Tidal discontinuing albums? Has anyone else noticed this?

OK I used a poor choice of bands as an example, I think. I just learned through Tidal that the dB’s made 4 records after they disbanded back in 1989. They are all horrible experiments, and I wasn’t aware that they existed. Only took me ten minutes to figure that out (the horrible part). Tidal still has the last release that counts.

I used two Canadian servers and yes, the dB’s most popular record is on Tidal there, so, two out of the 4 most relevant records by that artist are there.

VPNs come in handy in so many ways. But still I can’t get that album through Roon.

I’m going to hunt for another few band examples to see if there’s a trend there… but face it, Tidal just does this. Their algorithms decide what stays and what goes. Such is life. I’ll add Qobuz and I’ll be happy. I have way too much stuff to listen to anyway

Did you try adding from Tidal app then resyncing with Tidal within Roon? I suspect it won’t add via a VPN from another country, but I could be wrong

Why didn’t I think of that? Thanks, I’ll try it!

Strange, because I can see 7 albums by “The dB’s” in Tidal via Roon. The albums are:

Repercussion
Falling off the Sky
Stands for Decibels
The Sound of Music
Like this
The dB’s & Friends
Christmas time again

Which ones are you missing?

I can also see one album in Qobuz only - "What becomes of the broken hearted (Hurricane Katrina relief).

I suspect this happens on all services. If there are albums one cannot live without, they need to be purchased. This is why some users join Studio Sublime (Sublime Plus) to purchase music with discounts.

1 Like

Some of these frustrations and workarounds are also discussed in this thread, if you haven’t already encountered it:

One thing I’ve done recently is to create a bookmark on Roon, of my Tidal-based Roon favourites. This acts as a purchasing list (albeit a long and expensive one!). When I buy one of these albums, from Roon I un-favourite the Tidal version (but keep it in my Library for remote access). I then favourite the local copy, which ensures that the purchasing list keeps current. Not sure if this approach might be of help to anyone else. Of course, it doesn’t identify ‘vanished’ favourites, for the reasons documented.

Hey Thanks hmack. The first five are all that matter to me, all I can get is Like This. Hm… you’re right, this is strange. I found Stands for Decibels using a Canadian server (Tidal, not Roon) and I just tried it (no VPN) and got, Like This. Are you in the US?

Not sure about Tidal as I use Qobuz but…
Very often if I search for something through Roon/Qobuz I come up with zilch.
If I then exit Roon, go direct to Qobuz app on my phone or iPad I can usually see it even though I could not going through Roon.
If I add it direct from Qobuz there is a 50/50 chance Roon will have it in my library when I revisit Roon.
When it does not show usually it is just a case of going to the Qobuz section inside Roon where I will see it and manually force the add to library.

You have a lot of knowledge how other people relate to music or listen to music. But I hear you, I am missing the times when to listen to one track I had to buy a CD and it did cost me $30. By the time the price went down to $15 I stopped listening to music, now I am just hearing it. You know, as most of the sweeping generalizations, this is just a bunch of …

1 Like

Hi James,

I’m in the UK - where are you based? I guess there could be regional differences.

There are a few other bands with similar names. I found that I had to search using the exact name: “The dB’s” to find the correct band and albums.

I’m in the US. Regional differences might very well be it. I have gotten a variety of results using a few little VPN tricks.

Is a great album.

See the same quite regularly - I am fast approaching the point of cancelling Tidal, but difficult to just have Qobuz as an option as there are too many gaps.
Might just accept it and buy to fill the Qobuz gaps.
Tidal is good for MQA but I don’t hear any sound benefits to MQA vs Qobus Hi-Res tracks (in fact Redbook on Qobuz sounds as good to my ears).

It’s really nice to hear that someone besides me remembers the dB’s. I’d thrown that one out just as an example really, and so many guys have jumped in, it would seem, just to help me find my missing titles. This is a really nice forum.

1 Like

Stuff disappears from streaming all the time - either from yes, changes to the databases like mentioned before… sometimes is a matter of rights - example I always use is that how all Camel (the prog band) albums post “I Can See Your House From Here” suddenly disappeared from ALL streaming services. Probably a license issue.

The advice to go to the service, search again and re-add the albums is a good one. With luck it’s only changes to the database and/or files on the service. If issue is that the license for the music to the service expired, then, truly sorry you won’t experience the music you like anymore…

All of this is a reminder… Notice how I avoided using the word “Library” - if you rely on streaming exclusively for your music… you don’t have a “Library”… it’s just a collection of links…

v

In fact, the word Library is exactly what should be used if you are streaming (only). Just as with books, you are going to ‘get’ the album of your choice and bring it back once your done with it.
A local ‘Collection’ is the albums you have at your home.

Roon trying very hard to make these album ‘loans’ part of your Collection, is an applaudable effort, making it very comfortable for us users. In the hard facts, it remains a Library, where there is no guarantee if and how long an album ( a book) will be available.

Dirk

Oh sure - guess your point view depends on your attitude towards streaming - to defend my point I would say the KEY words here are YOU/YOURS/YOUR - I meant “YOUR Library” - you don’t have one, you only have a collection of links - you mean “THE Library” - then you are 100% correct, Qobuz or Tidal, they have one.

Like mention, guess it depends on your attitude towards streaming. If you think is the best thing next to getting tickled by a feather, then what you say is 100% right; it is a good model to think of it as a loan, and if you can live with that, with the lack of control over access and availability that implies, then enjoy the tickling! :smiley:

For me, while I use it, I treat it as I used to treat radio. I only use it to find out about new music (sometimes), and to listen when “MY” Library is not available. If streaming disappeared from the face of the earth, I would be happy for the artists.

All in the eye of the beholder

v

All of these streaming services eventually discontinue albums. Not a reason to drop them. More reason to buy and own the albums.

Use Tidal for research then buy the physical media (rip it) or purchase the download and add them to your Roon core. Tidal albums or Quobuz albums are not your albums. If that is all you have, then you have nothing.

As far as your vinyl, buy a phono preamp with a USB port and rip your vinyl to you PC.

Hello James,
What you are experiencing and describe is (IMO) a negative side effect of the “rental economy”, which slowly but surely moving into the mainstream.

In the “rental economy” we no longer need to own (i.e purchase) the objects we want to benefit from. Instead we subscribe to a service which makes those objects available to us under certain terms and conditions. And these terms and conditions usually state the service providers have sole control over their catalogue. The posts in this thread postulate a multitude of reasons and motivations for catalogue owners to withdraw certain titles or versions at their own discretion.

In the end the only way to guarantee access to your favorite music when you want, is to buy the CD and rip it into your Roon server (or other music server). Ownership is king.

Tidal & Qobus & co are great services which facilitate music discovery beyond our wildest dreams. But while we are busy discovering and are enjoying what seems like an endless supply, we get accustomed having practically any title at our fingertips and we forget we are just visitors in that enormous music library.

It is only, when for whatever reason (title revoked or no internet access), the endless supply does not deliver what we expect, that we land back with our 2 feet in reality: we have no final control.

So, to answer your last question:
My suggestion to you is: Use streaming services as music discovery sources where you can explore and listen to your heart’s content and once you find that gem, buy the music you really love.

Enjoy the music.

1 Like