Ultra Budget Streaming Server Beelink T4 Pro

It took under an hour to setup, but I’ve now got the Beelink T4 Pro running the latest ubuntu server lts (headless) and roon-server.

This device is very low price (120 new), and very low spec: 12v, 4G RAM+64GB eMMC and Intel® Apollo Lake Processor N3350 (2M Cache, 2 Cores, 1.10GHz up to 2.4GHz).

Nothing particularly hard about it, flash a usb with ubuntu server image, install, connect to lan temporarily, setup wifi (yes it works), update, and install roon-server with dependencies.

Unplug everything, and there’s literally just the power cable and a usb wire to my DAC.

However, it’s a very powerful combo with roon + dac. I can now stream at max quality, and add in any higher quality files I want that the DAC supports (DSD512/PCM768) via usb3 storage or network shares.

Since it’s roon, I can remote it, arc in, and cast to all the chromecast groups in my home wirelessly.

Photo, with mouse for scale.

Full setup with mini-pc slotted in:

Total spend: 420

• 150 for Topping E30 II 2xAK4493S DAC
  • 150 for Topping PA3S 80w
  • 120 for Beelink T4 Pro Mini PC.

For reference this is driving 6ohm/88dB stand mount speakers, and driving them perfectly well, and much much better than my old class a/b (which cost much more than this entire setup).

More views and full journey/thread here: Chromecast Audio replacement, for Roon + Tidal Connect + Chromecast - #34 by Sonder

9 Likes

AMZN US has this with a $20 off coupon right now. That’s a good chunk of compute for $100

I might have just bought one to use as a HDMI Roon endpoint. I’m going to unplug the fan and see if it survives. I assume it should just as an endpoint. It looks to have a decent chunky heatsink.

Thanks for the post confirming Linux was an easy install. Lots of these mini PCs have something funky forcing added time I don’t have to get the default Windows install off of them.

Seems like a good option if you want to install Roon in your car.

2 Likes

The only very minor gotcha was that bzip2 needs installed.

I feel there is a lot of noise around this, people confusing rock for just headless-linux+roon-server, people confusing devices “no linux support” with no ability to dual boot, couple with old posts and resurrected information about ubuntu not having drivers for this and that. Gut says the vast majority will “just work”, this is probably one of the most nuanced and cheap ones out there, and it’s issue-less, I mean it’s the thing doesn’t even have traditional storage!

Okay, the fan was doing my head in, just at a frequency which was annoying and you could hear at normal listening levels. Only took a minute to turn it off.

Step 1: Peel back the rubber feet and unscrew (x4, one at each corner)

Step 2: Unclip the fan connector.

Screw it back together.

Disclaimer: No responsibility, if you do this and it breaks, it’s not my fault.

Running for a few hours and no issues or heat so far. I’ll update it overheats and needs to be reconnected.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Not always the case in today’s litigation happy society ( at least here in the USA)
It may be there just in case of the 0.01% that might locate it on top of a space heater!
Yes those figures are made up but hopefully you get the sentiment.

I have no opinion at all on whether a fan is required in this unit or not.
Just expressing my view of potential reasoning for things being done that at first glance might not be obvious.
Over and out.

2 Likes

ubuntu-server running a single package with light requirements, wifi adapter, and a single USB out to a DAC is quite different to running windows and desktop usage with dual monitors out and multiple peripherals, as the device was designed (lol) / marketed to do.

after several hours of roon running, including mqa decoding and DSP’s, I get:

For now I’m very unconcerned. Also note, all air vents are on the sides, none under or above.

That said, if it becomes an issue in any way I’ll update accordingly.

Side note: performance is 28x to 98x in roon for processing, depending on variables.

2 Likes

Excellent, thank you.

I assume the fan is required because they put the thing in a plastic case. Metal heat sink on a plastic case with no airflow is a good way to melt the case. I was planning on running mine without that cover to give the heat sink its best chance. Although, looking at @Sonder 's numbers… it seems to be plenty happy in the case.

…and I agree… too many people on Amazon buying this thinking its a $120 “gaming PC”. :stuck_out_tongue: Poor little thing never had a chance.

2 Likes

I have found the larger the music collection the more computing power is needed. How big is your collection?

1 Like

I will note that on this device it’s entirely streaming via qobuz and tidal.

600 albums, 7000 tracks.

Typically streaming two different sources to two different rooms, 10-14 hours a day, with MQA decoding and a couple of eqs, doesn’t break a sweat.

In terms of downloaded media, I currently only have about 4gb of mixes in 192/24, and don’t plan to add more. Setup is very “a transparent streaming solution” to boost ease of access and general quality across the board.

Hope that helps a little

I can’t get a Linux installed on this thing. i/o error always as it tries to install. Wondering if there is an issue with the eMCC. Not as much fun. I’ll keep trying.

EDIT: I knew if I complained the thing would behave. Got an OS on it to test with after restarting the install a few times.

which did you go for? latest lts ubuntu server has the mix of drivers and support you need

Pop!_OS

I’ll try ROCK as well at some point. I’m just using it general purpose right now and watching temps with no fan.

OK. I got Ubuntu running the lowlatency kernel and I think I’m done tinkering for a bit. I also removed the fan and left the cover off. Temps seem just fine. Note though, the two chips directly under the fan are the soldered memory. I might stick heatsinks on those as they were getting warmer than the heatsink with heavy memory access (hitting them with infrared temp gun). Although bridge doesn’t really use any memory so shrug

It works. Levels adjusted. Maybe I’ll change its name someday. Note to those in the US… this thing is now sold by multiple brands, including Beelink, and prices range from $98 to $130 on the AMZN today. Maybe I’ll get me a second one? Boot the preinstalled copy of windows on this thing at your own risk. Mine kindly came with a worm according to Windows defender.

Capture

Linux tinytest 5.19.0-1018-lowlatency #19-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue Feb 7 18:03:52 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

freq bounces around a bit but temp seems stable. Actually I don’t see temp moving. I wonder if its not reporting temp right. I should install sensors.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep -i mhz ; cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone{0,2}/temp
cpu MHz         : 1591.854
cpu MHz         : 1591.854

about 1 second later 
cpu MHz         : 2288.290
cpu MHz         : 2288.290

$ free -t
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:         3858872      286272     3309240        1164      263360     3340340

Awesome
I’ve been using mine 12-16 hours a day, always on, zero issues or temperature rises, quite happy with it for an ultra budget setup

In all honesty, unless I wanted something to handle a huge local library of local large sized files, I don’t know why I’d need more, it “just works”.

[OFF-TOPIC]
I use this combination here at home:

• iN2 Merrick 1R as Roon Core (a sort of a NUC with RoonOS pre-installed): £369,00
  • Topping DX3 Pro Plus as DAC/preamp/headphone amplifier: £199,00.

Well, as I’m a great Linux fan (I have a Raspberry Pi 4 here at home) doing his “dirty” work in an excellent way, I would have certainly opted for the Beelink T4 Pro at the time I bought the Merrick if I had known.
Anyway, Nathan, great setup, congratulations.

1 Like

Update: still going strong, on 24/7 and working half that. Found one issue after moving the device in my office:

If using ethernet, connection appears to drop every few hours / stall, haven’t dug in to logs yet. Wireless all good however (my normal usage).

It’s now feeding a balanced stack of topping e70 → hypex nc256mp → triangle borea’s with no issues

Almost a year later, the little beelink is still running perfectly, on 24/7, used 12-15 hours a day - keep wanting to upgrade but can’t find a reason to replace this component - highest ROI component in my setup I’d argue.

1 Like