Thinking of Roon Lifetime ? Read this

My free triial’s end is approaching soon ! Unfortunately I like it a lot since I have a good size of DSP / Hight Res music library. No sure if I should go for the Lifetime options. Thanks.

In that case, I would do monthly for a couple of months. If still unsure, do annual. $700 is a lot of money if you’re not sure.

If I was to do it again I would go yearly, roon has to many bugs for for a a software that cost me $900 Canadian.

3 Likes

@Gary_Foux You’ll be happy you did it once it pays for itself.

Really nothing else out there than does what Roon does. There have always been bugs after the large releases. These too shall pass.

5 Likes

When I say bugs, what I really mean is the iPhone crash bug. Its been here since day one for me. The rest I can live with.

The crashing of my iPhone makes the roon experience bitter, and not worth it for me.

I seldom use roon now because of this, I just use my Lumin app to stream music.

1 Like

I don’t use the iphone as a Roon controller. Mostly the ipad.

+1 on the Lumin gear. I use a non-Roon RAAT Aurender A10 for certain listening sessions. The more the merrier. Options are good.

That iPhone crash is a strange one. I know a lot of people see that but I never do. What could the difference be??

Thank you for all the advise. Just wonder if I can purchase Lumin app for PC or need to buy the hardware as well.

Jim if you have a big library the Roon app is a memory hog. I never use it on my iphone X anymore, but I have almost no issues on my Oneplus phones that have oodles of memory and I keep it locked in memory.

My 1st gen iPad pro 11” is constantly restarting Roon and that should be my favorite device to nude it on. But if the screen shuts off or I leave it for say a minute then it restarts the app as it has been swapped out of memory.
So I understand the frustration of others in that regard.

I have no music files of my own. I use Tidal and Qobuz. That could explain a lot of things, I suppose.

1 Like

You need Lumin gear to use the Lumin app AFAIK. It will catalog your files, but you can’t access them.

Jim it’s a strange one as Roon say there is no difference between local and Tidal/Qobuz files, but I assume many have larger libraries as Tidal I seem to remember has a 10k track limit (could well be wrong) where as people talk about 300k+ local libraries. Mine is about 38k local and about 4k on Tidal.

Given these issues I am still a huge fan of Roon and knew within about 3 or 4 day’s of starting my trial that I was forking out for lifetime membership, though I think it was $499 then (memory is a funny old thing).

When I signed up for Roon a year and half ago, there was no monthly plan and lifetime was $499, so I signed up for annual. A month later, Roon raised the price of lifetime from $499 to $699. I was able to convert to lifetime at $499, and I purchased a Roon Nucleus for $1119. At todays prices, it would be a more difficult decision, I think.

1 Like

Yes I agree at $699 I would have deliberated at least until the end of my trial.
But I might well have gone annual instead of lifetime

I think I am going to singed up for Roon Lifetime after the Free Trail ends… I know it is pretty steep $ to start with but it will definitely pays off itself in the long run. Thanks again everyone.

4 Likes

I wonder this as well. I have a new iPhone 12 and an older iPad and both works well. I had a 6s and it worked well. My wife has an iPhone 8 and it works well. The only thing I’ve seen on occasion is that I need to close the Roon app and relaunch it. But I’ve seen this happen with other apps as well so I attribute it to quirks of iOS or my wifi rather than with Roon.

Of course, I’d be pretty annoyed if it were a constant problem and so understand the frustration. Surely someone at Roon ought to be able to help diagnose it.

1 Like

I have 2450 albums ripped to Nas which is about 29k tracks but that is supplemented by about 3000 L.P.’s ,300 cassette’s and 25 r2r.
I went with the lifetime about a week into trial and bought a nucleus+ back in March 2018 when it was cheaper.

The sooner you get lifetime the sooner you break even on annual.

2 Likes

My Teac NT-505 works great with Lumin app.

3 Likes

I’ve been mulling lifetime for quite a while, even prior to the (ludicrous) price increase.

But I’m glad I stayed with monthly/annual. The more I delve into ROON the more inadequacies I come across, especially in regards to metadata handling and box sets. The saving grace for ROON as it stands now is its ability to find and stream to every audio device endpoint I have in the house. Also ROON ROCK is incredibly useful and convenient.

I figure in the 5-6 years it would take a ROON lifetime to redeem itself there will be another music library/streamer that comes along and offers similar features for less cost.

1 Like

The increase is far from ludicrous, it’s designed to deter you as going forward Roon need a continuous income stream and also it keeps them on their toes otherwise people may stop subscribing. That’s what I call a Win/Win situation.
Hiring a Live Trio for my 60th Birthday cost more than a Roon lifetime, so I still consider it very very good value… as was the Trio…

3 Likes