Vega ASIO output Issue

Hi, I am using Roon server/iPad combo and attached to my PC running server is an Auralic Vega DAC. When I try to play Roon via the ASIO driver, it only plays “once.” When I change tracks, it stops playing and only a reboot of the PC solves the problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hey @hammer – I’m going to follow up via PM so we can get some logs from you. Stand by!

I have the same issue now for over a month. It has to do with changing to hi-resdoultion. It hangs Roon completely. I have been in discussions with Auralic and it appears to be Roon at this point in time.

Thanks

Jeff

Yes, the problem seems to be related to high resolution files. I tried reinstalling Roon on the server, but still same issue…

@jeffzaret could you describe the steps you’re taking to trigger this issue? If we can reproduce it in house, I’m sure we can get this worked out.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.
First some background and info.
I am running Windows 10 on an Intel NUC. I want to first say that it did work before and now something has changed with your appliation/incorporation of the Auralic ASIO driver. The Auralic Speaker driver does work and it is seen as a WASAPI driver. I will also add that in doing a test on the Marantz HD1 DAC1 that did display the same issue.
The Auralic ASIO driver does work JRiver and HQ Player with all resolutions. I can use the JPlay ASIO driver in Roon with all resolutions and it works.

Roon is having issues recognizing the driver.The following are different inconsistencies I have seen.

There are times when I start Roon with the Auralic ASIO driver previously selected from a past session and it does not know what to do and there are times it says no device found. I have seen it when I do select the driver it does not ask for a zone which is another clue and of course does not play even though it things it is playing.

Sometimes I can disable the driver and reselect it and it will play standard Red Book (44.1K). There are times when it will not and not find the driver when selected. During these times you can not disable the driver under settings for Audio.

There have also been times when I will select the JPlay driver start a song then stop it and re-select the Auralic ASIO driver and it will play and then are there times when it will just not recognize it after doing this and again after selecting the driver you no longer can de-select it…

With HiRes files
You can start a standard resolution song and it will play then switch to a hi-res file and it no longer recognizes the driver and Roon for the most part is completely hung. At that point, you have close Roon, start over deselect driver and choose another driver or close Roon in Task Manager to get it to close. At this point I have seen here as well that you cannot disable the driver and have to reboot to get Roon to release what ever it is holding on to at that point in time.

You can start with songs with HI-Res file and it will not recognize and just hang at that point, like above

One final point it now seems in Windows 10 the ability to re-size the Window for Roon from full Window to a smaller size is gone as well. This is not a big of a concern and an anomaly and not sure where it lies with Roon or Windows.

Again, this is just with the ASIO driver for the Auralic Vega. I have been in lengthy discussions with Auralic and they have been able to re-produce the issue. I am told they have let their management aware of the issue and were going to let you guys know as well.

Just to let you know I ave been beta testing software for various companies for close to 25 years in a career of over 36 years in the computer industry. If there is anything else you need let me know.

Thanks

Jeff

@mike, I am having the exact same issue with the Auralic driver…just couldn’t describe it as well as Jeff. Thanks Jeff!

Hammer,
Your welcome. I tried not to get too crazy but specific enough.

Lets hope for a quick resolution.

Jeff

Thanks for the info here guys – we’re looking into this, so expect some more information in the next day or so.

Appreciate everyone’s patience!

We’ve looked at the logs and should have a Vega on the way real soon, guys. Hoping to have this resolved soon!

I’ve found when Roon can no longer talk to an ASIO driver it still sees, changing the sample rate max from 192 to disable and or back causes roon to start talking to the ASIO driver again.

This works with my Devialet ASIO driver.

Thanks for the detailed description, @jeffzaret. A Vega DAC arrived here yesterday, and I spent some time looking into this tonight. Some progress has been made, but I’m not sure I’ve successfully reproduced everything you’re reporting. Let me break it down:

There are times when I start Roon with the Auralic ASIO driver previously selected from a past session and it does not know what to do and there are times it says no device found. I have seen it when I do select the driver it does not ask for a zone which is another clue and of course does not play even though it things it is playing…

Is there a series of steps that you can describe that land you in this state reliably or semi-reliably?

Think about stuff like USB connect/disconnect, sleep/wake, use of other audio apps that might talk to the device, or other things like that that might be going on between your sessions.

With both ASIO and WASAPI in Exclusive mode, it’s important that only one app be trying to talk to the device at a time. It sounds like you have a lot of software–is it possible that at any point during your usage, another application was vying for the device?

