“TIDAL media is loading slowly. This may indicate a networking or connectivity problem”

@eric - Correct, that is the error I’ve been seeing. Looking back at the logs I had issue on 5/4 and 5/16. Both days I stopped playing Tidal tracks as the errors were happening too frequently.

In case it helps knowing the dates/times are the “Track stopped” messages from my server logs that correspond to the error. I’ve also saved the log files for those days in case they would be of interest.
RoonServer_log.01.txt:05/16 02:36:12 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.01.txt:05/16 02:47:17 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.01.txt:05/16 02:48:05 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.01.txt:05/16 22:29:27 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.01.txt:05/16 22:30:03 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.01.txt:05/16 22:30:37 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.01.txt:05/16 22:36:03 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.01.txt:05/16 22:38:26 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.01.txt:05/16 22:38:48 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 12:48:25 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 12:48:44 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 12:59:27 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 12:59:52 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 13:00:58 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 13:34:20 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 13:34:50 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 13:35:26 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 13:35:52 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 13:36:11 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 13:56:37 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 14:15:58 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media
RoonServer_log.09.txt:05/04 14:17:20 Warn: Track Stopped Due to Slow Media

Thank you for touching base with me @TheSturt and providing the requested update. Both are very appreciated!

I have split your post off to it’s own thread so I can address this behavior with you directly :microscope: Moving forward, may I kindly ask you for the following information:

• Please provide a brief but accurate description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

• Please describe your network configuration/topology being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding as to how your devices are communicating and all the tools involved with making those connection possible.

• Does rebooting your core machine and networking hardware ever yield a change in behavior with TIDAL playback?

• Do notice any patterns in behavior/usage when the error occurs?

• My assumption that the answer to this question will be “yes”, but please confirm that there are no issues with TIDAL playback outside of Roon.

-Eric

Thanks for keeping on this issue for me. Here’s the info you requested:

brief but accurate description of your current setup:
Roon Core = NUC6i5SYK 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM / 500GB M.2 SATA drive - Running ROCK Version 1.0 (build 158)
Roon Bridges
- DietPi V6.8 RaspberryPI - USB to iFi Micro iUSB3.0 to AURALiC Vega

• Garage = DietPi V6.8 RaspberryPI with internal HiFiBerry DAC+
  • Living Room = DietPi V6.8 RaspberryPI with internal SupTronics X4000 DAC
    Roon Endpoint
  • MusicRoom = PS Audio DirectStream w/Bridge II
    Roon Remotes = LG V30, Mac Mini, Microsoft Surface

Please describe your network configuration/topology:

Xfinity Internet = 175 Mbps down / 6 Mbps up (It’s been very stable)
Cable modem = Netgear CM1000 (locked in 28/4 channels)
Router / Firewall / WiFi Basement = Apple Airport Extreme (ME918LL/A)
Main Switch for whole house = D-Link 24-port Gigabit DGS-1024A (using Cat6 Cables)
Upstairs WiFi = Apple Airport Extreme (ME918LL/A)
Cable modem is connected into the Apple Extreme acting as my firewall, that is uplinked into the 24-port D-Link switch. The Roon Core i5 server is located next to the switch and is directly connected, 2 of the DietPI’s are also directly connected into that switch, the DietPi in the garage is WiFi connected. I use Roon’s RAAT for all the streaming.

Does rebooting your core machine and networking hardware ever yield a change in behavior with TIDAL playback?

No, the only thing that seems to help for the short term is if I logout and back into Tidal via the Roon setup menus.

Do notice any patterns in behavior/usage when the error occurs?

I haven’t noticed any patterns, at least that I can see. I can go for weeks without an issue, but when it does happen it seems to cause me major issues. MQA streaming seems to cause the problem to be worse when it does have the issue, but it happens on the Hi-Res music as well when I have a bad Tidal day.

Any issues with TIDAL playback outside of Roon?

No, I just tested this tonight as today is a bad Tidal day for me, I can play the exact same song without issues using the Tidal desktop software for my Mac Mini, but get the loading slowly error within Roon.

Please let me know if I missed anything you you need clarification on any of the info.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi @TheSturt ---- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions. Both are appreciated.

You mentioned the following in your most recent post:

“I can go for weeks without an issue, but when it does happen it seems to cause me major issues.”

Being as you are experiencing the behavior with ROON + TIDAL intermittently we must try to identify the variable(s) that are having influence on this behavior when it does occur. Mark, when you do receive the mentioned warning message do you notice it happening with ALL of the mentioned audio zones in your Roon setup OR do you find that this is occurring when you are using a specific zone?

-Eric

I would say I listen to Roon + Tidal in my office (RPI - AURALIC Vega) 90% of the time so when I have the issue I notice it there first. Yesterday I did confirm that it also was a problem with my DirectStream DAC as well. I have not tested my other 2 endpoints when having the problem but will make sure to test all zones next time it comes up.

Thank you for insight @TheSturt, appreciated!

When the issue occurs next if you could please confirm how the other zones respond it would be a good data point for us to have. Thanks again!

-Eric

I’m checking back in to let you know I have not had an issue since 5/16, a full month. The only thing that has changed was a couple weeks back I did a factory reset on my Netgear CM1000 due to other streaming issues (strangely enough, no problems with Tidal with that). I wanted to let you know it seems my issue has either been resolved with doing a factory reset on my cable modem or I wasn’t having a Roon problem and it could just have been an intermitent network issue all along since Tidal worked when I tried it but only after I had the issue in Roon.

Anyway, I’m very happy to report that I’ve had 30 days without an issue.

1 Like