Unable to Connect Roon Rock to Synology NAS After DSM7 Upgrade (ref#MUC2P9)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

I don't like how the product works

After upgrading to DSM7 on my Synology NAS, I can no longer get Roon Rock (running on a separate computer) to connect to my NAS. I've enabled NTLMv2 and SMBv3 with no success.

Are you able to discover the NAS with https://finds.synology.com

I can find the NAS using that software.

On the storage settings tab on a Roon Remote, what does it show?

Could be the the path name has changed

The path names are all the same as they were previously.

When I try to add a storage location, my change is rejected.

Joel

Until @support can assist further, I’d reboot your equipment in this order in a means to try and resolve your issue.

Router - allow to come back on fully

Roon Rock - wait until you can detect it with your Roon Remote device

NAS - again, wait until fully up and running

Then see if things are back to working.

Thanks.

I think I’ll have to wait for support to get back to me.

Joel

Considering that it stopped working as a result of a change on the NAS, it is unlikely that Roon support will be able to fix this for you.

Can you connect to the file share on the NAS from another device (e.g. a computer)?

Yes, I can.

Maybe you have a typo in the network path?
The article below has the correct syntax examples. I’m not running ROCk, but I would think it uses the Linux notation

It’s all ways worked fine up until the update and nothing has changed since then.

Joel

Hi @Joel_Alperson,

Thanks for writing in! Are you able to review the current permissions between the NAS and Roon?

What happens if you test out using another SMB client? For example:

Thanks very much for your response, Benjamin.

Yes, I believe I can check the permissions.

What should I be looking for?

And I’ve downloaded the app you’ve recommended but confess I’m not sure how to use it.

I’ll appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks again.

Joel

Are you using credentials?

I am using credentials.

Joel

What happens if your connect just to the base share of the NAS and not the specific folder?

I haven’t tried that and won’t be able to try to do that in Roon until tomorrow night.

I’ll let you know then.

Thanks a lot.

Joel

I couldn’t reach the base folder.

It’s the same issue I’m having with the other folders.

Joel

Hi @Joel_Alperson,

This would be the permissions set on the NAS specifically. If you could navigate to ~ Control Panel > Shared Folders > Edit > Permissions on the NAS and make sure Roon has read and write access, that would be a good next step.

Every user (there are three of them including Admin) have Read/Write privileges.

“Roon” isn’t listed specifically, but I’m assuming it doesn’t have to be. Is that right?

Thanks Benjamin.

Joel