Variable search performance

Nevertheless, I agree with @VidarDK and @Christoph. Of course I believe that many users do not have an issue, but it looks like there is an increasing number of users that report the exact same issue: very variable and slow search speed compared to 1.5., not having any network problems otherwise, not experiencing problems with Qobuz or Tidal searches in other SW apps or systems that use the Qobuz or Tidal SDKs. @dylan I observe that more than one other user also has a ASUS router, same as I do. Could this be the problem? Some hiccup when using ASUS routers?

1 Like

Not me, my router is a Fritzbox

I fully agree with you in the offer to help and think many others from this thread and other threads regarding Roon‘s search and streaming performance since 1.6 would like to help, too. Up to now @dylan is only asking about the used setup and infrastructure that you have well described and that consists in your case of very high performing components and services. This indicates to me that the problem seems to be generated outside of our domestic environment. I would propose to @dylan or @mike to come up with an exact testing protocol of searches including Qobuz or/and Tidal we all that suffer from the current performance irregularities could run to give Roon the data they need to see where the traffic is blocked. So far I gave up to give more data points to Roon due to lack of seeing what could be useful. But I‘m suffering a lot from this lack of performance. I stopped using the Radio function, do the weekly Qobuz exploration (new albums etc) in the Devialet Spark app instead of Roon, so in fact limit my Roon experience to streaming of local files. In other words Roon currently has for me less value as it had with v.1.5., which is a pity.

Hi @streamy68,

I’ve moved your posts into it’s own thread so we can take a closer look at what you’re experiencing here.

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

When you notice slow searches is there any other slow behavior in Roon, or just the search?

When this occurs, is it just the one search that is slow or if you perform other searches after that do you experience the same behavior? If you search for the same item again right after are things still slow?

Hi @dylan,

I briefly tested this morning several configurations, all of them showing the same behavior of variable search performance and also variable streaming performance (time to start or play after being paused).
For search I used Elvis Costello, New Model Army, Sum 41, The Beatles, Muse, Limp Bizkit. Forplaying I used New model Army from Qobuz, Lenny Cravitz from local library, Limp Bizkit from local library, Mork from Qobuz, Foo Fighters from local library.

Here is my setup and variations I did:

• Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs)

Mac mini (late 2014), 2.8GHz Intel Core i5, 8Gb Ram, 1Tb fusion drive (half full)
Alternative setup:
MacBook Pro (13 inch, 2016, Four Thunderbold 3 ports), 2.9 GHz Core i5, 8Gb Ram, 500 Gb Flash (half full)

• Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)

For both Core configurations:
Core is Ethernet wired (1Gb/s full duplex) to ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC87U (latest Asus FW), ASUS runs in AP mode and is connected to the router from my ISP (SFR France, ADSL 16Mb down / 1Mb up speed) NB6-MAIN-R3.5.8 that cannot be replaced by another router of choice, therefore the ASUS is in AP mode Ethernet wired to the NB6. The NB6 is a ADSL router, Wifi is HW turned off, it provides DHCP to the entire network. The lower 10 addresses are excluded from DHCP and QNAP server, TimeMachine, VU+ Satelllite receiver and the ASUS AP use fixed IP from this lower 10 addresses. DNS is provided by SFR and cannot be changed on the NB6. On the ASUS I can choose to take DNS from ISP or 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 Any of these choices does not change performance. The Devialet Dialog (used for my Phantoms) is also connected by Ethernet to the ASUS using DHCP. All clients (iPads, iPhone, Android Phones, laptops…) connect through Wifi (either on 2.4GHz or 5GHz). I have two distinct wifi, one 2.4GHz and one 5Ghz.
Alternative setup:
Only using the NB6, then with wifi (2.4GHz) enabled and the ASUS plugged off. All the rest remains the same, except that all Ethernet connections are connected to the NB6.

• Audio devices in use

Roon Ready:

• RPi3 with Digi+ board using snd_rpl_hifiberry_digi (ALSA) is connected to one Phantom through optical in. RPi3 connects through Wifi.
  • RPi2 with Digi+ board using snd_rpl_hifiberry_digi is connected to the Dialog through optical in. RPi2 connects through Ethernet

Airplay: AppleTV4 and AppleTV2, Airplay on Phantom (all through wifi)
System Output: of MacMini, Soundflower (2ch)

My main use of Roon is with RPi3 to Phantom through optical in.

• Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)

Local library is on an external 2Tb USB drive connected through USB3. I have 2200 Albums, 32k Tracks, 700 Albums are Hires, 850 MP3, the rest is CD quality. I’m using Qobuz (have cancelled Tidal since Roon1.6 has Qobuz integrated), have 360 Qobuz Albums added to my library (library has therefore around 2600 Albums, 37k Tracks)

My latest observations from today with my normal setup and the same with the alternative setups (using MacBook Pro as Core, using only NB6 and not NB6 as modem and ASUS RT-AC87U), Qobuz enabled:
Searching for Elvis Costello, New Model Army, Sum 41, The Beatles, Muse, Limp Bizkit one after another when in Album mode, search time:
Muse, Limp Biskit: 1-4 seconds, often 2s
The Beatles, Sum41,New Model Army: 2-7 seconds, often 4s
Elvis Costello: 2-30 seconds, often around 15s

I do not have any local Elvis Costello albums, but 2 tracks on samplers. I have around 50% of NewModel Army albums local, I have all Muse albums local, I have 30% of Limp Biskit local.

When I do the search without any music streaming/playing and do it on the Core the return is often within 2s. When music plays it get worse (2-30s), and when I stream from Qobuz and do a search it is worst. Elvis Costello takes e.g. 30s. There is not difference if i search on the Core or on an iPad. I use the latest iPadMini5 from 2019. I know my download speed with 16Mb is not terrific, but it is constant on that speed and I do not have any neighbors I need to share bandwidth as I live rural in an own house. On top of this all all services, like Qobuz on Devialet Spark, Internet TV (HD-Quality), or streaming on AppleTV work with the bandwidth I have. I’m not using internet TV, AppleTV etc. when using Roon. The only thing I do when using Roon is web surfing on the iPad, to search more data on listened music or the like.

I hope this can give you some ideas. As already mentioned a few times here with version 1.5 all was snappy using the same HW configuration (except for the iPad mini 5 that replaces a iPad mini 2).

It goes in both directions with Elvis Costello search it can take 2s, then next search, same entry takes again 2s or takes 20s. E.g. Elvis Costello search takes 7s, then new Model Army search takes 4s, then Elvis Costello search takes 30s, then Muse search takes 2s, then Elvis Costello search takes 2s, then Elvis Costello Search takes 30s. At least this shows me that search results are not locally stored or buffered.

Play after pause or moving the slider forward is also very variable in the time it takes to restart playing. Sometimes it is within 1-2s (acceptable), sometimes it takes very long (not normal). When streaming from Qobuz sometimes the blue color on the bar does the ‘scan’ function (like nightrider car (kit?) did.)

Hi @streamy68,

I appreciate the detailed information here! I’ve passed this information along to the team to aid in their investigation. As soon as I have further feedback from them I’ll be sure to update you ASAP.

Thanks!

Hi @streamy68,

I wanted to reach out because we’ve just released Roon 1.6 (Build 416). This update includes a fix for some performance problems we believe may be causing some users to experience slowness in Roon. Please give Roon an update and let us know if things have improved for you.

You can read the full release notes here:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.