Upgrade Options from Modi 2 DAC

I am looking for a Roon Ready DAC upgrade, budget is 1K.
A friend allowed me to use the Modi 2 to help me get Roon up and running in my updated listening area (5.1) Roon finds it promptly with no jitter, etc.

After a few weeks of using the Modi 2, I feel the Legacy’s need more.

Setup:

Ethernet > (core)HP Envy > Yamaha CX A5100 Preamp> Schiit Modi 2 > McIntosh 402 Amp >Legacy Calbre Speakers.

The “Roon Ready” label is only for gear intended to take Roon RAAT network streaming directly. Is that was you are looking for, or just for a DAC to put in place of the Modi 2 in your current setup? If the latter, the Schiit Bifrost 2 is well regarded and fits your budget.

1 Like

I’m unclear how the Schiit is currently plumbed in - could you clarify?

1 Like

@Fernando_Pereira I am looking to put a DAC in Modi’s current location. I will look at Bifrost.
@AndyR the path to the Modi: USB out from HP > Modi >RCA cables in > Yamaha> Mac balanced cables > Legacy Speakers.
Thank you

I might be misunderstanding the Yamaha, but I suspect it may be digitising its analogue inputs, applying any processing, and then feeding the result through its own DACs. If so, and you want (need?) to retain the Yamaha, you might be better off trying to get a digital signal into it from the HP. Mini toslink should work if the HP has one buried in its headphone jack; or possibly hdmi if Roon recognises it as an output you can enable.

2 Likes

I think that’s probably right. The box is one big DSP processor. But if you put it in “Pure Direct” mode, maybe it routes the signal directly.

I saw that - but I think it describes it as ‘minimal’ processing. I think you’d have to read all 183 pages to be sure!

I think even if you read all 183 pages, you still won’t be sure. There’s also a “straight” mode which turns off “sound effect processing”.

Aye. A block diagram would help. But there isn’t one. Supports airplay though. That should work too, although not perhaps optimal.

@AndyR I did not give the correct path.

Correct path

HP >USB A to B> Modi 2> Yamaha

I am not sure but I think it bypasses the internal DAC?

Got it - that’s what confused me in the first place.

You could be right - but if so Yamaha will have had to implement an analogue volume control, which seems unlikely.

Is the Yamaha also part of a multichannel system?

In the short term, I’d try an hdmi cable between the HP and the Yamaha. It’s not something I’ve tried, but I think that would also allow you to play surround from Roon as well as two channel. And it’s cheaper than a new DAC.

In the longer term, I think you need to work out where you are going with the system. A key consideration is whether you will keep the HP as your Roon core; another whether you want to use network-connected Roon Ready endpoints, which would allow you to move the core computer out of the way too.

The answer to your original question - can I upgrade the DAC - is yes. Is it the best thing to do? Depends on context.

Edit - having re-read your original post, I see that you are using 5.1. I think that hdmi straight into the Yamaha is actually likely the best option, even if you swap out the HP later.

@AndyR
Edit - having re-read your original post, I see that you are using 5.1. I think that hdmi straight into the Yamaha is actually likely the best option, even if you swap out the HP later.

I have HDMI into Yamaha as video?

It works as an audio carrier too, and I know others on the forum use Room this way. Unfortunately I’m not one of them, so can only suggest you try it. I don’t think you can break anything!

Thank you @AndyR I found the audio to be degraded and the video acceptable.
The DAC audio is much better. I found this about HDMI. I will look more into HDMI and 5.1 audio.