Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2023]

GDay DBGBB,

Happy NY

Currently I can listen to SoundCloud from IPhone Bluetooth to my kitchen DAC and speakers.

Kitchen system - Roon NUC - HQPD on Mac - RPi - DAC (that has Bluetooth)

If I wanted to run SoundCloud through HQPlayer (which is on my Mac Mini) and through to my kitchen or main system, is there a simple way to do this?

Main system - Roon NUC - HQPD on Mac - RPi - DAC (no Bluetooth option)

@jussi_laako

Hi Jussi,

I have been using Mutec MC 1.2 successfully for a few months as an input to HQP embedded. Will the Mutec 3+ usb work as well, although it does not appear under the inputs in the regular embedded edition?

Thanks.

Yep probably easiest is to get a miniDSP USBStreamer box

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

And an Airplay streamer with optical output.

An RPi with HifiBerry Digi Pro HAT (optical out) can run DietPi or RoPieee which feature Airplay emulators

Then your iPhone anywhere in the house can just Airplay (WiFi) to the Pi which feeds miniDSP (optical) which is connected to your Mac Mini via USB

HQPlayer can then output to any NAA

You can Airplay anything not just SoundCloud. Mixcloud, Spotify etc

2 Likes

Likely it would, you will just need to edit the configuration file to point to the correct audio device. Since these devices are plain simple Audio Class devices, they don’t need any specific customizations.

Thanks.

I was hoping there’d be a software way of doing this :smile:.

Something along the lines of….Soundcloud app communicating with HQP, with both stored on the Mac Mini.

No such luck!

There is but you cant simply control it from an iPhone in the kitchen, if HQP is in another room.

Whereas method I shared means audio on any iOS device can play through HQP anywhere in the house that is in WiFi range (simple Airplay)

Changing tracks easier etc

Although there is a recent-ish new feature that lets you Airplay from iOS to a Mac. I’ll have try and report back.

2 Likes

Using for example BlackHole or similar would be a solution for local Mac Mini playback. I think such should work for example with Spotify since you should be able to control Spotify playback of some computer within your local network from your mobile device.

But I’ve never used Soundcloud, so I’m not aware of details specific to that service.

1 Like

Yeah thanks Gents.

With all that is already connected, via RAAT, Ethernet, AirPlay, WiFi etc I suppose ARC has got me thinking about what’s next.

With Tidal and Spotify connect and my interest in the new Fiio M17 DAP, and how to feed everything through HQP still.

My mind is boggling😄

For any audio from iPad at the moment I have Matrix Audio X-SPDIF2 connected through the Apple USB 3 Camera Adapter which in turn is connected to Windows 11 PC with RME HDSPe AIO card running HQPlayer Desktop. This can play automatically any rate from 44.1k to 192k.

Since the adapter allows also charging, the battery on iPad is kept charged as necessary.

Of cheaper devices, I have also verified Singxer F-1 to work with the iPad.

(this is one of the easier ways to get Apple Music with automatic rate switching, through HQPlayer)

Another, but requiring a little bit of manual configuration editing is HQPlayer Embedded on Linux with RME ADI-2 Pro as input device.

Both input devices in addition to digital inputs (coaxial and optical S/PDIF plus AES/EBU) provide analog inputs through HQPlayer, in case you’d like to get a vinyl rig or similar wtih all the EQ etc.

Works with Embedded?

Any special things required to do in hqplayerd.xml ?

This is on Windows with HDSPe AIO and latest RME’s ASIO driver.

It also works on Linux, but the HDSPe driver on Linux is a bit buggy and different inputs have different rate limitations due to these bugs. IIRC, AES works up to 192k, optical up to 96k and coaxial is stuck to 44.1/48k. You need to do similar device name edit to the configuration as with ADI-2, but all the needed things are there as placeholder. It runs scriptlets to control clock settings, similar to the USBStreamer.

On Linux, the ADI-2 works perfectly though. But not on Windows for this functionality.

So the choice of suitable device depends on your OS.

Some other devices remain to be tested for this purpose. It means just buying those to check if they would work or not. Many don’t… Expensive exercise, that’s why my list for verified devices is not so long.

1 Like

The Singxer F-1 uses RME driver ?

Ahh, you mean the F-1. It is just normal XMOS based USB-to-S/PDIF output device, normal USB Audio Class. Works with the iPad just fine. Cheaper alternative to the Matrix Audio X-SPDIF2 (they now have newer X-SPDIF3 model that has added galvanic isolation to the I2S output).

1 Like

I thought you wrote that you can use it for SPDIF input device (a cheap alternative to an ADI-2 I thought).

But now I see you just use it to take iPad output into RME ADI-2 Pro

Apple M-series silicon is funny… I replaces my Roon Core/HQP mini for an M1 – when upsampling Spotify to PCM192 it does not even touch the performance cores:

(DSD256 is a different story, but it makes little sense for me to upsample to 11/12Mhz and convert to analog only for the signal to be reconverted to PCM192 by my speakers (KEF LS50 WII) and back to analog again).

2 Likes

Side question: Can you quickly guide me how to get Blackhole to work?
Close roon. Open Tidal app, select output to Blackhole (exclusive), Open HQP (screenshot for settings), close prefs for HQP, play on tidal app. But I can get no sound. I’m missing something but I do not know what.
Thanks

In HQP, you’ll need to select the proper transport:

(For Spotify, I choose 44100/2 – Tidal probably varies a bit (is there a way to lock the output to lossless 44.1kHz?)).

Then, activate/play the selected transport (double-click on the blue line – you’ll see the play counter start to run):

I have created an Apple Shortcut that loads the proper transport in HQP and starts playing, so I can prepare HQP from my phone or my watch:

4 Likes

Thanks for your time, I’ll try.

It works… Thanks thanks thanks

3 Likes

Good. Now sit back and enjoy the miracle. :smiley:

1 Like