Value of audiophile network switches

… if the OP had taken a few minutes to google the topic he would have seen this thread would quickly deteriorate into the same quagmire that all of these ethernet switch threads deteriorate into, and there are plenty of them

no matter which side you are on, do you really have nothing better to do than go on and on and on about this topic again and again and again ?

Roon should ban them for the waste of time that they are… Now I’m mad at myself for wasting 2 minutes of my life on it :rage:

2 Likes

As a systems engineer designing datacenters this made my spill my coffee… :smiley: :smiley: I have to agree that I have NEVER heard that either.

3 Likes

This. l’ve said the same thing myself in a similar type thread. But arguing for pages and pages again and again is completely futile. Audiophools gonna be audiophools.

7 Likes

How patronising. All you need to do is listen. Easy.

Listening to a switch is like licking a pizza truck to check how tasty the pizza is. Easy.

4 Likes

Why do so many audiophiles seek support for their opinion that the (expensive) hardware is an essential condition for enjoying music? Why don’t they trust their own ears anymore and watch music reproduction devices rather than listen.

Each sensory perception is individually and subjectively different (look, but you don’t see what I see, listen, you don’t hear what I hear) which has long been known in neuroscience. These perception differences are many times greater than the subtle sometimes barely measurable physical differences caused by a component in the reproduction chain of music.

Moreover, hearing damage in the general population has increased worryingly, even causing tinnitus at a young age.It would be instructive if audiophiles would first know their own audiogram (or better still an automated OtoAcoustic Emission test) to know if the investment in expensive audio equipment makes sense.

Beautiful technique can be a delight to the eye of technique lovers, but is of secondary importance to musicians. After all, believers and non-believers will continue to populate discussion forums with anecdotal data that they do not have to or cannot prove.

Enjoy the music

2 Likes

What do you think of this?

by English Electric

MAP Pricing (Guaranteed lowest advertised price)

Frequent Flyer Program does not apply.

$595.00

Quantity

Add to Cart

Why 8Switch?

In the world of streaming music, there is a belief that digital signals by their nature are immune to the failings of analogue transmission – but it’s not that simple – and even the most hardened digital sceptic may be surprised at what can be achieved with a high specification Ethernet switch.

Listening to streamed music is not just about measurements and numbers. While both elements have important roles during product design and development, the real test for music lovers is how it sounds…

The 8switch by English Electric (a Chord Company brand), is an 8 port GbE Ethernet switch modified and upgraded to our specific requirements for high-performance music streaming networks.

What’s inside?

Eight audio grade 100/1000 Base-T gigabit Ethernet ports make it possible to connect even the most demanding streaming setups. Significant (ie. audible) improvements can be experienced in music playback via streaming services or music stored on a NAS.

The 8switch features low and high electrical noise isolation, reducing data issues that can often be apparent during the playback of high-resolution material.

Core technologies

Powered by a customised TCXO (Temperature Compensation Crystal Oscillator), accuracy is 0.1ppm – far higher than normal crystals and higher than a normal TCXO, allowing the 8Switch to generate higher accuracy network signals, which in turn helps provide more stable music data transmission.

The power supply and clock generation circuits each have two electrical noise isolation circuits which ensure stable network signals. An EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) absorber helps to further reduce the noise from the digital circuit.

Compare the increased performance and jitter measurement (90% less!) of the 8switch compared to that of a general network switch.

Casing & Power Supply

The machined aluminium enclosure offers excellent protection from both acoustic and electrical noise.

The minimal LED display on the front panel includes power, alarm and the link status/speed for each of the 8 ports.

The medical-grade power adaptor has been designed to reduce electrical noise from AC power and prevent mains quality issues from affecting the network signals. It also boasts high power efficiency, a no-load power consumption < 0.075W and protection from short circuit, overload and over-voltage.

Switches require high speed power supplies so we could not opt for a linear power source due to their speed limitations. We set about improving the power signal by using an extremely high-quality wall supply. This clean supply permits an optimum quality network signal, driven by high-accuracy TCXO clock technology.

