Unable to configure Arc

@support Hi,

Roon is reporting ARC not ready and I’m unable to access my library away from home.

I’ve enabled port forwarding using the port listed as the listening port but no success.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Nucleus+
Mac

Netgear Nighthawk AX120

Naim Atom

718742 tracks

Unable to access ARC

Diagnostics:
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“103.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}

I used Port Forwarding Tester, that reported that the port is closed??

The port forwarding diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP is not properly configured on your router or not working correctly.

Please try the following steps in order:

• Reboot your Roon Core and networking gear (router, modem, switches, etc.)
  • Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Try to update your router firmware
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode and if not, try to place into Bridge mode

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?

Thanks!

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the reply.

My modem is a Netgear Rax120 which is a modem/router.
It’s in router mode, can you confirm that that is correct for a modem/router rather than a stand alone modem?

Thanks for your advise

Paul

Is this what the ISP supplied? Or, is there another device connected to the wall plate?

Hi Martin,

My ISP is Uniti Wireless, I supplied my own modem / router and there is a PoE adapter between the modem and the wall.

thanks for your help

Paul

I’m guessing but please confirm. Your on one of the Uniti fixed wireless services? They put a little dish or aerial outside your home? Probably from a company called Ubiquity? That’s a Ubiquity PoW adapter which powers the aerial?

If so… supplying your own router is a good start as there won’t be another router in this configuration. At least not ISP supplied.

So, next question…
Can you look at the “WAN address” on your router and see if it falls within the range on this post?

If it’s not within that range (which would be good) then look at your UPnP settings. They should be off / disabled as you don’t really want to run UPnP with manual port forwarding as things can get confused.

Next thing to look at… You added a custom service “Roon”. Did you set this for Service Type as TCP or TCP/UDP?

And, then, a lot of fixed wireless providers don’t allow inbound connections so may need to investigate this with Uniti. But the community will troubleshoot all we can.

1 Like

@support
hi,

Thanks for helping with this and I can confirm that I’m on the Unity fixed wireless service.

I’ve found the WAN preference in the Internet Preference tab, which is Internet Port (1 Gbps)

This is the ARC diagnosis for Roon support:
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“103.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“Did not find UPnP service with WANIPConnection on network”}
}

UPnP was on and so I’ve turned it off.

The Roon custom service was set to TCP/UDP.

I rebooted the Nighthawk with the new setting and this is the new Roon ARC diagnosis:

{
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

The only difference is the upnp status not found.

Best wishes

Paul

Many thanks

Paul

Hi,

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router? Netgear AX12
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches? Yes, TP-Link 8 PORT ethernet switch TL-SG1008D
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region? Uniti wireless, Melbourne, Australia
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both? Router mode

@support

Help, any clues on why ARC won’t work for me? Here’s the latest error message, I’ve tried the usual solutions without success.

{
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

I assume somewhere under basic is a status or other screen that shows you status and address of the wan interface. But, I can’t for the life of me find a manual for that thing that has pictures so not sure where exactly.

Nucleus+
Mac

Netgear Nighthawk AX120

Naim Atom

718742 tracks

Unable to access ARC

Diagnostics:
{
}

Please don’t open multiple posts on the same issue. Let’s keep everything within the same thread, please.

I’ve sent an email to my ISP to ask if they supply me a public IP address rather than a cgnat address.

Can anyone please advise if there’s anything else I can do to enable me use ARC.

May seem drastic, but do you have any other choices as to ISP?

Thanks, but they haven’t given me an answer yet, and perhaps the issue lies with my settings?

Hi,

Can you tell me what I need to do with status and address of the WAN interface when I find it please.

many thanks

Hi,

I’m still troubleshooting this issue.

Can you please tell me if I should set the Roon service type to TCP or TCP/UDP?

Cheers

Paul

Hi @Paul_Elliott.

For the Port forwarding, Roon Arc only needs TCP.

Kind regards,

Maarten.

Hi @Paul_Elliott,

Thank you for your patience as the team worked through the queue of ARC-related issues to reach your request. Following the thread, it seems as if you’re in the final stages of setting a manual port forwarding rule in your router’s web GUI to safely point the Core through the designated port in Roon → Settings → ARC.

Just taking a brief search through other posts here and on the broader internet, it would appear that Uniti has implemented carrier-grade NAT across their residential-tier accounts (here’s another forum mentioning it, for instance). Hopefully, they’ll respond to your inquiry with a menu of options for bypassing their CG-NAT, usually in the form of a dedicated routable IPv4 address or a business account upgrade. I’d definitely proceed with requesting a dedicated IP address if available.

If your setup is as follows: Modem/Router → Router → Core, then you’ll also have a double NAT situation in your local network. I recommend placing the Netgear Rax120 modem in BRIDGE (modem-only) mode, and connecting your devices to the downstream Netgear AX120 router.

You can also try enabling UPnP on the AX120, although that won’t help with the CG-NAT that seems to be involved here.

Please let me know once you hear back from your ISP, and we’ll be watching this thread.

Hi Conner,

I received an answer from my ISP which follows.
But one point I’d like to clarify is that I have a netgear AX120 modem / router and not another seperate router and so should I leave the settings in the Netgear on Router mode?

Thanks for your help and here’s the email from my ISP, they seemed to suggest that there’s a way to port forward without paying the extra $10 a month.

Thank you for your time today,

We are using upgraded CGNat (carrier-grade NAT, also informally known as Double NAT) to provide greater customer connection security and enhance the use of the limited number of IPv4 addresses remaining on the internet, as per the ISP industry standard. This may potentially cause issues with port forwarding and VPNs.

For more information on CGNat, see Carrier-grade NAT - Wikipedia and cgnat - Google Search

If you wish to have CGNat and its security features disabled, you will need to pay for a static IP at a cost of $10 per month.

It may be possible to get port forwarding and VPNs to work with CGNat, but is not something we can provide assistance with. See the below for some self-help on the subject.

Netcomm NF18MESH port forwarding: nf18mesh port forwarding - Google Search
Generic router port forwarding: router port forwarding - Google Search
Xbox port forwarding: xbox port forwarding - Google Search
PS5 port forwarding: ps5 port forwarding - Google Search

Kind Regards,
Ankur

Uniti Wireless Support
1300 847 201
support@unitiwireless.com

Yes.

ummm “no”, but that’s my opinion.

This is the real reason and this is why more and more ISPs will start using this until IPv6 is more widely deployed and in use.

VPNs yes. Port Forwarding absolutely no. Not without the ISP putting rules into their CGNAT infrastructure to forward inwards to you.

If you want to avoid the $10 then look into some of the great write-ups others have done here for getting VPNs working. I like the Tailscale solution personally although I don’t use it.