Unable to stream from Cocktail Audio X30

I have an HP laptop running my Roon core. I have a Cocktail Audio X30 that I want to be able to stream from (FLAC files), but I am unable to add a network share without an “unexpected error”… The X30 is connected directly to my wireless router (Fios). It shows in Roon as an Airplay device and Roon will play through it. Samba Server and Shareplay (Airplay) are turned on in the X30. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jeff

First a comment about what you are trying to do. The RoonServer aka Core processes all audio first. So, if the music in on the X30, then it will be streamed from the X30 to the HP laptop, processed and then streamed back to the X30. If there is a wireless hop anywhere along this path, it can cause playback issues as the wireless hops is over-saturated.

1 Like

Maybe

Hi @Jeff_Fielding,

As @Rugby mentioned, if you are using the X30 as both a network share and as an output device, you might run into some issues with the amount of hops you’re doing since the processing happens on the Core.

I have seen other reports that there were issues when using this kind of configuration, but you can give it a try to see how it holds up on your end.

I would check the firewall on Roon, Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.