The above information is from the manufacturer.
Have a question? Connect with our Audio Gurus at 800-328-9973 or 215-862-4870 or Send email or use Contact form. You can also take advantage of our system matching expertise with a Free System Consultation.

![English Electric 8Switch] 8switch. (https://www.thecableco.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x265/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/e/ee-8switch-no-bg.png)

This is a typical niche vendor with an extensive online catalog but first look for the business space (stock - repairs, service) they have if you can find it (instant street view is always a good start). The rest speaks for itself…if one builds in a disclaimer to spread nonsense about power supplies (“The above information is from the manufacturer”). The ubiquitous marketing claptrap

(https://www.instantstreetview.com/@40.364406,-74.953897,29.12h,-4.64p,0.27z)

Greetings

No, not really, it’s like eating the pizza to see if it’s tasty. You don’t listen to the switch by the way, you put it in your system and listen to music.

Not sure quite what you’re up to, licking trucks, listening to switches? Each to their own I suppose. Takes all sorts.

Hallo Michael, Raum und Aufstellung der LS sind nach meiner Erfahrung ganz wesentlich, oft viel stärker als Unterschiede bei der Hardware; Einbindung von Subwoofer(n) kann hier hilfreich sein - Seidengon sagt mir ehrlicherweise nichts.

Erfahrung habe ich hier etwas aus eigenem Setup. Um nicht unnötig über nicht relevante Konstellationen zu sinnieren, wäre es hilfreich wenn Du mir etwas mehr über restliche Hardware verrätst- z.B. Pre- oder Vollverstärker mit Ausgang für Subwoofer/ regelbar? Natürlich nur wenn Du möchtest, dann bringe ich mich gerne mit ein - hat zuletzt bei meinem Sohn auch prima funktioniert.

Daneben empfehle ich, know-how Händler zu nutzen - wenn der innuos und acoustic plan führt, kann er nicht ganz verkehrt sein - kenne ich bei uns in der Gegend nur von Ohrenschmaus Uwe Prestel.

Bis dahin vielleicht schönes Wochenende und viel Spaß beim optimieren.

Gruß Helmut
falls Du mich direkt kontakten möchtest: [email removed by mods. Use PM instead]
Community mag hilfreich sein, aber von ursprünglichem Thema sind wir jetzt weg

This is the kind of audio junk I just hate. They offer a free trial and I got sucked in. Its smaller than it looks in the pictures, its really light with a plastic? case. Feels kinda cheap for the price. So the expectation bias after unpacking is it’s gonna be going back quick and I regret buying it, how much will the return shipping be?

What it is is surprising. Its a keeper! No regrets except it doesn’t look very splashy, in fact it looks out of place with the rest of my gear. I keep it hidden behind a SOtM sNH-10G w/sCLK EX clock module, which is a cool looking piece.

Happy Trails from an audiophool.

2 Likes

In sales, they call this the ‘Puppy Dog Close’. The kid wants a puppy, so you take it home to see how it fits with the family, of course the puppy is never returned… :joy:

Perhaps we should have a sanctioned burglary system where an approved volunteer, breaks in to ones home, removes the switch discreetly and then see how long it takes the listener to notice…

I had an old van on my garden for a year (COVID interrupted my disposal plans and I lost momentum) This displeases SWMBO and I was given constant reminders to attend to the situation.
Finally disposal occurred and it took two days before she noticed, and not because of the van being moved and the garden clear but she noticed the letter with the old log book return form on a table waiting to be posted. It’s amazing what people do not notice :joy:

1 Like

Any more Chris and I’ll lend you my EtherRegen. Then where would you be…

1 Like

You don’t like Puppies?

I couldn’t possibly eat a whole one :joy:

3 Likes

Put fur on it, and it’s a keeper for sure :joy:

Thats sick, but it made me laugh.

1 Like

I clicked on your link but don’t understand what you’re trying to show. Who or what is supposed to be at that location?

So where does the audiophile router fit into all this?
I can see a new market, in the UK, audiophile line filters, audiophile cable into the router.

The biggest improvement recently in my system at 60 has been ear wax removal, saved a fortune on kit and the music sounds wonderful.

4 Likes

Absolutely one of the best things you can do to improve your life and listening experience.