Transitioning from Nucleus to Nucleus Titan - Technical Support Needed (ref#CA06GG)

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· None of the above

Other options

· Other

Describe the issue

I am interested in purchasing a Nucleus Titan and trading in my functioning Nucleus. Need technical support with the transition.

Describe your network setup

Networking Gear and Setup Details: Pakedge RK-1 Router; Nucleus is hardwired to Ethernet via a QNAP QSW-1208-8C-US 12 Port Unmanaged 10GbE Switch Twelve SFP+ with Shared Eight 10GBASE-T Ports

Is this what you are looking for?

and this might give some other details:

Hi @Mark_Salkind,

As @bearFNF has shared above - we have a good amount of Knowledge Base articles that should cover everything needed for a migration process!

A few things to keep in mind: make sure you have a few healthy copies of your existing database before making any edits.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way :+1:

1 Like

Yes, the articles you cited are helpful. But mainly I want to know that explicit technical support will be available for making this transition – not just a series of articles. It seems to me that if you’re trying to sell a product that costs $4,000, you’d want to provide explicit instructions for transferring a Nucleus over to a new Nucleus Titan. On you store website, you state: “Expert help before and after you buy>” I want to make sure that is accurate. I’m asking because the contact us link in Roon Store isn’t even working.

I am a user like you.
Those articles are from the official Roon Labs Knowledge Base off Roons main site. It is specifically for guidance on how to migrate from one Nucleus to another. The second one is more information for migrating from one server to another.

There are several parts to technical support one would be searching said Knowledge base, another is posting here in the forums (when you encounter specific issues) where Roon Staff (Benjamin is Roon Technical Support Staff) and fellow users like me would help you. Hope that helps clarify a little.

Benjamin - What I’m most concerned about is the exact sequence of steps. I currently have a Nucleus, which has a 4TB SSD internal drive and a 2TB SSD USB drive connected externally to the Nucleus. Even as I write this out, I’m not clear on the correct sequence (and the articles don’t make this absolutely clear).
As I understand it, the steps are:

1. Disconnect the external USB drive from the Nucleus and open up the Nucleus and remove the internal hard drive and install it inside the Nucleus Titan; attach the external USB drive to the Titan.
  2. Create a database backup of the Nucleus (easiest is to use a USB drive).
    QUESTION: Does step 2 come before step 1?
  3. Once I have the internal drive from the Nucleus installed on the Nucleus Titan, can I simply turn it on and proceed with the restore from backup? In other words, do I need to do anything else to those files on the internal drive? Will the Titan locate them – or do I have to update/enter the correct pathway? (this can be difficult).
    In the Nucleus Migration article, there is an entire section (#3) on configuring your internal storage. Do I need to follow this if I’m simply taking the internal drive from the Nucleus and installing it on the Titan?
    What I would find most helpful is a very clear sequence of what to do and when. Articles have multiple sections which are then hyperlinked to other sections. A clear guide would be the most helpful.
    And again, for a product that costs $4,000, can’t Roon do a bit better on being helpful here?

Benjamin – two more thoughts:

1. I’ve just checked all the articles I can find in the Roon Knowledge Base and there is nothing that covers transferring an existing (already formatted) internal drive from one Nucleus to a new one. What does that involve or require?
  2. I already have the Roon app on my Mac Studio computer (and have had for years). Would I need to re-install it once I connect the Nucleus Titan?
  3. Finally, in the Roon Store, they say something about “resetting” the Nucleus if you’re trading it in on a new Titan (which I am doing). When does this reset come in the sequence of steps?
    Thanks in advance.

Hey @Mark_Salkind,

Thanks for the follow-up, I’d be happy to fill in any gaps and questions you have for the migration process.

Yes, before anything else, make a fresh backup of your current Nucleus database. In fact, I’d make two fresh backups to different locations (external drive, and over the network to one of your computers being used as a roon remote etc.)

Before making any hardware changes, be sure Roon Server is safely stopped (you can do this from the webUI) and then power down your Nucleus.

It sounds like you’re wanting to swap both an external drive, as well as the internal music storage SSD. Is your local library split between the two?

No, you shouldn’t need to re-initialize the SSD in this situation. Reformatting the SSD would wipe any content on the drive - which is why having a few fresh backups is always a good thing.

Once you’ve backed everything up, you can then start the restore process on the new Titan.

Here’s a step-by-step process that you may find helpful:

Benjamin – thanks for jumping back in here to answer my questions. I just placed an order for the Nucleus Titan, so this transition will be a reality soon.

You write: Before making any hardware changes, be sure Roon Server is safely stopped (you can do this from the webUI) and then power down your Nucleus.
>Yes, I understand that, but a communication with someone at the Roon Store said it was very important not to Reset under Roon Database & Settings (on the webUI) until you’ve verified that everything is working correctly with the new Nucleus Titan. Once having shutdown the old Nucleus and set up the new Titan, will I be able to go back to the old Nucleus and Reset it (before sending it in for the trade-in)? You can’t have two Nucleus’ going at the same time, can you? Not sure how I would do that.

You write: It sounds like you’re wanting to swap both an external drive, as well as the internal music storage SSD. Is your local library split between the two?
>Yes, my music library is split between an internal SSD and an external USB drive connected to the Nucleus. After shutting down the Nucleus, I would then transfer the internal drive to the Titan and connect the external USB drive before proceeding to connect the Titan to the network and power it up. Is that correct?

You write: Once you’ve backed everything up, you can then start the restore process on the new Titan.

Here’s a step-by-step process that you may find helpful:

How to upgrade from Nucleus+ to Nucleus Titan Nucleus

**>The guide to the steps to transition from an older Nucleus to the Nucleus Titan is very helpful. And, it address an issue that the Migration Guide doesn’t talk about – which is updating the Nucleus Titan (it’s talked about elsewhere in Roon Knowledge Base, but not in the Migration Guide). I believe you need to do this step first before you restore from a backup. But please let me know if I’m wrong. **
And I very much second what this one user wrote: “It would be great to include a page from the QR code on the smoothest upgrade procedure for existing owners.”
Thanks again for your support as I go through this process.
– Mark

Hi @Mark_Salkind,

Yes, all I mentioned was stopping Roon Server from running safely, nothing about clicking ‘reset’ on your database settings. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, all you need is your old Nucleus plugged in, and to connect to the webUI via a web browser.

Yes! You’ve got it correct. :+1:

I will certainly share the feedback with the team! Thanks for sharing it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.