Unable to locate Roon Core / no audio devices found

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

21" iMac, late 2012, MacOS 10.15.5, Roon version 1,7 (build 571 (stable)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Orbi mesh, 1 base, 1 satellite. iMac connected to base via ethernet. 1 16" MacBook Pro 2019, 1 13.3" MacBook. All Macs running MacOS 10.15.5. 1 iPhone 8, 1 iPhone XsPlus, both running iOS 13.6; 1 iPad Air and 1 iPad Pro 9.8, running IpadOS 13.6

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NAD DAC2 wireless NAC connected to iMac via USB. Onboard audio devices in Macbooks, iPads, and iPhones

Description Of Issue

On starting Roon server connectivity is fine from all satellites. Eventually one of two things happens:

  1. the satellite is unable to see the core. I’ve tried selecting a new core, including by IP address, and the core is still not seen.
  2. No audio devices are found by the satellite.

I can’t associate the start of the problem with any specific event, e.g., an operating system or hardware upgrade.

When this happens to one client it happens to all of them. It requires a reboot of the server to restore normal operation. The server firewall has rules allowing incoming connection to Roon and RAATserver. As an experiment I have disabled the firewall and antivirus, first on the server and then on one of the MacBooks, but this did not help. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Roon on the server and the clients to no avail.

Ping shows that clients and server are visible to each other

Any thoughts? This has become very frustrating because it makes my music collection inaccessible most of thee time. When it is working Roon is the ideal solution for my needs.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.


Hi @Stu_Farnham,

Thanks for reaching out! I’m looking over your report and there are a few things which could use some clarification, can you please let me know:

By this, do you mean that any of your Roon Remotes connected to the Orbi satellite is unable to locate the Core?

Are you using the latest firmware from Orbi on both? I would also check the multicast settings on this router, as per our Networking Best Practices Guide:

Netgear Orbi Routers

If you’re making use of an Orbi router, we recommend unchecking Disable IGMP Proxying in your router’s settings. This setting can interfere with the ability for Roon Remotes to connect to the Roon Core.


After checking the firmware version on my router and making sure IGMP was enabled I found the answer to my problem, and boy am I embarrassed…

When I set my server up I disabled sleep on the machine so that it would somewhere in the last few weeks (since this has started happening) sleep got re-enabled (my best guess is that it happened during an OS upgrade, as it is not something I typically mess with. For some reason I decided to review my power settings and found system sleep set to five minutes. Glad to have found the problem but I feel stupid not having spotted it earlier.


1 Like

Hi @Stu_Farnham,

No worries at all, thanks for letting us know you resolved the issue by changing the power settings!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.