Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2023]

Hi Jussi
I tried to boot your hqplayer-embedded-4.35.0-x64ravenna.7z image for my Up^2 for NAA->Ravenna bridge but unsuccessful.
To disable the DHCP on both RJ45 ports and assign link-local address to one of the port for Ravenna I edited /etc/systemd/network/wired.network but always gave me DHCP address. And even use the DHCP address but the Ravenna daemon always inactive… please advise.

Guapo

Just out of interest, without using bridging (temporarily - I understand you do want this for permanent use) does it work?

Tried but Ravenna daemon couldn’t start…

If Ravenna daemon up and running you’ll see such messages:

1 Like

Hi Jussi
After some study with a friend I figured out it’s the systemd/networkd setting issue and solved. Now the NAA → Ravenna is working.
Just curious I checked your 4.35-Ravenna edition, the Advanced page didn’t show PTP lock status?

Here’s my own build:

Any clue?

No idea, I never really cared about that page. I never figured out what the page is supposed to be useful for. I just assign unicast streams in Aneman and that’s it.

Hi Jussi
I thought if PTP clock info is not available, means the audio stream output won’t have ref clock. The sink would guess everything.
For example, if you have good clock lock status, the stream URL / media header would show like this:

That would make both side (source and sink) happy, cuz they all have a ref clock to deal audio stream.

If there’s no lock info, the URL / media header would miss that part:

If ref clock field is blank we prob will see unstable audio stream. I boot your 4.35 RAV edition as NAA in fact I did meet some skipping when playback immersive DXD contents…

Works consistently? No unexpected surprises or behaviours?

Can work but inconsistent. I ran the HQPe4 RAV edition on my new Fitlet3. Unicast blue dots intermittently changed to orange dots when such kind of messages popping out:

So I went back to my own build NAA → RAV bridge.

1 Like

Not sure why you want to fix Apple Music at 44.1 kHz because it can support up to 192/24?

Check out the date of what you quoted and the date Apple Music Hi-Res was released
:wink:

The timeline of events will reveal all.

And if you read later posts you will see how I feed Apple Music Hi-Res bitperfectly into HQPlayer.

@jussi_laako is HQP OS Ravenna (NAA part) working fine, no issues, with your Hapi ?

Sink (DAC) runs (or at least should) from it’s internal clock, not from PLL of PTP. Which I see as how it should work.

Source should follow the DAC’s clock.

Are you on Intel NIC or something else? I don’t get those anymore on my NUC. At one point I tried to ask Merging about such, but never got an answer. And the included RAVENNA software is what they provided to me.

But for now, I won’t be doing RAVENNA builds of HQPlayer OS v5 anymore. I just stick to their Windows driver and HQPlayer Desktop on Windows 11 when I want to use RAVENNA.

1 Like

AES67 standard requires ref clock for RTP streams. It described in paragraph 8.2 of AES67-2018 doc:

“The ts-refclk attribute specifies the network clock reference used by the stream… under this standard, signaling for RTP streams referenced to IEEE 1588-2008 shall indicate both GMID and PTP domain.”

Although RFC 7273 allows sender using their own clock (local clock) for the streams but once channel count increases the ts-refclk attribute will play the big role.

The new Fitlet3’s SFP module uses Intel i210 controller which support IEEE 1588 natively so does igb driver.

Ahhh… that’s a bad news. :melting_face: My little wish is could you keep maintaining networkaudiod on Focal? Until Merging update their binary executable using most current lib the best NAA → RAV platform would be Focal…

1 Like

Should be doable since I have Focal on a virtual machine.

Is their driver the reason you have extra network hop with a NAA instead of going straight from HQPlayer to RAVENNA?

1 Like

Yes.
So far the MergingRavennaALSA.ko can be compiled on Focal (up to 5.15) without source code modification and also Focal still uses the older libssl3 that can let me build libcurl specifically for running the Merging_RAVENNA_Daemon.
I tried to build Ravenna driver on Jammy but unfortunately even I could successfully build the MergingRavennaALSA.ko but the Merging_RAVENNA_Daemon just failed to start because Jammy packed with incompatible (newer) version of libssl3… :melting_face:

1 Like

Hey @Chunhao_Lee just curious, why not run macOS NAA for this ?

Since the Mac will have the Merging VAD driver installed.

Saves having to run an old Linux - less power consumption too :grin: (assuming Mac is already running)

What is the current best method to get Youtube video or any pc sound through the HQP/dac except playing direct to dac from HQP Desktop server running W11 in bedroom closet.

Currently running Red as streamer via ethernet usb out to dac in living room controlled by my old pc Roon Core on W10.

On Windows, RME HDSPe AIO card.

1 Like

Depends what this “any PC sound” includes for your use?

If its all lossy sources and you don’t care about matching correct sample rates or bit perfect, then a miniDSP USBStreamer is cheap and will do the trick

On Mac there is a free software solution that I have previously used but don’t know if the same works on Windows (I don’t use Windows except for work)

Note with HQPlayer you will always get lip sync issue with video

Not a problem if its just the sound you want

So the RME card is a bit pricey.

The USBStreamer if it’s the B version, that is more doable. Since Youtube vids are lossy anyways, should be fine.

What does that chain look like or how does it work?