restoring the music. Something about our database is killing the conversion program. We both have Tidal integration so maybe something with how they are storing references to Tidal. Just guessing. I can’t think of anything we can do on our own.

I wish we just had the option to revert to an old build, if this truly is due to an update for the server app.

Roon is basically useless right now for me.

@support help?

I am 99% certain this is a bug with Build 898. 884 was fine

My last successful back up was on 12:01 a.m. on 1/30 with Build 884.

It looks like they pushed Build 898 around 2 p.m. on 1/31. This is based on the forum post.

So I have no back up on 2/2, which would indicate to me that it is an issue with 898.

I can’t really use Roon until this is fixed. I really don’t want to lose months and months of listening data. I also don’t want to read 50k+ songs of local songs. Hopefully I don’t have to wait a month for the new build.

Again, any help appreciated from support.

Screen shots of backups and builds.

Please bear in mind it is now the weekend so you may not get a response until the start of the new week.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

1 Like

Totally understand. I’m just adding more info to help.

And some desperate pleas for Monday. :wink:

1 Like

Hey @Pyrexia,

We’re so sorry to hear about the behavior you’ve been experiencing… :sweat: . We just got back to work this morning and we’d really like to help out.

Would you be able to:

• restart your Roon Core
  • reproduce the behavior (restore a backup so you can get to the “there was an issue loading your database” error) and please, write down the local date and time when the error showed up
  • grab a set of logs, zip up the entire folder and upload it to our drive

After that, would you please let us know the timestamp? Our team would love to take a closer look and see what might cause this :nerd_face:

Thanks, Beka!

I gave it a go and the same results occurred.

Uploaded the logs. The failure happened around 4:32 PM (CST) on Feb 7, 2022.

1 Like

Hey @Pyrexia,

Thanks so much! We got the logs and they are now with our technical team.

I’ll follow up as soon as I hear back :nerd_face:

Appreciate the time stamp :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thanks so much. Fwiw - I can load Tidal and Qobuz, but my local files seem to be the ones crashing.

@Pyrexia - I rebuilt my database by scanning my digital music collection and logging into Tidal pulled in my selected Tidal music. I still would like to restore my database to get favorites, bookmarks, playlists, etc. Have you heard anything from roon support.

I have not heard anything yet and haven’t bothered with Roon since the issue started. Just playing locally off my computer at my desk or via apps to my streamer for now.

Hey @beka!

I’m a total selfish monster, but any word from the devs on a fix or what to do?

I have a new Roon ready streamer coming tomorrow and Friday tends to be the day I have more time when I wfh to listen.

No rush, but just curious.

Hey @Pyrexia,

While it made me chuckle, selfish monster is not at all what I’d call you. It’s been a few days and it’s a gentle and polite nudge to find out what’s going on. Thanks, actually :relaxed:

Yes, the team has had a chance to take a look at the logs. I didn’t reach back out because the results so far have been inconclusive: some lines point to corruption, but it’s not clear. We’d like to further investigate.

I know this doesn’t quite align with your plans for the end of the week. Promise we’re doing all we can :crossed_fingers:

Haha. Got it and thanks!

I work in a similar industry and I know this can be funky stuff to deal with. And also a thankless job sometimes. So I appreciate it!

I don’t mind having to rebuild the library if necessary. A weekend investment for it to reanalyze 50k tracks.

But would there be any way to save all of the behavioral data? I’d hate to lose that history or insight. One reason I love Roon!

Hey @Pyrexia,

Thank you for being this understanding :relaxed: . It’s appreciated more than you know.

I wish the behavioral data (play history, preferences & favorites, playlists, tags, Roon settings and so on) was separated from the library metadata. Unfortunately, they are all part of the same database, which, once corrupted cannot be restored. It is very likely that starting from scratch is the way to move forward… :pleading_face:

There is one thing that is worth trying before confirming the above. Could you please:

• quit Roon
  • delete the Database/Core/<guid>/genres_v2.fse file
  • restart the Roon Core
  • launch Roon & try to restore the database

Thank you :pray: