Ubuntu Roon server install tips

Yes there’s one on desktop and one on the usb hard drive

So you should be able to plug that into your new server and do a restore.
I have done this a couple of times, going from Synology to Rock and then another Rock and while it has taken forever too restore on both occasions. once rebooted it has always worked perfectly

Have you restarted Roon or rebooted the computer and made sure that the Roon service is started?

1 Like

I can’t use ROCK, because the 11th gen NUC is not compatible, as it doesn’t run in legacy. So I’ve had to learn Linux, Ubuntu etc
Eventually it seemed as though I have the Roon server installed, using the “easy installer”.
But there are a few steps I may be missing. I haven’t been able to run the NUC headless yet (ssh and using my Mac to run the NUC isn’t completed).
I also don’t think I migrated correctly, as I hadn’t disconnected Roon from the Mac? Or had the NUC turned on when I connected the usb hd? Either way when I try to connect my iPhone and Mac as remotes and use them to connect my NUC as the core, it doesn’t happen.

So the answer to your question is…. I did reboot, but can’t find roon, or the database

Steven I am no Ubuntu guy but it doesn’t sound like you restored your backup.

So the process goes after you install Roon on Ubuntu you need to point your Roon client to the new server and then login to that server (which logs your other Roon server out) and do the restore from the USB drive.

Did you do that?

I did, but when I got through to the Roon menu (with the restore from back up tab at the bottom). It failed to install, and said there was an error.

So I started to check over all the install processes again, to see if I missed something

I have disconnected my Mac as a core now, and re-loaded Roon on my Mac. I have not tried the restore process again yet, in case I had to get the ssh corrected before my remotes would work.

Steven you don’t need ssh for Roon to run, only to get onto your Core to debug , install software etc.

If you can log back in to Roon on the Ubuntu server and try to restore the backup again and see what happens (from within the Roon client). Maybe you want to make a fresh backup first to make sure you have a good backup

In terminal Roon appears to be active and running.

But I can’t find Roon to log into it, I’ve searched /var/roon/RoonServer. No results found.

I restored on the NUC and logged into Roon on my Mac to complete the restore. In the Roon remote app on my phone and on the Mac, I can’t connect them to the NUC still?

Honestly I’m not trying to sound arrogant, and I understand all situations/skill levels are different… but any users looking at installing Ubuntu onto a PC or RPI4, please don’t be alarmed by the issues some users have presented in this thread.

I’m a newbie/novice Linux user and have installed Ubuntu on about 6-8 devices using both Roon server and bridge, with no issues at all. Rock solid, stable, and sounds great.

After installing the latest Ubuntu server image, I simply followed the Roon Linux instructions.
You will likely need to install a few additional dependencies (not listed by the Roon instructions) like tar/bz2, and utils etc… But a quick google provides the relevant terminal commands.

Once you get your head around putty/SSH etc, its pretty easy to get going.

1 Like

I think the key statement here is once you get your head around Putty/SSH etc

I have known many friends that can never get their head around that, it just doesn’t stick.

That’s why Steven tried to go with Rock to start, but unfortunately Rock is not yet ready for his device.

Steven have you thought about putting Windows on the server? Obviously cost’s money, but Roon does work well on it.

I think I’ve done all the hard work already. Im 95% there, and kinda want to figure it out.

2 Likes

Dunno if this is the best thread to ask, but have been running ubuntu 20.04 server for past 6mos (migrated from a win core) but have not created any OS backups (this computer only runs core/server).

The roon DB and music files etc. are regularly backed up, but if the server tanks, well I’d rather have a “easy” way to get back up and running, especially since I’m not a linux regular.

It would seem to me the best way would be to remove the M.2 and image (clone) it to another M.2. I recall there are some hardware “devices” similar to HD’s, e.g. inserting a physical/external HD into a “docking station”.

Anyway looking for some easy/economical suggestions

I also run Roon core on Ubuntu 20.04 server. it’s running on NUC10I5FNH hardware and headless, so no keyboard, mouse or monitor attached.

I can remote login to Ubuntu using ssh and the VNC viewer for the graphical desktop.

Running headless you will need this:

3 Likes

It’s unclear what hdmi-emulator dongle does ?

1 Like

It simulates an attached monitor. Without the HDMI dongle the Ubuntu graphical desktop wil not start en no virtual display is available.

1 Like

That’s neat

Finally got remote user working through SSH.

Question now is…. Once I connect the hard drive with Roon database on it, how and where do I install it. I just clicked “send to” last time, is this correct?

Where does it load to? Does it automatically load onto NUC installed drive? Where do I see this?

I’m pretty sure you will need to mount the drive (Ubuntu server doesn’t auto mount).
Unless of course you have installed automounting software. Follow this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB

Once mounted, use Roon remote to locate the mounting folder and select your backup.

1 Like

I’ll give it a go. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help and advice.
I
seemed to fall over the line, but core is running, remotes are all connected.

Although auto back up failed last night. “Backup directory not available”

Please could someone explain the process, which drive or folder to use for the backups, and how to do it too. In simplest form too, my ancient head hurts with trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance

1 Like