Various connectivity and file access errors on media player (ref#0KHL7W)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble playing music

What best describes your playback issue?

· Playback starts, but I don't hear any music

Describe the issue

A host of issues including “Fatal Error could not create required lock file”, error connecting to NAS, inability to play files on local drive, error connecting to iOS remotes

Hi @Tim_Hartford,
This error indicates there are two instances of a Roon process attempting to run simultaneously - the MacOS lock file is preventing the second instance from running.

Try simply rebooting your machine. If that doesn’t work, then try this. Ideally, you have a Backup you can restore.

• Exit out of RoonServer
  • Navigate to your RoonServer’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Reinstall the RoonServer App from our Downloads Page to generate a new RoonServer folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Roon Server” and connect to the new database

Please keep us posted if this persists. Thank you!

I feel like there are certain components of your restore process that are assumed and aren’t fully explained and I keep going in circles and get back to the “Connection Failed message.

Choose your Roon Server

Interestingly I have Roon on my Macbook Pro and it’s not open, but it’s shown on the network. This is the view from my Mac Mini

I went through the restart process and through the process of renaming RoonServer_Old

Downloaded the new server software

Restored from backup

Confirm restore
Restoring backup

Then kept getting Connection failed message

Then out of desparation, tried this option

Configure Roon OS devices on your network

All leading back to the same issues

Can I delete ALL Roon related files and start over? Is the other Mac on the network the issue?

Can you give any examples of what you had trouble with? We’re in the process of improving our knowledge base and feedback like this is helpful.

That won’t do any damage but it’s also basically what you’ve already done with the steps I gave you.

This is possible because you can only have one Roon server active at a time per license. So if you’ve been trying to run two servers simultaneously that would explain it.

Well I’m only allowed one server. Roon does a good job of having me change the active server. So what’s next here?

Pardon me for jumping in, but a couple of points of clarification. You said:

Interestingly I have Roon on my Macbook Pro and it’s not open, but it’s shown on the network.

You may not have the Roon client open, but it would appear that the Roon Server on your Macbook Pro is running and active, so it shows up.

And that “Configure Roon OS devices on your network” will not apply to you, since I assume you don’t have any devices running the Roon Operating System (e.g. Nucleus); you are only running Roon Server on MacOS.

You could try stopping the Roon Server on your Macbook Pro to see if you can then connect to the Roon Server on your Mac Mini. Choose the Quit option in the Roon Server menu.

4 Likes

Thanks Geoff! Very helpful. So I stopped the Roon Server on my Macbook Pro and attempted again to restore from my backup, created a new Roon Server and the connection to the Roon Server still failed. Some captures below.

Restore successfully completed. Please relaunch to continue.

Why is nobody paying attention to the 127 octet? That is not a valid IP address. It is a loopback address.

AJ

1 Like

localhost for the server on the same machine, I thought

1 Like

Because it’s perfectly normal to see the localhost loopback on this screen for the Roon Server running on the same machine as the current Roon client…

The problem persists. Where do we go from here??

I think this is a valid point. 127.0.0.1 is only accessible from that machine (localhost), and if the network is correctly configured, it should display the private IP address (at least that is my experience.)

So, confirmation of network settings is needed. Ideally, everything should be set using DHCP. If the server is using a fixed IP address, I’d still use DHCP with address reservation.

PS. Why are there three Roon servers running? Only one should be active.

Because I have test setups that I play with?

And my network is using DHCP (+ reservations) throughout…

Moderator fight :joy:

1 Like

Sorry Geoff, I thought it was the OP’s setup when vieweing on my mobile.

What are my options here? Roon has been down for me since last Saturday. It’s now Thursday and I’m getting minimal support from Roon for specific actionable steps to address this issue. Not impressed.

After consulting with the rest of the team we think you’ve run into a migration error here. This can be resolved by:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Please note that this is a different procedure than the procedure we did earlier.

Thanks Daniel! This worked. I did run into an issue with accessing the files on my Synology DS218. Another user had the same issue apparently due to Apple’s security updates.
Error loading folder Unauthorized - After upgrading to the latest version (1353). His solution worked for me: “It was the Security & Privacy settings on the Mac Mini. After changing the Files & Folders access rights on the Mac Mini for Roon to full access Roon was able to find all files an my NAS again.”

1 Like

That’s great. I’m glad you’re able to go back to enjoying your music!