Using Roon via an ethernet connection to an Ultra DAC

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Windows 11 PC and Meridian Ultra DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I have connected the pc and dac via a splitter to the router, they both show on the router hub network but either the PC or Roon is not picking this up?

It wont see it over the network as its not a Roon Ready or Roon testd device. It needs to be used as a DAC connected to a streamer or a PC running Roon via USB. Does it use the ID41 card in it if so then I guess it should.

When you say splitter do you mean network switch ?

Roon is in the media PC and works via USB to a Meridian Ultra DAC, the TP distributer box wired directly to the Router is connected to the media PC and the Ultra via their ethernet sockets and all are lit up. The DAC has been programmed by a dealer to receive the information. Neither the Roon App or the PC are picking up that it is there so there is nothing in the Apps audio set up(that picks everything else up in the house) is not finding it nor is the PC audio
The PC has its WiFi turned off and bothe machines show on the router hub as being connected to the ethernet system
Help

The Meridian Ultra DAC is Roon-tested, according to the company website. (Meridian Ultra DAC)
“Roon-tested” should mean that you can use it as a network-attached DAC (assuming your home network is configured properly). You also should be able to use it as a USB-attached DAC. Which connection method are you trying to use?

Also, are you really using an ethernet splitter? You’re not referring to a switch or a hub, are you? My understanding is that splitters need to be used in pairs. One splitter merges two ethernet cables coming out of the router; another splitter un-merges them at the other end (to connect two cables to the target devices). Is this what you’re trying to do? I doubt very many Roon subscribers use splitters.

Do you have more than one home network?

Never knew about splitters, thanks

Hi it is a TPLink hub with 5 ethernet sockets
The C6 link from the router hub goes into it and the DAC and the PC Windows 11 Media player.
The Hub router shows both of these on the ethernet connection and give IP addresses for both.

The Room app on the PC is not picking up the ethernet connection so it can’t supply sound

There is a USB link between the DAC that I have used for years to listen to Roon despite you not showing the Ultra DAC as a Meridian product

My Meridian dealer advised me to move to the ethernet connection as that’s what Roon expect?

Using the Roon application on the PC, have you opened Settings/Audio to try to “enable” the Roon endpoint(s) you’re trying to use? The Audio settings options should look something like my attached screenshot:

In this screenshot, my network-attached DAC shows up as “LR (Matrix)”. I’ve enabled it, and it shows in the lower right corner of the image (indicating it is the selected endpoint).

That is incorrect, IIRC.

Only Roon Ready certified devices can be connected and used via Ethernet, since their firmware must incorporate Roon’s RAAT code to work this way.

Roon tested, on the other hand, are DACs verified by Roon to work via USB.

OK … sorry about that, especially if I’m only confusing the OP more.

Well its a no show

nothing new showing in my page like that, just what was there before and my google mini speaker

Not true for a Meridian Sooloos network device (which does not use RAAT). Also not true for Squeezebox devices.

Might it be an idea to uninstall and the reinstall Room?

:grimacing:
… luckily added “IIRC”, learned something new today …
Thanks for correcting me!
:man_bowing:

1 Like

So the PC does not show up in your Settings/Audio page ? Have you installed the necessary software (Roon/RoonBridge) on the PC, and started it up? I run RoonBridge on a MacMini to support a connection like the one I think you’re trying to make. If RoonBridge were not installed, or if I had “quit” out of it, then the “Built-in Output” (and other Mac OSX) options would not have shown up in the screenshot I shared above.

I’m not a support guy, but I do know a fair bit about Meridian gear.

The ID41 network card maxes out at 96kHz. If you need native PCM sample rates higher than this or DSD (encapsulated in PCM – DoP) then you need to use the USB connection.

If USB, pull the Ethernet out of the ID41 – it’s just confusing the issue.

A screenshot of your Audio devices connected to the media PC (like Tom_K’s above) might be useful here.

I’ll Google it to see if I can download it for windows it can’t do any harm? I have downloaded and it is sitting on my desktop but won’t open?
Will it aromatically link to Roon and if so where will I find it?

You’ll need to have the Roon Core running and properly selected. After you download Roon Bridge, the installer should deposit it in your applications folder or other appropriate location, and perhaps create a link to it. On my Mac, I just click that link and it starts right up. Then the Mac becomes visible in Roon’s Settings/Audio page. At that point, you “enable” the PC/Mac. Once you enable it, you still need to select it as your active audio device in Roon. You may also need to do some troubleshooting to ensure the PC and the DAC are making the needed USB handshake.

I have a windows PC, I opened Room Audio and it wasn’t there even after a reboot

The USB is linked and working fine, my old ifi renderer needed a program to be recognised