UnexpectedError when attempting to connect Synology NAS to ROCK

Hi!
Going all in with Roon I just bought a NUC i7 and installed ROCK. Everything went smooth and using Tidal is working great.
But trying to add my Synology DS118 NAS is causing problems. I keep getting an UnexpectedError no matter what I try. I have read through all of the posts I can find where different settings has to be checked - but nothing works.
I can connect to the NAS directly from either Windows or Mac and browse the music folder without any problems. I can ping it and get a reply. I also tried adding the NAS using my old Roon set-up but I get the same UnexpectedError. I have even reset (formatted and reinstalled) the NAS but still no luck.
I am including screenshots of the settings of my NAS in the hope that someone has the solution or suggestions to what to try. Any help is much appreciated.

Error message: I get the same error no matter if I use smb: or backslash \

I have tried all the combinations possible with and without the name of the NAS, folder name, with and without WORKGROUP etc. And doublechecked the username and password.

Shared Folder settings: No encryption selected

File Services settings: SMB enabled, AFP & NFS disabled

Network settings: I have tried both automatic or manual configuration

Does the user account have the permissions for the /music folder ?

My minimum SMB protocol is SMB 1; yours is SMB2. Is the only thing I can see diffferent.

Doesn’t ROCK require SMB1? That could be the issue here.

Thanks for your reply!

The account has permissions and I can browse folder when I connect through Windows or Mac using the same credentials.

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried setting the SMB protocol to SMB 1 but I still cannot connect to the NAS.

I discovered that if I only use the IP-address for the NAS “\192.168.1.3” I get a “Invalid network path” error message instantly.

But as soon as I add something after the IP-address I get “UnexpectedError”. There is no difference whether I put the name of the actual folder or something else - I still get the “UnexpectedError” after 25 seconds with a box displaying “Adding…”.

It’s the same whether I fill in username and password or leave the fields blank. When I connect to the NAS directly from Windows or Mac I am prompted for username and password.

Just add the music to your last example. It seems to require a sub directory as well as the IP on add.

So

\\192.168.1.3\Music

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried adding «\Music» at the end but it does not work. It does seem like it is trying But after 25 seconds I get the «UnexpectedError» again.

Ah, only have the network share location ,leave everything else like username etc blank

I have tried that as well - no luck.

I can put whatever I want after the IP-address but I still get the «UnexpectedError» after 25 seconds.

From FAQ: I’m having trouble setting up Roon with my NAS:

Remove any special characters from the share’s password and try again

This seems to be the last remaining tip from the FAQ above.

ROCK should support SMB v2 (as a server):

AFAIK it also supports SMB v2 as client. No need for the obsolete SMB v1.

What if you take “WORKGROUP” out ?

Thanks for your reply!

I only have letters and numbers in my pw - no special characters.

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried with and without WORKGROUP but it does not work.

Isn’t the right Samba share “smb://192.168.1.3/Music”?

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried using SMB as well as IP address but no luck.

Strange… I also have my Synology NAS as music share for Roon and it works fine.
I have to check with my own configuration at home. Will take about 8 hours though, as I’m at work right now.

That would be great! This is driving me slightly mad :upside_down_face:

It have a feeling that is is some kind of problem in the first “handshake” between Roon and the NAS.