Unable to play "Roon Genre Radio" from main Roon application but works with Roon ARC

Roon Core Machine

Apple M1
8GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

M1 is connected to a Netgear switch and Telstra Router. Connected to other nodes either via Netgear Power Ethernet Adapter or Velop Mesh.

Connected Audio Devices

iPad and Chromecast

Number of Tracks in Library

12915 tracks

Description of Issue

Like most people that use Roon, I like exploring music and sometimes I like to explore a Genre where I don’t have any tracks or albums in my library using Roon Genre Radio. If I don’t have any tracks or albums I hit an issue that is described in the following post

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/genre-play-now-button-not-working/184421

To work around this, I either just add an album (which I would prefer not to do if I’m just browsing/educating) OR hit “Start Radio” for a given artist.

The difference with this post vs the one listed above is that I’ve observed that Roon ARC doesn’t require an album or track to be added in order to use “Roon Genre Radio” The exact same Genre where the Play Now and Genre Radio is disabled in the main roon app works fine in Roon ARC. e.g. ClubJazz on the main app, Play now is disabled and drop down doesn’t work. Same Genre in Roon ARC “Start Radio” in on the main page of the Genre and works.

I’d really love to be able to browse Genres without committing to a given album just to explore. Is there any way that the main Roon App can work like Roon ARC at least as far as Genre Radio?

Thanks!

Paul

1 Like

Hi there Roon support team. Would appreciate a reply here please.

1. While I appreciate that it’s probably unlikely, looking to the Roon support team to see if there is a way to make the current build of Roon Remote behave like Roon ARC as it pertains to playing Genre Radio on genres where no album or track has been added to a users library.
  2. If the answer to the above is no and that it currently “works as coded”, wondering if an enhancement could be considered to make Roon Remote consistent with Roon ARC on how Genre Radio works in this area (ideally aligning towards Roon ARC’s behaviour which in my opinion is more desireable)

Thanks so much

Paul

Hi @Paul_Hodge,

Thank you for your patience. We’ve documented the reported error with Genre radio in Roon and have a ticket in with development to resolve the issue. There should be a fix contained in an upcoming release of Roon - we’ll keep this thread open in the meantime.

Hi there Connor,

Appreciate the reply and acknowledgement of the issue. Looking forward to a fix!

Just reaching out @connor to see if there is a target release for a fix yet? Thanks!

Hi @Paul_Hodge,

This fix was released on the backend in mid-January. Please create a new topic thread if you experience a regression of this problem and the team will investigate promptly.