Upgraded Mojave - Now Roon can’t find it’s database

Upgraded MacOS to 10.14 Mojave.
Now Roon will not work and can’t find it’s database.

A post was split to a new topic: After upgrading to Mojave audio zone are not available in Roon

Hey @PETER_CARTER,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Just to clarify, are you receiving any errors when you open up Roon on the Mac? Or are you trying to connect with a remote but are unable to?

Thanks!

Ok nothing loads. message is:“There was an issue loading your database” and refers me to support.

This comes up on my Mac pro which I am using as Roon Core.

I have just upgraded the software to MacOS Mojave 10.14 all was working fine before then.

the network is all cabled and is basically Linn Klimax controlled with iPads.
But that would be icing on the cake it will not do anything even load for me to attempt to say reload the music. help with the new macOS would be appreciated

Thanks for the info, @PETER_CARTER, and sorry for the troubles here.

So we can take a closer look at what you’re experiencing, are you able to access your database and zip up the Logs folder for us?

If you can zip up that folder and send us a Dropbox link, we can get a sense of what’s gone wrong here. If you can’t access the database, or if you don’t have anywhere to upload the Zip file, just let us know. We’ll walk you through the next steps here so we can figure out what’s gone wrong.

Thanks in advance for your patience, and sorry again for the trouble here.

I can’t start Roon . The program is in my applications folder but it goes straight into the error message i described if I click on it . Without being in it how can I get the logs?

Hey @PETER_CARTER,

You don’t need to access the Roon application to do this. The link I shared above has instructions for accessing your Roon database via Finder on the Mac. You can find the logs folder in the Roon database folder.

Thanks,
Dylan

Ok thanks i didn’t spot the link sorry.I have the logs file on my desktop can’t I email it to you?-emails seem to get bounced . i don’t know how to zip a file .

Help

Thanks

Hey @PETER_CARTER,

You can zip up the entire album folder by following these instructions and then rename the zip file to include your user name. Then, instead of using Dropbox or email, head over to our file uploader and log in using "alpha" (no quotes) for both user name and password.

Thanks,
Dylan

Ok not all of that was ok. In trying to load the Zip program it tried to change safari to opera. It tried to load some security software and charge me for it.It is still sending me ransom ware type notes. you might be more careful on this.Now the files weer not that big so dropped them in your box unzipped and as far as know that went through ok.Back to you.Thanks Peter

I have also found some advice on the forum which i have followed to delete roon from the privacy and then re-submit it from the applications folder to allow the computer to use roon to control it.

same result sorry still can’t use Roon. Help.

Hi Dylan its 10pm here thinking of going to bed but kind of waiting for a reply-no pressure but if that is not going to happen until tomorrow I’ll go to bed.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the update here @PETER_CARTER!

I’m going to pass the logs that you sent over to the technical team for review. I’ll be sure to update you ASAP when I receive their feedback.

It will take the team some time to review, so you’re definitely okay to call it a night and we can pick this back up tomorrow.

If you’d like to use Roon while our technical staff are reviewing the logs, the procedure below will allow you to run with a fresh database for the time being.

• Shut down your Roon Core
  • Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  • Rename the entire Roon (or RoonServer) folder to roon_old
  • Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install
  • Let us know if you see this database error again
1 Like

Thanks Dylan finish the red wine and off to bed. hopefully resolve the issues tomorrow.
Thanks for the feedback, cheers,

Peter

Hey @PETER_CARTER,

Thank you again for your patience while our technical team has been looking into this issue for you.

I spoke with our team today regarding their evaluation of the logs from your install. Sometimes, errors like the one you saw can be spurious, but unfortunately in this case they are seeing signs of low level corruption in your database.

This type of error is extremely rare for us and not one that we see often. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly.

We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

What’s Next?

If you’ve been making regular backups, my advice would be to install Roon fresh on your Core machine, and roll back to one of your backups. If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you do not have any backups, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database.

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

It seemed like a big job. so put it off for a while.So I deleted the old file and down loaded a clean copy (?) and exactly the same thing has happened. So i still do not have a working Roon. Help properly please.

Peter

Hey @PETER_CARTER,

Just to confirm, what you did here was uninstall and reinstall Roon, correct?

For starting fresh, you’ll also need to have a new database. This can be done by following the steps outlined below:

• Shut down your Roon Core
  • Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  • Rename the entire Roon (or RoonServer) folder to roon_old
  • Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install

Thanks!