Value of audiophile network switches

I don’t want to get involved in this, but I can’t stop myself.

@Rikkipoo, @Andrew_Stoneman, do you dispute this?

Not a snark, not piling on.

2 Likes

tactile sensation - that sounds wonderful, I wonder what it sounds like.

So many phrases are used to discuss sound I do wonder what exactly people are describing or do people just use buzz words of the moment.

Then there’s this word salad -

2 Likes

My ethernet switch is affecting my golf swing. Maybe a different toaster oven would help.

4 Likes

Excellent question.

How does one measure noise from a speaker before and after a change of equipment? What is being measured? How does one define what is noise and what is original, or what is not noise. Are there parameters that are included and everything else is excluded or are the parameters defined by exclusion and then everything else is included? What are the parameters?

What if its a reverse Heisenberg situation where your system is so noisy you can’t tell its shortcomings changes and only when you get the noise under control that you notice small changes? What if you can’t recognize the noise, you will never know its there. Kind of like being color blind, what if you are noise deaf? You may never know until you fix the noise… unless you really are noise deaf.

I agree, I guess. I’ve no axe to grind, it’s a hobby - nobody starved, nobody died

That was my point; if networks make zero difference, fine. Be happy. Be smug if that’s what you like (not aimed at you Slim_Fishguts)

But if it’s cheap to try (you may have the gear sitting around, I’ve got boxes) and you can listen for any network related changes, why not? It’s a hobby

Hear nowt? Suspicions confirmed
Hear something? Cool, another avenue of enjoyment and SQ opportunity

Two switches in my system made a difference
A ‘better’ switch in my system made a difference

Did I get ripped off? I don’t care - nobody starved, nobody died.
I’m having fun - it’s a hobby

Components, power, stands, cables, files, rooms, positioning etc etc all make a difference - I’ve spent/wasted money on all of them

Do I care? Nope, not a penny/cent wasted, zero regrets
It’s one of my hobbies and I love them all

4 Likes

This is full of basic experimental design flaws that I would not let my undergraduate students get away with. Shockingly bad. So, yes, OMFG!

2 Likes

Still waiting for the answer. I would like to get an explanation how a 30 dollar switch in a 500 dollar case + marketing makes the sound better.

4 Likes

You’re gonna be waiting till eternity for the answer to that question my friend.

3 Likes

I stream some video and yes, it did improve the picture (and sound). Sorry to defy your laws.

1 Like

Evidence - any evidence?

1 Like

You don’t actually want an answer. Switches make a significant audible difference, simples.

Sure come by and have a look? Why so obsessed by evidence, it’s in front of your eyes, literally.

So, you are actually saying that putting a 30 dollar switch into a new case and pricing 500 dollars for it makes it sound better?

1 Like

We should try this experiment with someone and document the response… :slight_smile: We might be surprised…

It could be even easier. You should have some buffer in the setup. Just unplug the network cable during play and and see if the sound changes in what’s being played back from the buffer. If it doesn’t, the switch isn’t doing anything.
Of course, you could possibly notice the switch is making the SQ worse…

Recording a user chosen music selection with a microphone before and after the change, not changing anything besides said enhancements, substracting one from the other and seeing the difference.

Same procedure with a digital zero signal.

Listening to the difference signal at an identical volume level will reveal it’s content.

One could also substract the original file from it’s version after the introduced enhancements in the digital domain, and listen to the effect.

If these tests don’t exhibit an appreciable result, there’s nothing gained by said enhancements.

Then the music chosen just sounds like noise, or the noise is so low as to be buried by ambient and thermal noise.

Now you’ve got to admit, that that’s pure nonsense.
Deafness is not related to the type of acoustic stimulus -music or noise- but to spectral and amplitude content.

Why is it, that partisans of certain beliefs in music reproduction mostly resent to ridicule a civilised discourse.

1 Like

Well, that’s the thing, they aren’t ‘my’ laws. This isn’t a case of he said, she said, my laws are better than your laws. They are ‘the’ laws. What you have is an opinion that flies in the face of those laws. As such, and as was mentioned earlier, the burden of proof is firmly in your camp, i.e. evidence is needed because rhetoric and opinion won’t cut it.

5 Likes

Pleased you’re so keen on my opinion, but sorry to disappoint - I’ve no idea

I’ve never even seen one

A post was split to a new topic: Dubious badge engineering activities