Sonos: Play 1 dropping connection [SOLVED]

@support I have a simple Sonos Play 1 and it drops very often.
Sometimes it remains uncontrollable until I restart Roon Server, some other even this procedure is useless.

My Sonos is connected via ethernet, so nothing to deal with WiFi…
Going crazy… :frowning:

Hi @Paolo_Limoncelli ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, very appreciated!

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior you are experiencing with Play 1, may I very kindly ask you for the following information:

• Please provide a breif but accurate description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

• Please verify how Play 1 is communicating with Roon/your network by providing the details network configuration/topology. Please also be sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding as to what the chain of communication “looks like”.

• My assumption to this answer is, “No”, but have you ever experienced any difficulties with the Play 1 endpoint via the Sonos application?

• While it is a touch unclear to me based on the information in your post, are you implementing any other “network” based endpoints in your configuration and if so do they ever exhibit the same behavior as the Play 1?

-Eric

Please provide a breif but accurate description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

QNAP HS251+ with Roon Server for QNAP (latest version of both OS and Roon) and 4 endpoints:

1. Denon PMA1600NE directly connected via USB to NAS
  2. Auralic Aries Mini as RAAT endpoint - Ethernet
  3. Yamaha WXA50 as AirPlay endpoint - Ethernet
  4. Sonos Play 1 as Sonos endpoint - Ethernet

My collection is about 550 Albums large.
Various formats, mainly FLAC 16/44, some 24/96 and DSD64, but the issue happens with MP3 too.
No accounts connected (Tidal etc…)
The router is the one given by my ISP, I’m using Netgear Powerline adapters (Gigabit) to reach these endpoints.

Please verify how Play 1 is communicating with Roon/your network by providing the details network configuration/topology. Please also be sure to provide insight into any networking hardware you are currently implementing. I want to have a clear understanding as to what the chain of communication “looks like”.

NAS, Airplay and Sonos are connected via their respective Powerline adapters (Ethernet)
Aries Mini is connected directly to the router.

Play 1 is correctly recognised and enabled by Roon.
The IP is assigned automatically (DHCP).
This happens in both Wireless and Wired scenarios.
I prefer to use wired one since the connection is much more reliable.

My assumption to this answer is, “No”, but have you ever experienced any difficulties with the Play 1 endpoint via the Sonos application?

Your assumption is correct. If I try to stream music using Sonos app everything goes fine.
If I stop, close the APP and switch to Roon Remote… Nothing.
It worked fine for a couple of hours after its first set up then dropped.

While it is a touch unclear to me based on the information in your post, are you implementing any other “network” based endpoints in your configuration and if so do they ever exhibit the same behavior as the Play 1?

All the remaining endpoints work like a charm, the only one that sometimes misses the first “launch” is the Yamaha via AirPlay, but it happens when the amp is in standby, so first play is needed to wake it up.

Thanks for getting back to me @Paolo_Limoncelli and taking the time to answer my questions. very appreciated!

Moving forward, I see that you are making use of Netgear Powerline adapters to reach your endpoints. The reason I am bringing this up is because we have seen some issues with these class of device in the past (example #1, example #2, example #3, example #4) and I am wondering if you could possible be feeling the same affects as seen in the examples mentioned previously.

As a very quick test, would you be able to mount the Sonos Play1 directly to your router? I am curious how the unit behaves when removed from the powerline adaptor.

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

I’ve tried the Sonos in the same room of the router (so where signal is at its best) with its wifi connection.
Nothing happened… Impossible to communicate.
Will check again with a wired connection…

1 Like

Hi! Your latest update fixed all!
Now connection is rock solid.

We can considered this issue solved!

Thanks!