TIDAL Playlists: random skipping last few seconds or so of tracks[Solved]

When playing a TIDAL playlist, the last few seconds of a track will occasionally skip. If there are other items on the playlist ROON will go to the next track. If it’s the last movement playback stops abruptly. Restarting the same track usually plays through without skips. This happens at random. Noticed it happening more over the last couple of days.

ROON core is on an I-5 laptop, connected to a Time-Warner Router through a powerline adapter. I’ve used both a Samsung Note 8.0 tablet and another i-5 laptop as control points. Same result. My internet speed is pretty good: download speed is around 38Mbps.

Playback is via SonicOrbiter SE.

The sound quality is good, There isn’t any stuttering during playback, Just the skipping at the end of a track.

==> Update May 29, 2016: I’ve been doing some more listening to my TIDAL playlists. Actually it’s in the last few seconds of the final track that playback ends abruptly. Re-selecting the same track from any point in the track usually solves that problem. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Hello @Sucheta_Mazumdar,

• Do you get similar issue in case of the local track playback ?
  • How laptop with Roon core is connected to your power-line adapter, wifi or wire ?
  • Can you connect the machine with Roon core directly to your Router (bypassing powerline adapter) and try to reproduce the issue ?

Thanks

•Do you get similar issue in case of the local track playback ?
=> No, I don’t get the issue with local track playback. I suspect it’s some kind of timing issue. Or Roon isn’t buffering the streaming content adequately so that the connection cuts off before playback is complete.

•How laptop with Roon core is connected to your power-line adapter, wifi or wire ?
=> I have moved Roon core so that it is directly connected to my Router.

•Cab you connect the machine with Roon core directly to your Router (bypassing powerline adapter) and try to reproduce the issue ?
=> I have done so (please see above). Problem persists, though today it was in the middle of a track. I had to restart the track to complete the playback.

Hi Support team at Roon,
I’m still experiencing the same problems as originally reported: track skipping while playing Tidal Albums. Has any progress been made on identifying the source of the problem? Please reply at your early convenience.

1. Roon core directly connected to Router via a Cat 6 cable.
  2. Sonicorbiter SE connected via Powerline Adapter (no other way to have a wired connection where SOSE is located).

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Hey @Sucheta_Mazumdar – I just sent you a PM with instructions for getting us some logs the next time this happens. We can take a look and it’s possible we’ll be able to get a better sense of the issue.

It’s also worth noting @brian’s post about how TIDAL buffering in Roon works, which you can find here.

Mike,

I submitted the log from my playback of a TIDAL playlist earlier today.

In response to your questions:

1 What version of Roon you are running (Settings > About) [Roon 1.2 Build 142 64-bit]
2. What operating system you are running (Windows 7; OSX 10.9; etc) [Windows 10]
3. Whatever you know about the device you’re using (MacBook Pro 2011 w 4gb of RAM; HP Envy laptop w i7; etc). [Lenovo X250 i-5 computer, 8gb RAM, 120gb Solid-state drive]

Let me know what you find out.

Solved - after series of tests it appeared that Powerline Adapter was causing those issues.

A quick update regarding the earlier problems I was having with Tidal streaming.

1. I connected the Audioquest Dragonfly Red directly to the Roon server laptop – had no problems with Tidal streaming. The playlist played through completely; there was no skipping, no dropouts.
  2. I moved the Sonicorbiter SE to a location where I could get a wired Ethernet connection to my router (not powerline adapter). Again no problems.
  3. I believe the Powerline Adapter was the bottleneck.

I’m going to contact an electrician and get some wiring done so that I don’t have to use a powerline adapter. If the problem should resurface with other playlists I will let you know.

Thanks for your help and patience.

1 Like