Tidal Track Slow Loading

Hi @Outlaw,

Thanks for giving that a try.

Upon review of the troubleshooting above, it doesn’t quite look like you’re experiencing the same issue that others were experiencing with 1.7.

While some users reported issues with tracks skipping, there didn’t seem to be any issues with long load times and not nearly the same frequency as you’re seeing it. It also looks like you’re receiving TIDAL related errors, while other reports were receiving skips without errors.

I’m not saying the above to discount your report, but I do want to make it clear that it looks like your experience is not the same as everyone else who has updated to 1.7. We definitely want to help you get up and running here, but we need to determine what is making things work differently with your setup.

With that in mind, I’d like to propose a test that should tell us a little more about what you’re experiencing. So far we’ve determined that you’re experiencing these issues in every configuration we’ve tried with the ROCK Core.

It would be an interesting data point to know if the same behavior occurs with the Windows 10 device being used as the Core.

Can you try running the Windows device as your Core machine and give TIDAL playback a go? Is there any difference in performance?

Okay.Tried with server on windows pc but will try windows as core.

Okay.Roon Rock drop outs and music stopping and occasionally skipping to next track.Windows with Roon server same issues.Installed Roon core on Windows only played for a hour no issues.Will try again tomorrow.Why would Roon server have issue yet Roon core no-issue on same pc ?

Spoke to soon.Same issue with roon core on pc when tried today.Nothing changed in my system only update to 1.7.Very frustrating.Also tried disabling firewall on router.

Hi @Outlaw,

Just to confirm, was RoonServer and Roon using a fresh database or did you restore from a backup?
Can you please send me the logs from your Roon or RoonServer test by using the instructions you used before?

This sounds like it could be a networking-related issue if it occurs for 3 Cores on the same network if they are not using the same database.

As mentioned in our Networking Best Practices, we have often seen issues surrounding ISP-provide routers. I don’t have all the information yet, but this is a possible issue. We also recommend adding IPv6 exceptions to technicolor routers as mentioned at the end of the guide, but the simplest test would be replacing the router with a consumer-grade router instead.

I have had this router fro two years.Never had issue.I tried disabling router firewall same issues.Nothing changed in system.Problem started as soon as I updated to 1.7.I even tried HQPlayer embedded and streamed Tidal from mcconnect app to HQPlayer without issue.Tidal works properly with everything but Roon.

Would this be a good choice for a router
Asus RT-AX88U AX6000 Dual-Band WiFi Router

Hi @Outlaw,

Yes, an ASUS router would be much better to use than that Technicolor ISP-provided one. I can’t guarantee that it’ll fit every need (since I have not used that specific one before), so I would suggest to get it from a place that supports easy returns if you find that it’s not right for you.

Can you let me know the above? Was the database fresh or did you restore? Can you send a copy of the logs?

Fresh database

I will see if I can borrow a router.Like I said before had no issues until 1.7.Don’t feel like spending 3 to 4 hundred dolllars for something and if same issue were to continue I would be pretty upset.

Also would a wired router with end points be beneficial to Roon with tidal ? And if so any recommendations?

Hi @Outlaw,

Before we proceed further, I just want to go over some terminology to make sure that we are on the same page. A Roon Core is more like a state, it can be transferred between multiple machines and you can designate the Roon Core on any machine which meets our minimum requirements. RoonServer, on the other hand, is an application that runs in the background on PCs and hosts the Roon Core. I wanted to clarify this because I saw you mentioned Roon and RoonServer above:

Onto the new remarks now:

Yes, this is a good idea. Best not to buy gear if you can borrow and we can confirm the issue.

Just to confirm here, you weren’t trying to connect to the ROCK as a client by any chance? To use a fresh database on the PC, you would have to use these instructions (on your Windows PC):

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

If you have done this and the behavior is still the same with a fresh database (on your laptop and you are not connecting to the ROCK), please send me a copy of your laptop logs by using these instructions.

As per our Networking Best Practices, we always suggest using Ethernet when possible.

Did try roon server on windows 10 pc.Did a fresh install of Roon Rock on nuc.Only using with Tidal.No wifi all hard wired except wifi for remotes.Issues were still on both.We have tried before i did fresh install of rock naming folder to Roon_Old and copy of logs were sent.

Music stopped.It says limited to Roon library.Only using tidal with Roon no local library ?

Hi @Outlaw,

I realize you tried RoonServer fresh on the ROCK, but the test here was to use Roon/RoonServer fresh on the Windows Core and not connect to your ROCK Core, just keep Windows as acting as the Core.

Performing this test will give us a better idea if the issue is related to an environmental variable such as the network or if it is Core-specific to the ROCK.

If the issue remains the same when using the Windows Core (with ROCK nowhere in the picture), I would kindly request logs from the Windows PC you used to perform the test.

You can set RoonServer aside on the Windows Core by using the above instructions. Thank you.

Okay i just installed Roon server on Windows 10 PC.I will give it a try and let you know.Thanks

1 Like

Okay with Roon server on pc used for three hours no drop outs or music stops.Still the issue of buffering sometimes happens when I play a song and then Roon radio starts it takes up to some times 10 secs to start and will get stuttering.Once roon radio starts its okay.

What now.Tonight plays one song and then stops says unexpected error limited Roon radio to Roon library

HI @Outlaw,

Is this behavior still on-going? Can you please note the timestamp and then send me a copy of the Roon logs from the affected machine by using these instructions?

Just tried now seems okay.Maybe a issue with Tidal ?