I tried both sleep/wake of the computer and sleep/wake of the vega, and also plugging/unplugging the USB connection at a few different points in time. I haven’t run across any behavior like this yet. I plan to continue using the Vega+ASIO for the next several days in case something pops up in normal use.

With HiRes files you can start a standard resolution song and it will play then switch to a hi-res file and it no longer recognizes the driver and Roon for the most part is completely hung. At that point, you have close Roon, start over deselect driver and choose another driver or close Roon in Task Manager to get it to close. At this point I have seen here as well that you cannot disable the driver and have to reboot to get Roon to release what ever it is holding on to at that point in time.

I did see something like this. Maybe not exactly (I never had to reboot), but Roon is definitely getting hung up after a sample rate transition from redbook -> high res due to an unexpected message coming from the driver during this situation. This will be fixed for the next build.

You can start with songs with HI-Res file and it will not recognize and just hang at that point, like above

This is consistent with my observations too, and will be fixed in the next build.

Brian,
Thanks for the update.

Just so understand I am using an Intel NUC which has the latest Intel i5 processor in it with 8 gig of RAM. I am running the latest version of Windows 10. I did load a trial version of HQ Player which has now expired to test at the time. I do not have any other media playing software (now) on the NUC besides I think Media Player which maybe buried somewhere. At this point in time I have not disabled any services so it is basically stock.

This statement refers to the process of playing a “session” in Roon then closing Roon down and shutting off the NUC. In a day or so I turn everything back on to play and it will have the above issue… sometimes but not always.

Brian,
The above I responded earlier this evening. It is now three hours later.
I did some more checking this evening and I realize I do owe you an apology. In my previous configuration, I was moving the HDMI cable from my DVD player to the NUC so I could see the NUC and run Roon. I did not think this would have caused an issue since I did not think HDMI would come in to play since my audio is being used by USB cables. I purchased a new TV over the weekend and I ran two HDMI cables to the TV on two separate inputs, so one would be exclusively for the TV video and one exclusively for the NUC.

To make this a short story … it appears everything is now working, now that I am not changing HDMI cables “live”. I can change from “redbook” to hi-res, 24/96 and DSD64 (DSD over DOP) and back without issue. I am at a quandary why the video inputs would affect Roon in that way but evidently it does (did).

I will do some more testing in the next few days and let you know over the weekend.

Thanks again
Jeff

Hi, I finally had some time to test…my setup is a Windows 10 PC running Roon server that is connected to an Auralic Vega via USB. I control Roon from an iPad 2 air.

When I try to use the ASIO driver, Roon is unable to play hi-Rez files.

For example, from a cold boot, (so everything is starting fresh), I can play red book flac files no problem. However, I cannot play 192 / 24 bit files. One example is Alanis morissette jagged little pill purchased from hdtracks. When I try to play it, Roon (on the iPad) briefly flashes “select and audio zone” and then stops. When I hit play again, the same message flashes. However, at this point, I can go back to playing red book files.

I am running the most recent ASIO driver from the auralic website (v3.2). Nothing else is using the ASIO driver. My Vega is HW v1.2 SW v1.5…on a separate note, has anyone received the firmware update from Auralic?

I hope you can duplicate this issue. Thank you for your help. Hammer

Hammer,
I still believe there is still an issue but not sure where it is exactly. I believe it is in "Roon’s court. I have been in discussions with Auralic and they too have seen this issue. I think that Brian has stated they have seen the issue with hi-res files and it should be fixed in the next release. (??)

As far as a software update from Auralic, I have not one yet.

Jeff

Hi Hammer,
We can expect to see issues reproduced by Brian fixed in the next build released by Roon.

I too experienced issues with hi res ASIO into the Vega, but assumed it was something I was doing wrong. So thankyou to you and @jeffzaret for drawing attention to it.

Are you referring to a firmware update for the Vega ? The Aries updates automatically but the Vega needs to be returned to the dealer for a firmware update. In my case in Australia that meant being shipped to Sydney (apparantly firmware updates are beyond our talents here in Melbourne), so I haven’t bothered doing it. I’m not sure what a firmware update to the Vega would do, but suspect it would enable higher level DSD support. I haven’t checked if that is the case.

Thanks Andy and Bob for comfirming the problem and I’m not doing something wrong. I guess when support for HQPlayer is released, the issue becomes moot. I can’t wait!

Build 88 is now live guys! :tada: Let us know how it’s going @jeffzaret @hammer

Not really moot @hammer. I found that the ASIO Vega driver works with HQ Player, but I could not get the WASAPI driver working with it.