Uptone EtherREGEN

Thought this thread was about the EtherREGEN??

It is. Unless something has changed at UpTone then they are still developing product without any instrumentation. Obviously I have my reservations. But if your system does perform better without an active Ethernet connection then it’s worth a try.

My system uses an Intel NIC. Check out this YT video where I put a 3 meter WW Starlight up against 315 foot of Berktek CAT5e.

2 Likes

Mark, I don’t mitigate anything anyone else does. I stated fact, what others claim is down to them. The fix for the issue was identified and customers informed. I am OK with that. Hopefully I’ll be able to talk about the newest product when I get it. And they are using instrumentation in the hands of John Swenson. There will be a white paper too which I will read with interest.

Here I was thinking customers would have heard all the induced noise with their genetic gifts.

I’m sure one will make it’s way onto a bench and with an Audio Precision analyzer by a third party.

1 Like

I look forward to it.

But Mark, Roon does not work the way you would need it to for your premise to have any validity in the real world. Roon does not buffer huge amounts of the song which means the Ethernet interface is constantly sending/receiving data. The noise that affects the data being sent affects the processing of it as the DAC receives it. You see DACs are real time devices. They don’t buffer much of the data.

Unless you plug bare wires into your ears and receive electrical shocks or impulses, we all hear with our ear drums. I don’t care the source of the “noise,” if my ears can’t detect it and send a signal down my 8th nerve to my brain, I can’t hear it and it doesn’t matter to me.

Again, if you can’t hear some buzzing, humming, ringing, chirping, stuttering, etc. This device will do nothing. I put this the same place I put $1,900 8 foot wire pairs, a foolish waste of money. But, have at it. It’s your money.

Roon still buffers and doesn’t play in real time. The audio you are hearing is being played out of buffer. Not off the wire like traditional analog systems.

SoTA DAC’s receive asynch data and apply their own clock to it. DAC’s certainly play out of buffer. It’s the one the playback application instructs the OS to setup. Whether that is a consumer or embedded OS. Current Linn products, from what I’ve been told, can now buffer minutes of audio.

By the time the data has made it’s way onto the USB side of things it’s went through many clock domain boundaries. There are so many clocks between the Ethernet port and either USB or I2S. We are talking backplane bus, RAM, CPU, USB. All with their own clocking and buffers to mitigate clocking differences.

Again, I can take JRiver or Tidal and start play back and pull the cable and entire songs play. Some how the DAC still gets what it needs to do it’s job without the network in the equation.

Not sure why Roon is constantly paging for cache op and pop when it is front ending for services like Tidal. Maybe a dev can chime in as I’m sure there are good reasons, maybe to do with API.

1 Like

I enjoyed your video and the summation. I use Blue Jeans Cable Cat6, and ordered a few Pangeas (and a couple of AQ Cinnamons I bought used) I don’t think I could tell a difference between them.

1 Like

Here’s a manufacturer’s product page offering their oscillator chips which includes a brief explanation of the audible benefit to reduced jitter and phase noise. It has nothing to do with buzzing, humming, ringing, chirping or stuttering:
https://www.ndk.com/en/ad/2013/001/index.html

**(After topic closed) I would like to get a clue about this, and wonder if the kind of problems described on the NDK webpage above manifest in, or are transmitted by, network equipment -or only plague the DAC. Maybe a civil exchange of information can happen here in the future.

1 Like

** Not sure why the thread was closed other than Thyname throwing a tantrum. The last round of posts were on topic as it relates to reclocking Ethernet with a really expensive 5 port switch. **

You need to read the page you linked to more closely. They are speaking specifically to the clock used on the DAC to apply timing to the asynch data coming over the bus (usually USB).

The 125Mhz clock on the Ethernet link has nothing to do with the down stream clocks. Those are all solved with clock domain boundaries (aka buffers):

4 Likes

Mass-produced crystal oscillators with low phase noise for master clocks that enable faithful sound reproduction. Found in all digital audio equipment … and backed by measurements. Indeed you’ll see many real-life examples of Figure 2 on Audio Science Review (jitter noise and spectrum.) As @Mark_Brown states, this is a DAC measurement.

2 Likes

Yep, Mark is 100% right on this one. The page you are referring to is talking about the clock at the DAC which has by far nothing to do with what the ethernet regen is supposed to “fix”

I’m afraid most people here haven’t got a clue what they are actually talking about and are just repeating a lot of marketing talk from various vendors. Not many people with any “real” knowledge around here. Not meaning to bash the ethernet regen or Uptone or anyone else here but it makes any discussion pretty meaningless imho.

5 Likes

They might have built a well-designed product in good faith even if based on an incorrect premise. Or it may be that it has an effect but the magnitude of the effect is insignificant (that is, inaudible) in the real world. I don’t claim to know either way.

1 Like

In view of continued interest in the topic Mods have re-opened the thread. People can have different views about the efficacy of various audio solutions. Try to keep the conversation about the ideas or equipment, rather than the people.

2 Likes

Well that didn’t last long. What part of don’t talk about other people is so hard to understand ?

7 Likes

I will reserve my comments for when I have tested the product in my setup with my ears.

3 Likes