Tidal tracks skipping and not actually playing

When playing Tidal tracks, roon simply quickly scrolls through each track without actually playing anything then reports nothing in playlist.

I have cleared the cache, uninstalled the software, restarted the computer, and reinstalled the software. Still the same issue. I did restore from a backup after reinstalling.

Any help is appreciated.

Playing Tidal tracks directly from Tidal app works fine.

Windows 10, latest version, USB out from computer to Parasound Halo Integrated.

Hi @Mark_Cunningham ----- Thank you for feedback, the insight is very appreciated!

To help me better evaluate this issue you are reporting to us, may I kindly ask you for the following:

1. An expanded description of your current setup as seen here.

2. My assumption is that you do not notice this behavior with your personal collection or playlists generated with locally stored content, but please confirm.

3. Please provide some further insight into when you first started noticing this behavior. Have there been any changes made to your setup? Just trying to determine if anything could be having an influence here.

-Eric

1. 64 bit, windows 10, Alienware Alpha computer w/ i5 processor, music is on QNAP NAS, collection is approximately 250 albums

2. this behavior is the same no matter what the source of music is (Tidal, NAS)

3. I noticed this behavior yesterday. This was the first time I used Roon after a recent windows 20 update. The windows 10 update broke the drivers for my USB connection to my DAC. The DAC is built into my Parasound Halo Integrated amp.

My tidal account is US based and is a HiFi account.

This issue happens no matter what source I try and play music from. It does not seem to be specific to any type or file format.

Hi @Mark_Cunningham ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions both are appreciated!

Can you verify for me if you playback through the internal speakers of the Win10 device hosting your Core, do you make the same skipping observation? Furthermore, you mentioned that a recent Windows update disrupted your USB drivers. Have they since been reinstalled or are things in the same state?

Lastly, can you confirm that there are no active firewalls or antivirus applications running on your setup?

-Eric

@Eric Thanks for your help on this. We are getting closer but still not quite fixed. I turned windows defender and windows firewall off and restarted roon. Everything worked. I re-enabled windows firewall and windows defender and everything still worked. Then I restarted roon again and it went back to skipping all tracks.

So in summary if I turbwindows firewall and windows defender off, open roon, and then turn windows firewall and windows defender back on, roon will work until the next time I close it and/or restart the computer. A work around for now but I would like your help with a better solution.

Thanks.

AC

@Eric Unfirtunately this only seemed to work once. I am back where I started. I can’t get anything to play in roon and turning off firewall and defender do not allow it to work. I even added an exception in the firewall for roon. Same problem still exists.

To answer your other questions - I do not have internal speakers. The computer is connected by HDMI to a TV. I changed th default autio device to the TV and sound works from other sources. The issues with th USB driver for my DAC have been resolved. Sound works in all other apps. Seems like sound works in roon as well because I managed to get it to play once when messing with firewall and anti virus settings. The problem continues to be the skipping of all the tracks.

I do not have any third party firewalls or antivirus on the computer.

Thanks for your continued efforts in troubleshooting.

AC

Hi @Mark_Cunningham ---- Thank you for touching base with me and taking the time to answer questions as well provide the observations that were made during your troubleshooting.

I understand you’ve created a security exception for Roon (:thumbsup:), can you verify that you’ve also made the same for “RAATServer” as well?

-Eric

@Eric Hi Eric, this is still not working. I have added firewall rules for roon and raat for public and private networks. I have even tried to turned off windows defender and windows firewall, restarted the computer, and tried roon again. I have uninstalled roon, restarted the computer, reinstalled roon twice now. It is still not working.

Same problem where it skips through the tracks from any source.

All other audio with all other windows applications works as expected.

I have done all I that I know how to do. I am relatively computer savvy and this is taking up too much time. Please provide detailed step-by-step instructions to resolve and/or troubleshoot. I would be willing to do remote desktop session. If these are not options, please escalate me to the next tier of customer support.

Thank you.

Hi @Mark_Cunningham ---- Thank you for following up with me and sharing what troubleshooting steps you have tried since we last spoke.

Upon seeing your response, I contacted my tech team to ask for some feedback on this behavior. As per their request, I would like to grab some logs from you to see if we can pinpoint what is causing this skipping behavior to occur. May I kindly ask you to please perform the following:

1. Very important - Please reproduce the behavior being reported and note the time in which it occurs.

2. Following the instructions found here, dump us a set of logs.

Lastly, I am curious about the following observation you made during my data gathering questions:

“The computer is connected by HDMI to a TV. I changed th default autio device to the TV and sound works from other sources. The issues with th USB driver for my DAC have been resolved. Sound works in all other apps. Seems like sound works in roon as well because I managed to get it to play once when messing with firewall and anti virus settings. The problem continues to be the skipping of all the tracks.”

• Just to confirm when you played content via Roon to the your TV (HDMI out), you still had this skipping issue, correct?

-Eric