Tidal MQA stuttering

@john
At the same time if I play Tidal MQA with Roon with stuttering I can play Tidal MQA with Tidal desktop app without stuttering. And at the same time Tidal MQA with Audirvana Plus has stuttering, too.
In my case it only happens if I use a mobile internet or a 2.4 GHz WiFi, but it never happens if I use a 5.2 GHz WiFi. I use Windows 10 Surface Book.

If I run Roon core on my Windows PC the experience is horrible with Tidal MQA. Non-Stop shuddering and sometime 10-15 second gaps with nothing (20-26x processing speed). The PC has a Intel I7 with 16 gigs of ram and a 250 gig SSD running Windows 10. If I run the core on my 2014 MacBook Pro with a Intel I5 and 8 gigs of ram with a 120 flash drive Roon runs nearly flawless (18-25x processing speed). I have 500/500 Fios internet and run them both hardwire. Iā€™d prefer to run this on my PC because I built it for entertainment, but thereā€™s something seriously wrong with the Roon Windows app.

I could not get acceptable results running Roon on a Dell XPS15 i7, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD connected by ethernet. I bought a Roon Nucleus and it runs perfectly.

Do you have a link?

A link to what?

I would start a new thread as support may miss an addition to a two year old one.
In order for Roonā€™s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating

I am a new Roon and Tidal user, just signing up yesterday to Tidal.

I saw your conversation and thought I would relay my recent experience. I had exactly the same problems discussed in this thread.

Playing any MQA file from the stream, the music sounded fantastic for about a minute, then it began to stutter. It felt to me like a cache was filling up.

Verizon FIOS->Unifi switches->Mac mini (2020) for the Core-> three endpoints (two 2010 mini Mac) and one 2020 MacPro. All computers WIRED.

My first experience with Tidal was stuttering BOTH in the Roon app and the Tidal app (on Mac mini). I did not believe it was a network problem as I have a fast system (FIOS gigabit service from Verizon and a great Unifi network in the house - all computers wired).

I found, in the Tidal app, a window for sound output. In this window I set ā€œuse exclusive modeā€ to ON, ā€œforce volumeā€ to ON and ā€œpass through MQAā€ to OFF. The stuttering from the Tidal app stopped but was still present in Roon.

In Roon, I had grouped my three play areas together. When I ungrouped the endpoints and played each one separately, the Roon stuttering went away.

I have been playing for about the last 4 hours with NO problems. Perhaps, what I did had no effect and things would have gotten better with time. I donā€™t know but that is what I did. Maybe it might help someone.

1 Like