Tidal playback skips, local file playback ok

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC i7 32Gbyte RAM 1Tbyte SSD Windows 10

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquiti edgerouter X, ASUS RT-AC-68U

Connected Audio Devices

Problem on all output nodes
Local playback is USB to Peachtree DAC-it to NAD amp
Main playback: Raspberry Pi (hardwired network) to Schitt Bifrost to Schiit Ragnorak
Gym: Raspberry Pi (Wifi) to Soundstream Dac to Marantz receiver
Garage: iPad to bluetooth speaker

Number of Tracks in Library

about 5000 tracks

Description of Issue

No problems for about 2 years, few weeks ago started getting skips on tidal file playback. Condition seems to continually worsen since then. Local track playback ok. Contacted Tidal support, they said contact Roon. Problem is on all output nodes, even 16 bit 44kHz source files. No significant system changes by me recently. Have checked Internet speeds, about 60Mbps up and down. Ran malwarebytes, no problems.

Hi Gary,

What do you mean by « skip » ? I think I have the same issue. Each track « skips » like a scratch on a CD. I do not notice any « lag » on the timebar of the song. It’s getting worse everyday. Is it what you describe as « skips » ?

Thank you !

1 Like

I’m trying to deal with a similar problem in some other threads. I’m not sure if it all started when Tidal changed their tiers as I now can’t get normal quality from them. Or it might have started with the terrible 1.8 pre-christmas update.

I know this might be an insulting question but have you tried changing the Tidal quality settings? At the moment I get 2 seconds of screeching if I set the Tidal quality to normal. Something has to be up with Tidal or Roon or the pair of them.

You will also get a people telling you it’s normally a network problem but I’ve been in depth into mine and can’t find a reason.

Hey @Gary_Maulding,

We’re so sorry you’ve been experiencing this behavior — I can’t imagine a world in which this is what you’d want when listening to music.

Has the behavior changed since you initially posted, for the good or for the bad?

I’ve changed Tidal from master to hifi… skip still happens, but only in Roon. Does not happen using the Tidal app. Tried the DNS server change proposed solution also, but this has not improved the problem So, I have completely stopped using Roon for the last 2 days. I hope they find a solution or I w’ont have any other choice but to cancel my subscription. I really like Roon and would hate to let it go.

The skipping when playing Tidal through Roon continues. I have tried a few things to investigate the problem. 1) Playing the same tracks on the same machine with the Tidal app plays clean. The network traffic on my router is about 100X lower with the Tidal app. about 50kbps versus 5Mbps average. 2) the problem is less severe if Roon/Tidal are the only active processes on my computer, but my computer is heavily used for other activities normally. If the problem was 100% resolved i might consider adding a dedicated music server machine. Also the skipping problem only appeared in the last month or so. 3) I have noticed, by using Windows task manager, that both network activity and CPU usage has spikes when the skips occur. my CPU usage will spike from about 6-8% up to 40-60% durin g the music glitches. Network activity will go from about 5Mbps to as much as 200Mbps. I am in the process of transfering Roon core to my i5 laptop to see if the problem occurs there, this is not a permanent fix possibility foir me, just an experiment.

There is something going on with the Tidal deployment. I’m having similar issues on a NUC running ROCK. I have to try on another machine but don’t hold out much hope!

1 Like

@Andy_Jones,

I believe you might be right and referring to this (very active) thread:

(this is the latest update on the matter)

@Daniel_Blais it is possible that the above is affecting your experience as well.

@Gary_Maulding,

Thanks for the reply and for clarifying the symptoms; I am more than appreciative of you offering to run this experiment of a temporary new Core. Please, let us know your findings :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes, I have posted information about the issue in that other thread

1 Like

I have moved the Roon core to my laptop which is an i5 processor with 8Gb ram. No other software is active on it except Window 10 pro. The skipping is even worse than on the desktop i7. The laptop is on the same network but is using 5G Wifi instead of hard wired ethernet on the desktop. BTW, I am in Arizona.

If there are any tests or information I can provide to help you reproduce the problem, I’ll do my best to help. This is really frustrating.

Hey @Gary_Maulding,

Thanks for performing that test. It’s probable that the WiFi connection might have something to do with the behavior being even worse.

Whichever device you use as a Core (your desktop or laptop), could you please make sure it has a wired connection to the internet?

And also, could you please change your Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS?

If still this doesn’t help, I’m fairly certain it is the issue I mentioned above that is affecting you… :pensive:

A post was split to a new topic: Playback from TIDAL skips

8 posts were split to a new topic: Roon skips tracks from TIDAL

I rebooted twice a while back after seeing a thread (somewhere) here that mentioned a partial fix was implemented. It was better. The skipping came back recently (maybe yesterday). Today it is driving me CRAZY. It is horrible.

I have confirmed that Tidal works perfectly well when I stream through it directly and my own music works fine. It’s just streaming Tidal through Roon that skips. Please fix this.

I’m a lifetime subscriber on the Beta trial software. I have restarted Roon a few times. I’m running the core on a Surface Pro 4 Intel(R) Core™ i7-6650U CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 21H2.

Hey @Pat_Orchard,

Thanks a lot for following up and letting us know what happened next. We’re sorry :pensive:

Could you please:

• restart your Core
  • start playing music from TIDAL in Roon
  • write down the local date and time the playback starts skipping, as well as the track playing
  • share that with us, a alongside a zipped up folder of the logs that can be uploaded in our drive

Many thanks :pray:

How do I get a response to this? I sent the logs, etc., but don’t see any response.

1 Like

Hey @Pat_Orchard,

I appreciate you following the steps we’ve outlined above :pray:

Unfortunately, we do not get notified once you upload the logs — we were waiting on you to let us know:

• the local date and time when the issue happened
  • that the logs are in our drive

Do you still have the timestamp from the logs you’ve uploaded? If so, could you please share that with us?

If not, and the issue still exists, could you please go through the steps again, and let us know, so we can investigate?

Hey @Gary_Maulding ,

Are you still seeing this issue? We made a few DNS improvements in a previous Roon release that could have helped in your case as well. Hope things are working now, but do let us know if there’s any issue.

1 Like

Have not seen any more of this problem. Roon and Tidal working flawlessly.

2 Likes