Using Roon on two different Macs

I don’t know how to categorize this question.

I spend my time between 2 different homes in different Australian states. I have Roon installed on my Apple silicon iMac in one location, and in my other home I have an M1 Macbook Pro.

I want to be able to access my music from the Macbook as well as the iMac.

I cannot get Roon ARC to work on my Apple devices (iPhone, iPad) and I’d also like some advice as to whether there is any way I can run two separate instances of Roon?

Thanks.
Andrew

Welcome to the Roon community, @Andrew_Wilson1.

For ARC support please open a support request in #support:port-forwarding-help, and take a look in #support:port-forwarding-resources or the help centre.

ARC is intended to work with a single Roon core when you’re away from home. This could be over a 4G connection, or Wi-Fi in a second property. Whilst ARC is only available on mobile devices, these can feed an external USB DAC connected to a Hi-Fi system.

The Roon core may be installed on more than one device, but a single licence may only be used on one device at a time. Therefore, you must authorize/ deauthorize each time you switch core. Moreover, each core is independent from the other and doesn’t share the same database.

I think this is the most recent ongoing thread about this:

Older ones:

Couple of things:

1- Backing up and restoring the Roon db to another machine works fine

2- Switching main library between the two generally does not cause any issues, you can do it all the time. I have found at times one of them would get stuck refreshing metadata - just restart that instance of Roon core.

1 Like