Value of audiophile network switches

Yes, the fact you did not pay for it and therefore did not have any expectations of any difference made it sound identically to the cheap switch. This phenemon is pretty well documented in psychologie. And offcoarse your system is not revealing enough, your ears aren’t good enough and you don’t know what to listen for :wink:

5 Likes

Oh my,

You have no idea what you’re missing.

Oh dear, looks like those amateurs at Innuos don’t understand Network traffic and HiFi, they made their own switch. As we all know, it doesn’t make any difference right?
(I’m being ironic mods, is irony a flagging offence?).

Presumably they’ve send one for proper measurement by you know who…

Actually, I believe you’re being sarcastic rather than ironic.

1 Like

Yes, you are probably correct, I’m not well educated (but I try my best).

Do Audiophile Network Switches Make a Difference?

Scientific review here…

6 Likes

And there is also a white paper
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0660/6121/files/UpTone-J.Swenson_EtherREGEN_white_paper.pdf?v=1583429386)

@Markus_Hubner
I’m not actually entering into this conversation, I merely thought I’d post that video that appeared in my feed & is new for those that are interested. The topic doesn’t overly interest me one way or the other. However, I’ll say it seems to me it was a neutral & ‘scientific’ test.

By contrast, the paper was commissioned by the manufactuer, so even if I wanted to read it, I’d take what was written with a grain of salt. Further, I think much of what was written has been debunked, if that’s the paper I’m thinking it is.

Again, neither here nor there to me, people can do as they please.

Cheers :slight_smile:

A white paper is nothing more than an advertisement that is preteding to not be an advertisement…

Amir (ASR) is highly respected, however audiophiles universally dislike him because of his objectively scientific approach.

He proves there’s no measurable difference, yet audiophiles argue that he’s talking nonsense because they can hear the difference!

What would you trust? Someone’s opinion, or the objective measurements down to -160dB of a $28,000 audio analyser?

4 Likes

That’s a good way of putting it, that probably works for most people … right up until the point their own ears start telling them something different. At that point - because “I hear a difference, QED there is a difference” - common sense goes out the window.

1 Like

Ha well you might agree that an advertisement in a newspaper or on a website is different than that. It’s not just saying „buy it - it will be amazing“ rather than explaining what the idea is behind a product and its approach.

I admit that this could have been done more thoroughly and along with further measurements.
But this topic is obviously far more complex and sensitive as it may appear at the first glance. Which is actually often the case when approaching a new field. It’s the same for example with power / power supply. There is another one at https://www.audioquest.com/resource/1138/Power-Demystified-whitepaper-8-23-18.pdf which provides great insights.

I absolutely appreciate the commitment of the community to warn others about obvious rip-offs (which there are many in the hifi industry) and I am sure there are also some in the „audiophile switch“ category. But in the case of the Etherregen I have to say it really provides some noticeable improvement (btw have been successfully been doing in a blindest as I was very skeptical at the beginning to). So it seems there is a lot more to explore and I am happy to see this evolving and sidelined with further investigations.

1 Like

And something that Amir addresses at the end of his (very good) video. It’s not our ears, it’s our brain wot does it…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t trust a word that was published by Audioquest quite frankly. I read Garth Powell’s patents for one of their products and the design frightened me from a purely electrical safety perspective. You don’t go sticking big inductors in circuit protective conductors (earth/ground wires). Any half competent design engineer designs an electronic product to be immune to mains noise. These products are only a solution to badly designed equipment. In Europe including the UK (we’ve only just left), electrical appliances have to be designed to operate on anything from 207V to 253V AC. In reality, that’s not hard to do. Surge protectors, I kind of get, but these days the proper way to install a surge protector is with a great big unit that sits in your consumer unit on the incoming supply.

2 Likes

Oh boy, owners of expensive switches everywhere will now be fretting over whether to void their warranty now or wait until its expired to sticker the contents of their pretty little boxes.
Panini must be kicking themselves.

Well from what I realized Garth Powell is one the most acclaimed people in the industry - ranging back to Furman where he developed some innovative stuff. But maybe your patents are even more impressive and nobody knows?

Acclaimed by whom, though? The hifi publication copy writers who wax lyrical about products in order to maintain their advertising revenue?

It’s easy to patent something if it’s a little different from what everyone else is doing and you can afford the patent process.

The patent I was referring to was a mains isolation transformer design used in one of Audioquest’s products. It basically looks like a safety isolating transformer, but it includes a honking great inductor in the cetre-tappped and grounded earth - the earth to which your equipment’s metallic chassis is connected.

Electrical installations seek to maintain the lowest possible earth loop impedance to avoid unsafe potential differences arising in earth fault conditions. Do you know what a huge inductor does when you subject it to a huge current in fault conditions, then interrupt that current when a fuse fails? It generates an enormous back EMF high enough to cause an arc to occur to enable the stored energy in the inductor to be dumped.

It’s basically the principle by which an electric fence operates…

3 Likes

Saw this new switch for a measly $3500US.

https://innuos.com/phoenixnet/

My Netgear is serving me well, so I won’t even think about trying it out.

1 Like

An explanation that is probably wasted on it’s intended audience.

1 Like

But the innuos is looking great, better than my Cisco and MikroTik stuff and your Netgear :wink:
That is worth something i guess…

Your point being that a difference can be heard but because it’s not captured by Amir’s measurements, it doesn’t exist. To believe what your hear is contrary to common sense.