Value of audiophile network switches

No, the point being that our expectation and cognitive biases affect what we ‘hear’. Because the auditory information our ears capture is then processed by our brain and our preconceived notions of what we think we should hear become our reality.

2 Likes

In terms of physical reality, no, it doesn’t exist. If a truly sensitive measuring device can’t detect it, then neither can my ears, nor yours. That you, or anyone else can ‘hear’ a difference is not being disputed, it’s the source of that difference that’s at stake. We’ve had this discussion on several different occasions, yet you still seem unwilling to accept that expectation/cognitive bias might well play a part.

3 Likes

Barrowboy doesn’t believe in cognitive or expectation bias, only what he “hears”.

2 Likes

I’m perfectly aware and understand bias. It may well play some part. To presume that that is all it is is a little simplistic. The bias arguments are also trotted out as a form of denial.

1 Like

Not really. The point that people are making is that ears can’t possibly hear something that a massively more sensitive listening device fails to detect. That simply doesn’t make any sense. So yes, cognitive/expectation bias is a much simpler explanation, but that doesn’t mean that it’s simplistic.

No one is using bias arguments as a form of denial. If you can’t measure differences using equipment that reaches far beyond the limitations of human hearing, then you can’t hear those differences. Any subjective claimed differences in such circumstances are borne from cognitive or expectation biases.

3 Likes

Arguments and facts will not convince, no matter what.
The boy is happy to spend $$$ on this device, the manufacturer is laughing its pants off, many have shown their knowledge about facts, technology and engineering insights… everybody happy!

So have you read the whitepaper Power Demystified? There clearly is proof with measurements etc.
I think it very much undermines arguments when people like in this thread are against nearly everything that is not mainstream.

It‘s history repeating all the time. Just not long ago it was taken for granted that USB cables just transfer bit perfect data and there can’t be any impact on DAC etc resulting in sonic differences.
Sometimes the knowledge of today is the fallacy of tomorrow :wink:

I still take this for granted given the DAC design and implementation is competent. The cable needs to be to spec as well, nothing fancy.

Yes and it’s a very misleading document. There’s proof that there is noise on the mains, and proof that some devices can reduce the noise on the mains.

The paper doesn’t specify exactly what was measured or how it was measured. They only show ‘difference files’ and use woolly descriptions about the possible effect on audio. It’s all smoke and mirrors to advertise their products in a pseudo-scientific setting.

Well designed audio equipment has a PSSR 'Power Supply Rejection Ratio" of >100dB to prevent mains noise finding its way into the audio path. In respect of well designed equipment, the products advertised will not produce audible benefits.

An expensive solution to another non-existent problem.

1 Like

Hahaha and it’s only 100Mbps! :rofl:

This is a luxury item and data likes to take its time. Have you never thought the vocals sounded slightly breathy and rushed?

4 Likes

Great video.

There are things our ears can definitely hear that, at present, can not be measured. I think at some time in the future they will be able to be measured, after we learn what it is that actually needs to be measure, then built the tools to do it.

2 Likes

$35 / Mbps isn’t that much, is it??

I think this overplays the sensitivity of the measuring instrument, the ear. Measurement instruments that outperform our ears are already available and give objective answers. Its the subjective and non-deterministic processing unit attached to the ears that causes problems.

1 Like

What would those things be, pray tell?

Examples, please.

Never mind, I know. Pretend things.

2 Likes

Nagging maybe?

1 Like

Only 165 times more expensive than my 10Gbps fibre enabled switch!

I don’t want to pile on, but I’d also be interested in whether you can give any examples.