Value of audiophile network switches

Exactly that’s what I wanted to show : (you have to try to rotate the image 360° to find the shopping street, the company itself is hidden there). The company has an online catalog but does not have company warehouses worthy of the name at the address where it is located, a shopping street. It is usually an office with a telephone and the business model is mainly pre-financing by the customers who order something. In German, these are called “Kartonschieber” translated as “boxes sliders”.

The same can be said of the producer of the switch, the English company EE
with location in an office building (see streetview link :
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.174434,-1.761708,-43.19h,5p,1z )
The mentioned electronics modifications to an 8-port switch (EMI filtering, cristal oscillator) and “resonance-damping feet” are parts that can cost a few ten dollars and are absolutely out of proportion to the requested price unless you want to honor an artistic performance. The first thing I want to see as an electronics engineer with such a device is the inside (but are usually countermeasures taken with a seal for warranty) : often you can read the Oriental origin of the mainboard.
They aim at an audience that wants to pay for good quality but especially for the exclusivity of their products like Chord audio. Marketing does the rest.

Compare with the prices of companies that have been delivering top quality business switches for years such as Cisco, HP, UbiQuity, Netgear etc.

Good luck

Hmm…They must have a secret tunnel to the warehouse.

EE is a spin off of Chord Company. Check out the website https://chord.co.uk/ and check out the Rewards and Reviews. They are a prestigious company founded in 1984 with ties to Naim Audio.

I know my Audio is better with an Audiophile switch, I wonder what happens if I stick the 8Switch in my office network, can also make my business better?

Wow this is just too much.

So many snake oils out there and there just seems no end to it. Can people please stop suggesting zeros and ones can be improved? They are either zero or one. There is literally no in between.

This snake oil is actually guaranteed to make any network much worse because any company that is prepared to throw knowledge and science out the window to rip people off sure as hell won’t be capable enough to implement quality network hardware. Something even the big players struggle with.

So invest in a great home network from an actual networking hardware manufacturer instead and call it a day.

1 Like

This is actually a serious discussion. The world is indeed flat, look out of your window to see, how can it be otherwise?

Can you please de-bunk J Swensons findings about phase noise and leakage currents?

Some snake oils actually work. By all means miss out on the benefits but don’t mislead others into missing out unless you have some good grounds to do so. There is theory and audible proof positive. Your argument is that it is 0 or 1, not very compelling. A windup I guess?

1 Like

How does the internet even work? It’s amazing!

7 Likes

I don’t think phase noise would stop the Internet working but it may change the sound of your hifi. The change may be “amazing”.

Profound comment though.

Out of curiosity does galvanic isolation of ethernet also attract the ire of flat earthers?

Strange, don’t see any measurements in the document to prove any theory, I have three switches currently in my home network which has been changed over the years and I’ve never heard any difference in sound.
A well balanced and designed hifi system will always sound good.

You simply can’t influence the miles of internet network a streamed file will route through , my view is it’s pure snake oil.

9 Likes

Well you could at least try one. Then you would know.

J Swenson is a very well regarded engineer, dismissing his work on the basis of lack of measurement is a little light, trite.

My view and all my experience and trials tells me it makes a big difference, one that you may never enjoy… shame.

Such a BS “whatepaper”. It says buffers does not work (they do), because of “phase-noise overlay”. And if they work after all, you still have induced problem no. 2, “leakage current”. And if you have fiber optic or another galvanic isolation, you still have “phase-noise overlay” - and so it goes.

Ethernet is asynchronous, and does not need an advanced clock. And buffers for receiving asynchronous data do work very well.

4 Likes

Your experience and enjoyment can and will nobody take from you.

As an engineer, I dismiss Swenson’s paper from what he writes, not what he has left out.

Don’t try to argue with the true believers. It is fruitless.
All the magic of these special audiophile devices only works with audio. All other data flowing through the internet is not affected and don’t need any improvements. It’s only audio because audio is SO special and behave SO different from any other data. If online banking would behave like audio it would be a lot of fun. And everything we learned from analog audio reproduction is also true for the digital area … but only for audio. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Agreed. I was a professional photographer for 15 years, and never noticed any difference in any of my images caused by ethernet cable or any other (correctly functioning) network component, despite the fact that a large Photoshop file is many times larger than even an HD audio file. The blacks didn’t vary, nor the dynamic range, vibrancy and so on. Go figure.

5 Likes

Not very convincingly however, just saying he’s wrong isn’t very compelling.

A photo image isn’t the same as music? Tricky but I think I worked it out, one is seeing and one is hearing.

So what is the connection between analogue audio and on-line banking? I see them as different things. Maybe I’m not getting your point?

Digitally speaking, they’re much the same. Lots of 1s, lots of 0s, and nothing in between - not even the tiniest bit of snake oil :wink:

I did in the post over:

He is solving a nonexistent problem.

That’s your opinion and two sentences aren’t very convincing.

I wish there were more non existent problems, as solving them increases SQ.