M2 MacBook Air, 24GB RAM, running Venture 13.2.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

I just use this computer

Connected Audio Devices

Sonos speakers, but mostly headphones

Number of Tracks in Library

About 12k tracks

Description of Issue

So, in the last few months Roon has started crashing on a regular basis. I’ve submitted the crash reports to Apple, and tried to send them to Roon support but it seems like this is the only support channel (kind of a bummer!)

It’ll crash mid-song, and sometimes just after hitting Play. The crash closes the application and opens the “Send to Apple” dialog. I’ve seen similar issues and some more details based on that:

• I don’t use Qoboz or any of the other streaming solutions. I just listen to files on my computer.
  • I’ve seen the advice to create a backup and restore from it. Unfortunately, I started the backup yesterday morning and it’s still running. Is twenty-four hours an expected runtime for creating a backup?
  • The only thing I can think of that might be causing this crash is that I keep my music collection in my iCloud folder. I can try changing that, but that has never been a problem in the several years that I’ve been using Roon - it’s only in the last three years that I can’t get through an album without the application crashing.
1 Like

Hi @Tom_MacWright ,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the forum! Can you please let us know the exact local time + date of the next crash? We can enable logging to see if we can get more clues as to what is causing the crash.

Sure, just got a crash, should be logged at 4:01 or so.

Hey @Tom_MacWright,

Thanks for sharing that! From reviewing your crash report, it is clear that you are running into a known .Net bug we are actively working through. You can follow the tracking thread here:

A temporary workaround for many users is to set up RoonServer on your Mac core, rather than the all-in-one version of Roon. You can learn more about that here:

Thanks for the update. It looks like that bug has been present since September 2022, which is not very encouraging in terms of it getting fixed. Best of luck finding a solution, this is really pretty unfortunate.

Hey @Tom_MacWright,

It has indeed been a long-standing issue, and our developers have put a high priority on the ticket, so I’m confident and optimistic about getting a solution out to you and all those experiencing this issue soon!

I can’t speak on specific timelines, but I can assure you this issue isn’t being put on the back burner. :+1:

Could you please provide a current status on this? Thanks -

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.